AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes sense that higher levels of AA/AF would be efficient on the shaders. Somewhere around here there was a graph showing that after the initial hit performance didn't drop much at all for higher levels of AA/AF. If AMD fixed the texturing issue, which I'd say is highly likely, then it could just be really good scaling that pulls them ahead on the Vantage Xtreme benchmarks.

If we are really looking at something thast ~50% faster than a 9800GTX at only 180 Euro's (~£150??) then thats truly incredible.

I didn't think anything would make me turn back to ATI at this point but I'll be happy to change my mind if this is the case. Especially if it means I don't need a new PSU!

If we are really looking at something thast ~50% faster than a 9800GTX at only 180 Euro's (~£150??) then thats truly incredible.

I didn't think anything would make me turn back to ATI at this point but I'll be happy to change my mind if this is the case. Especially if it means I don't need a new PSU!

Hold on a sec. Who's saying "at least 50% faster than a 9800 GTX"?

the 4850 is approximately = 9800 GTX
even the 4870 is likely not to be 50% faster

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7740&Itemid=1

No, wait a moment.
When Ati starts to make miracle? And why are they going to sell it for 169€?
Holy frack! With HD4870 they even can match 9800GX2 in some test... and with this price crossfire solution will hurt very hard Nvidia, above all the GTX260..

You do realize you're getting hyped up over performance in a singular synthetic benchmark and assuming real-world performance will be equivocal, right?

And yet I got a 8800GT a day after launch for only $230. Best money I ever spent on pc hardware. Until ATI gets it's shit together on AF performance it will be hard to take them seriously.
Then you should also know that the 8800GT shortage begain a day or two after the reviews hit the web and you were one of the few lucky ones.

How does a 4850 matching a 9800GTX in Vantage equate to a 4870 matching 9800GX2?

4850 = X2609 (or higher see above)

according to ATi 4870 = 4850 x 1,30

=>

4870 ~ X3400 (or higher see above)

so at least in Vantage the 4870 can approach a 9800GX2 (within 5%)

My hack job:

59957757hy3.jpg

Some one better versed with PS can probably change the angle (tilt) for RV770 and scale it better ..

Side note:

625 (official clock for 4850) * 800 * 2

There's a magical number. I thought it would run for the highend, but looks like BOTH versions lived up to the PR. :D

Well if we believe the 800SP for a moment, then the benefit of GDDR5 suddenly looks more valuable, unlike GDDR3 vs GDDR4.

I just heard that HD 4850 performance is similar to the 8800 GTS 512MB. So perhaps the hype was not all correct...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back