So I finally got myself a new TV - LG 42LE8500

Npl

Veteran
Bought this for 900€ incl shipping, got it last monday. Here are some overall impressions:

Picture Quality (and settings)
My primary use is PS3 for Games & Bluray. Quality is great as far as I can tell, I dont have the expertise and reference point for an objective review.
I have some beefs with the profiles tough, some options are locked down in various profiles - options I would need to change so I can use the convenient switching between profiles.
For example local led dimming is disabled for "games" (probably lies withing the post processing block which seems to be disabled as whole in this profile).
And worse, for the "movie" profile you cant select your "blacklevel" - is defaults to the setting that correspondences to the PS3`s "limted HDMI range". As I want to use "Full range" this leads to total lack of contrast in very dark/bright areas if "movie" is enabled.
I ended up configuring the "standard" profile for watching movies and am switching to "games" when interactivity is required.

I also unexpectedly still receive analog TV over cable (canceled & not paying since years), but quality quite frankly is bad. probably the cable-company wants to push its DTV boxes and the feed is extremely shitty.
Sound Quality
Low Profile TV - means bass has a notable lack of volume. Would have preferred a thicker screen and better sound. It not too bad however, just dont expect too much. As I often game/watch late at night I will probably opt for Bluetooth headphones to keep my neighbors from complaining​
DLNA
  • Doesnt play mkv at all
  • Attempt to play a m2ts file (AVC) pretty much hange the player
  • doesnt support internal/external subtitles
  • doesnt allow selecting between multiple (in-file) audio-streams
  • anamorphic streams arent played back in correct aspect-ratio
So its a decent effort, but the biggest issue is probably the total lack of mkv support. Since I used my PS3 as mediaplayer I already am primary using mp4 files however.
Lack of subtitle-support is the biggest drawback for me.​
USB
  • Placed inconveniently on the backside far away from the edge of the screen, will likely buy a USB-extender and glue the connector to the socket or edge of the screen
  • mp4,avi,mkv all supported.
  • doesnt even show m2ts files.
  • able to select between multiple audiostreams
  • supports one subtitle per file - yet you have the (grayed out) option to select between subtitle-languages - probably for some other format than I am using (.srt)
  • doesnt support in-file subtitles (atleast for avi, havent checked with mkv)
  • anamorphic streams properly supported in correct aspect-ratio
media-support is way better then through DLNA, theres little I could ask for except supporting subtitles within avi-files (my preferred way is to rip DVDs with english audio + subs and german audio). Way better then on PS3 aswell so this will quickly become my way of watching movies...probably should invest in a 2.5 external HDD for this reason (can be powered through USB unlike the 3.5 counterparts)​
Random ramblings
  • Cant LG hire someone competent to translate their menu options? The german menus are horrible. "Off", "Low", "High" translates to "Aus", "Tief", "Hoch" - "Tief" meaning "Deep" and not "Low". This threw me off as I dint knew which setting meant stronger blacklevel for example.
  • wasnt able to feed my PC to the TV. Seems the HMDI-cable is borked, I had to cut of the edge so it fits in the GFX-card (connector is right at the edge of the card) so no easy swapping for another (working) cable without molesting it.

Overall Im quite satisfied, works great with PS3 and the USB mediaplayer is not perfect but better than I expected it. Would be great if DLNA could support the same files as USB-mode does.

Do any of you have experience calibrating TVs, are there some sets of pictures and good instructions online?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back