Gods help me, I bought a Wii.

My kids want a Wii mainly for Smash Bros, my son has been following its development for more than a year now I think. :LOL:

I have to figure out what a Mii is now, and does Wii do online stuff yet?

Took the final bit of the plunge this morning and ordered 4 used games from EB:

-Billy and Mandy's Grim Adventures
-Sonic Rings
-Tamagotchi
-Rayman Raving Rabbids (the first one, not the latest)

I figure that and Wii sports should be enough to last 'em through the day, shouldn't it? I decided to go for some cheaper titles until we knew what they really wanted, kids prefer a bit of quantity over quality on xmas I've found. ;)

If that Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy game is anything like the demo I played of the PS2 version, it's... not a good game. At all. I'd try it before your kids do.

The good news Dig is there should be a decent lineup of MP games on the Wii come spring as well as a couple really great SP games.

For multiplayer games the entire family can play SMB Brawl, Mario Kart, Wii Play (packin), and Mario Party will all probably offer some good laughs. The first two, notably, should have a LOT of replay value. And don't forget the Guitar Hero and Rockband style games.

For singleplayer, as an FPS fan, you guys really need to check out Metroid Prime 3. Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and RE4 are all very high quality games that make good use of the Wii.

Not every one of those games will be "your thing" but that should offer a decent initial selection to get a couple great games on a platform lacking a huge libary of such.

Dig - couple of things:

You don't need an SD card for the Wii to play VC games, and even if you have one it's simply for storage (you can't download a VC game to a SD card and play it from the card - it has to be in the systems internal memory to play - so in essence, the only thing it's good for is offloading VC games that you've already played if you run out of room - so you don't have to re-download them).

The Wii has a wireless receiver built in and can connect to any b/g/n wireless network - pretty fast too - takes me about 30 seconds to download games (even bigger roms like SM64 for example)

The system itself comes with one controller and one nunchuck - seriously consider getting more for "family fun"

Classic controller, classic controller, classic controller - if you want to play any VC games...just get one of these...for gods sake just trust me on this one. Half the games won't play without either a classic controller or GC controller (and since the GC controller is punishment for shoplifting in some countries...)

Wavebird controllers DO work with the Wii - keeps the system wireless and you from tripping and falling to your (coffee table) death when the kids are playing with their wii (no pun intended)

Did you get Zelda? If not...why not?

Lastly, you have little ones...consider that the Wii has a completely free web browser (opera) SERIOUSLY consider setting up the parental controlls for this before they get it (there are NO restrictions or stopgates through the opera browser - would hate to see you get home and see www.bigboobiesforjoo.com on the tele!)

Jack

Well they're both pretty avid PC gamers too, so they get variety. ;)

They both love Rayman Rabbids on the PC & DS, I figure it for the Wii is a no-brainer. The most played GC game of theirs is Smash Bros, followed by Kirby's Air Ride.

My son loves this one on Wii (Rayman) and just got Mario Galaxy (which has two-player co-op) for his bday.

Dig,

You do realize there are 2 versions of Rayman Raving Rabbids on Wii? Version 2.0 came out recently and it's the one that is in a Wii commercial, the one where you chug down soda with the Wiimote. :D I about laughed my arse off seeing that. I almost wanted to buy one, then I got a hold of myself. LOL

Tommy McClain

Yeah, I know there are two. I only got the first one since I'm so cheap and I figure they'll have xmas money to go and buy their own games with the day after... :p

And thanks for all the tips Jack! I'm not too worried about them and an open browser, they both have their own PCs with unrestricted web access and have for years. I've had some talks with them about what is right/wrong/good/bad on the web and how I want them to avoid "bad" sites and they have/do.

I figure it's better to educate 'em and teach them self-control than to rely on firewalling them, they'll be able to get around a firewall someday.

Am I nuts or are there like 4 or 5 Zelda games? Which is best?

For Wii there's only the The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (also for GCN).

Also since nobody has mentioned it before, the best 3rd party effort on Wii is without doubt Zak & Wiki, a really nice puzzler / adventure game. Go check it out, could be ideal for the kids.

For Wii there's only the The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (also for GCN).

Also since nobody has mentioned it before, the best 3rd party effort on Wii is without doubt Zak & Wiki, a really nice puzzler / adventure game. Go check it out, could be ideal for the kids.

Yeah, that's a good suggestion. While it doesn't really have co-op, it is nice to sit with someone and try to figure out the puzzles.

I so suck. :rolleyes:

I finally told Chris about the Wii and she wasn't mad, more like relieved...she was getting ready to go into full panic mode tomorrow morning when she got off work over it. :LOL:

So it's all cool, it's all good. Told her what I did, why, how, and what I paid for it all. No problems, Digi is not only forgiven but gets brownie points. (I LOVE it when a plan comes together. 8) )

So what do I do? Go and fuck it all up by adding another $62 to the pile for Wii Play and another remote. :rolleyes:

It's a disease I have, I just thought it would top off the thing so nicely. 9 more multi-player games as well as an extry remote, (which will come in AWFUL handy for when Bryce comes by which is pretty much every day. ;) ), at that price just seemed like a no-brainer.

Right now it is feeling like I have no brain too. :oops:

I can not buy anything more for them for xmas, not a thing. We'll stuff stockings full of goodies for them and I'll set the Wii up the night before so they wake to it all hooked up and working, that's gonna be their xmas morning.

I can not buy anything more for them for xmas, not a thing. We'll stuff stockings full of goodies for them and I'll set the Wii up the night before so they wake to it all hooked up and working, that's gonna be their xmas morning.

They probably go nutso with excitement. Just remember to remind them to use the wrist straps otherwise your new shiny TV might have a big hole in it. :p ( I am still haunted by the pictures of your GCN :p)

( I am still haunted by the pictures of your GCN :p)
:LOL: I remember that! The hammer! Good times.

Wii Play is a no brainer if you want an extra controller... the games are pretty average, but hey, the entertainment they bring for the price premium ($10?) is well worth it. Having said that, it's saddening to see great games pushed out of top ten sales charts every month for the damn thing.

Wario Ware Twisted is a great game to play with people. Honesly, that 60 bucks is better spent on Mario Galaxy. The game does support a 2 player mode, and has tons of depth. I know you're not buying full priced games, but I think in the long run, you're kids will thank you for it.

Back