NPD Nov. You know you want it!

Next gen tie ratios:

Thanks to Credit Suisse:

PS3 4.01
Wii 3.86 (not including Wii Sports)
360 6.85

Overall hardware units were up 26% y/y counting current and next gen consoles and handheld sales. The PS3 was up 285% sequentially and 137% y/y and the tie ratio improved to 4.01 from last month's 3.82. The Wii increased 89% sequentially and 106% y/y, with a tie ratio of 3.86, not including the Wii Sports title bundled with the system. The Xbox 360 was up 51% y/y and up 110% sequentially, while maintaining a strong life-to-date tie ratio of 6.85. NDS sales rose 67% y/y, while PSP increased 38%.

Then perhaps the premise is shaky ? Why would dev not develop for PS3 if only NA doesn't perform as well (Europe has English anyway) ? My point was looking at NA alone and jumping to the larger conclusion may be flawed.

As Laa-yosh said many western developers don't give a damn about Japan, their games don't sell there anyway so the point stands for NA. And britain for the most part follows NA sales trends more so than european with a few exceptions such as Football.

They would still count as part of the PS3 package.

Guerilla Games has a good PSP game so far and the trailers/demos of KZ2 looks convincing. If Sony markets it right (like MS for Gears), it should be at least an attention grabber. As I mentioned, I am not looking at individual titles but the entire PS3 game library. In any case, these are just personal perceptions/opinion at this stage.

Uncharted looks great, fun demo, lots of marketing.... bomb. As you said just perceptions and opinion. Reality is the decider.

EDIT: As for people citing million sellers on 360 and PS3... only 2 million sellers for PS3 in 2007 is good to know since this is a fact. The 360 numbers is dodgy and it would be moot if people try to combine 2 years of 360 million sellers to compare with Wii and PS3. It looks like Wii is indeed a monster... handicapped hardware sales and stellar first year title performance even though hardcore gamers constantly bitch about lack of games. The point is to drive digital entertainment into everyone's life. Nintendo is certainly leading the way there.

What's dodgy about the 360 numbers? If you have a problem with something specific, say it, don't just try to FUD the whole argument.

Guerilla Games has a good PSP game so far and the trailers/demos of KZ2 looks convincing. If Sony markets it right (like MS for Gears), it should be at least an attention grabber. As I mentioned, I am not looking at individual titles but the entire PS3 game library. In any case, these are just personal perceptions/opinion at this stage.

Gears has already sold what 3 or 4 million? There's a historical reference there.

I'm not saying it doesnt look like it could be good, just that it hasnt earned the right to be mentioned in the same sentence as MGS, GT5, and FF. These are historic, hardware-selling franchises. Sony has hyped it to be something big but the game doesnt have the pedigree to have earned that.

I know youre looking at the library angle, and maybe youre right, but having to make the case that hardware-selling titles arent important, is a position i wouldnt envy defending.

Yes, the network effect is something that is a barrier of entry and an asset. But Sony has its own too, though starting late. I have my own clique of PSN gamers to play with regularly and it seems more of my real life friends are joining me too. The onus is on Sony to find an identity for this crowd (similar to how Nintendo found one for Wii). As for feature set and ease of use, the ball is in Sony's court.

Again, Sony finds itself in a position where it must reverse a trend where XBL is viewed as the superior online service.

We can talk about different strategies by MS and Sony but I'd prefer to base it on real events. Currently, my belief is that....

Isnt that statement contradictory? Are we gonna base it on real events or your beliefs? :)

Seriously though, Sony has already admitted price is a huge problem for them with the 399 SKU, so i think in the buying season most call this generations armageddon (holiday 08), the price is more than just a footnote on strategy, it could very well be the most important factor.

In the end there are few surprises here, we knew 360 would outsell ps3 this holiday, we figured the Wii would outsell 360, so all it as expected.

360 numbers are a little dissapointing, I thought they had the potential to pull off 1million this month, but I think the large PS3 pricedrop took some wind out of their sales, with that taken into consideration, 780k is quite good IMO.

Sony is 'ok'. They are in the position to get 1.5 million for the two holiday months combined, and I really think that is as good as they could've hoped.

Although they continue to fall behind MS, I think they are keeping themselves close, and given some aggressive pricing this spring, could find themselves turning things around, though that's definately a very slim chance.

I'm really curious about how the Arcade pack fared, and how much of a factor it was in boosting the 360's sales. I have a hunch it may be a very significant reason they were able to move nearly 800k units in the face of a PS3 pricedrop, and massive Wii availability.

In the end there are few surprises here, we knew 360 would outsell ps3 this holiday, we figured the Wii would outsell 360, so all it as expected.

360 numbers are a little dissapointing, I thought they had the potential to pull off 1million this month, but I think the large PS3 pricedrop took some wind out of their sales, with that taken into consideration, 780k is quite good IMO.

Sony is 'ok'. They are in the position to get 1.5 million for the two holiday months combined, and I really think that is as good as they could've hoped.

Although they continue to fall behind MS, I think they are keeping themselves close, and given some aggressive pricing this spring, could find themselves turning things around, though that's definately a very slim chance.

I'm really curious about how the Arcade pack fared, and how much of a factor it was in boosting the 360's sales. I have a hunch it may be a very significant reason they were able to move nearly 800k units in the face of a PS3 pricedrop, and massive Wii availability.

Why would you think they would get 1 million? The 360 and the PS3 cost way too much for that to happen. Of all of the consoles, the PS3 is going to be the most difficult to judge because it had the price cut w/ Black Friday and Xmas sales, so we don't know what exactly caused the rush to the registers. The PS3 is 5 million behind the 360 here in the states. If Sony were to outsell the 360 starting December 2007 by 100k, it wouldn't catch up until November 2012. When you look at software sales, it becomes pretty clear that Sony is going to stay in third place.

Gears has already sold what 3 or 4 million? There's a historical reference there.

I'm not saying it doesnt look like it could be good, just that it hasnt earned the right to be mentioned in the same sentence as MGS, GT5, and FF. These are historic, hardware-selling franchises. Sony has hyped it to be something big but the game doesnt have the pedigree to have earned that.
But there was no Gears before unlike MGS, GT, HALO either yet it sold by the bucketloads. MS also did well to bundle it with 360's in Europe. Doing so they connected more effectively the hardware sales with their ace title. GOW was receiving huge and continuous press all the time. And not only through the internet.

On the other hand Sony does this sporadically for its games. They did the same for Uncharted.

The only time we saw Killzone 2 was once in 2005 and once this summer. Since then it dissappeared. Sony hypes it to be something big, but it doesnt do it systematically. They should have been reminding people all the time and make sure that more hear about its games.

Just curious, how many million sellers in 360's first year ?

It's a good question - did the 360 have more million sellers in its first year than the PS3? The answer is yes. Finding accurate worldwide sales is hard, so I have graphed U.S. sales from vgchartz over the first year of each console's life.

trend.PNG

These are the first 5 most likely million sellers on PS3, and the 12 first million sellers on 360 that performed equal or better in the same timeframe. Some slow-burning games that eventually sold a million on 360 are omitted.

Note they didn't all reach 1 million in U.S. and these are U.S. figures shown, but the graph still speaks to the relative health of the two consoles' software sales. I think the graph speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
XBL does not sell consoles except to the hardcore.

Most people still don't play online.

Even with X360, most owners probably have not paid to get XBL Gold. Maybe they did some free trials.

XBL does not sell consoles except to the hardcore.

Most people still don't play online.

Even with X360, most owners probably have not paid to get XBL Gold. Maybe they did some free trials.

Has Microsoft ever released the official Xbox Live Gold numbers? There must be quite a few subscribers now, especially with Halo 3 and CoD4 having sold around ~5 million copies.

using WW install base might be skewing your results, I don't really know, but NPD is NA sales.
Wii: 6 million
PS3: 2.44 million
360: 7.8 million

I believe thats NPD's currents on the 3.

Of course they are.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Making the corrections, we can see a larger % of PS3 owners purchased AC than 360 owners (16% to 13%) and the numbers for COD are essentially even (19% to 20%).

So across the platforms the result is essentially a push. While the gross figures for 360 COD sales are astounding, they are mirrored on the PS3 when installed base is considered.

The only statistically significant difference actually lies in the 360's internal numbers, where 20% of the base purchased COD and only 13% purchased AC.

Previous assumptions based upon incorrect statistics can be ignored. This data doesn't show an advantage for MS with Live! over the PS3's free offering. It only hints at a possible preference of 360 owners to prefer online gaming over single player.

Of course they are.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Making the corrections, we can see a larger % of PS3 owners purchased AC than 360 owners (16% to 13%) and the numbers for COD are essentially even (19% to 20%).

So across the platforms the result is essentially a push. While the gross figures for 360 COD sales are astounding, they are mirrored on the PS3 when installed base is considered.

The only statistically significant difference actually lies in the 360's internal numbers, where 20% of the base purchased COD and only 13% purchased AC.

Previous assumptions based upon incorrect statistics can be ignored. This data doesn't show an advantage for MS with Live! over the PS3's free offering. It only hints at a possible preference of 360 owners to prefer online gaming over single player.

You are ignoring that cod4 and AC had much more competition on the 360 for peoples money. AC and COD4 are the only games that sold well on the PS3 in november. The 360 also had halo3/GH3/RB/mass effect all post atleast 300k in sales. Heck the 360 collectors edition of AC outsold uncharted. It was nice to see a few PS3 games sell well it does not mean the system is selling software like the 360. Small user base is getting old as an excuse. Gears put up near 1 million for the 360 with a similar user base last november.

This month was a near disaster for sony. They have thrown every thing but the kitchen sink at november which included a week of post black friday sales last years did not have. Dispite all that they could not even match what the 360 did last year. Sony needs to go back to the drawing board and try again because what they tried in november did not work.

MS really needed a price cut this x-mass. With that software library they should of been able to do a million in november but price is still a major factor. While the 360 is a software monster they really need to jump start the hardware sales. 2 years in and they have only sold 7 million in NA it really needs to be more if they want to be able to extend the generation a few years and sit back and collect cash like sony did with the PS1/PS2.

Last edited by a moderator:
But there was no Gears before unlike MGS, GT, HALO either yet it sold by the bucketloads. MS also did well to bundle it with 360's in Europe. Doing so they connected more effectively the hardware sales with their ace title. GOW was receiving huge and continuous press all the time. And not only through the internet.

On the other hand Sony does this sporadically for its games. They did the same for Uncharted.

The only time we saw Killzone 2 was once in 2005 and once this summer. Since then it dissappeared. Sony hypes it to be something big, but it doesnt do it systematically. They should have been reminding people all the time and make sure that more hear about its games.

If we were having this discussion in December of 06 i would agree with you, but its 07 and the first Gears title was a smash.

I'm not saying KZ cant be good and sell well, i'm saying it that when it is mentioned in the same breath as MGS, FF, and GT5, it implies that KZ is equally assured the success those titles will likely have - and its not.

Sure, KZ was only shown one or twice, yet we consistently see its initials bandied among the pool of titles that will reverse Sony's fortunes.

If we were having this discussion in December of 06 i would agree with you, but its 07 and the first Gears title was a smash.

I'm not saying KZ cant be good and sell well, i'm saying it that when it is mentioned in the same breath as MGS, FF, and GT5, it implies that KZ is equally assured the success those titles will likely have - and its not.

Sure, KZ was only shown one or twice, yet we consistently see its initials bandied among the pool of titles that will reverse Sony's fortunes.

But why is it not?

Is it because it lacks somewhere? Is it because it cant be as good as MGS, FF, GT in terms of quality? We currently dont know that. We only see the same potential in terms fo quality.
Is it because there was no previous game that had a smash hit success?? Gears of War didnt ave either but it was a smash hit. And who says that a game that didnt have a succesful predecessor cant become a smash hit?

So what is it? Why despite the fact that its initials are "bandied among the pool of titles that will reverse Sony's fortunes" it wont succeed at doing so?

It is I believe as I said the fact that PS3's IP's arent getting the right hype and Sony doesnt show much from the games. They are constantly quiet and reveal things sporadically. Only when the game is near release they show things. Which is bad. Uncharted suffers from the same reason.

Nesh, I think you're missing the point. Expletive is not saying it can't reach the same sales levels, what he's saying is its not as guaranteed as the other games, which its not. The rest of your post really doesn't matter because you didn't actually address what he said, and if you did get it your comments really don't make much sense then.

Nesh, I think you're missing the point. Expletive is not saying it can't reach the same sales levels, what he's saying is its not as guaranteed as the other games, which its not. The rest of your post really doesn't matter because you didn't actually address what he said, and if you did get it your comments really don't make much sense then.

??
I just explained why it is not quaranteed.

Double ?? Then what you said was just a drawn out version of what he said...

Well basically yes. I just explained why I believe KZ2 might not do as well as Sony is expecting. He didnt say anything about the possible reasons he believes Killzone 2 might not do as well.

He only said it might not.

You are ignoring that cod4 and AC had much more competition on the 360 for peoples money. AC and COD4 are the only games that sold well on the PS3 in november. The 360 also had halo3/GH3/RB/mass effect all post atleast 300k in sales. Heck the 360 collectors edition of AC outsold uncharted. It was nice to see a few PS3 games sell well it does not mean the system is selling software like the 360.

Nope, not ignoring, just not relevant to this particular aspect of the discussion or what it is that I was looking to analyze.

I was looking at the success of multiplatform games across both consoles, taking the user base into consideration.

There's no question that the 360 sells more software than the PS3, that's easily determined by the attach rate, so there's little use in looking into that.

The purpose of this was to see if Developers have a reason to continue to produce multiplatform games for the PS3, and it appears that they do.

Clearly, the software attach rate itself demonstrates that exclusive titles need to be subsidized by Sony in order for them to recover the revenue lost by not going multiplatform.

This month was a near disaster for sony. They have thrown every thing but the kitchen sink at november which included a week of post black friday sales last years did not have. Dispite all that they could not even match what the 360 did last year. Sony needs to go back to the drawing board and try again because what they tried in november did not work.

I disagree. I think this month was actually a success for Sony. If you start with the premise that they will never catch up to MS's NA sales and only need to maintain a viable presence in the market, they've shown they can do that. Despite having a console that is insanely expensive without any clear benefit. If they can maintain a presence in the market, they can provide first party games that will attract a certain percentage of buyers as well as providing Blu-Ray. And let's face it, the entire reason the PS3 is overly expensive, launched late, and behind the 360 is because Sony is pushing an optical format and MS isn't.

MS really needed a price cut this x-mass.

Why? You've already demonstrated that the PS3 can't possibly overtake the 360, and they have still managed to build this insurmountable lead with what I consider to be an overly aggressive price point.

Why? You've already demonstrated that the PS3 can't possibly overtake the 360, and they have still managed to build this insurmountable lead with what I consider to be an overly aggressive price point.

Right, dropping price is something to do when you're over supplied and/or sales are languishing. I'm not sure you really want to push into the casual market at a loss on the hardware as its unlikely they'll shell out enough on games to make that up quickly.

Microsoft's sales are fine at its current price and dropping now would just lead to a big dead spot early in 2008. It's quite probable they will outsell the wii in december anyway due to supply.

Back