New pool pump

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Shopping for new pool pumps is as fun as shopping for parts for the furnace, a/c, or pool heater.
1f610.png
:|

Not quite sure about anything, yet I'm already pressured in my head to guarantee whatever I'm gonna do is going to work splendidly. I hate my expectations for myself!
1f641.png
:(

Ignore me, I'm in my whiny "THIS IS HARD!" phase of the research bit. It'll get better once I order the pump and then start worrying about fun stuff like PVC. (Which is 2-1/2" and not 2" like I thought. Keep forgetting that as it adds an exponential amount of difficulty since it's very much oversized for our pool...but I LIKE it that way. <sigh> )

I don't really expect any help/advice here, I just posted it to Facebook and figured not enough people there would understand my dilemma or the crap place my mind is at right now. It's not like it's a surprise a 15 year old pump that I've been babying/replacing bits on for over a decade gives out, it's just the straw that broke my spirit in the pile of things breaking/going wrong that's put my whole life on hold as it's a "HAVE TO DEAL WITH NOW!" item.

For information, I'm replacing an old NorthStar Pump 1 HP Single Speed Pump - SP4007X10NS with...well something. Flow rates, input line height, discharge pipe offset, and a problem that it can't be a 220v one makes it all sorts of interesting. Turns out whoever built my pool actually built it wrong, there should be a 10-13" run between my t-valves and the pump inlet and my current setup has about 1-1/2". That's sort of nice that it gives me room to run for the top discharge out to be shorter, and as long as my input is under my current height I can build a base up to it...but DAMN is it a pain in the ass to cruise Amazon and try and find one that will work that isn't over priced as hell and can be here sometime before the middle of next week. :|

Thank you for listening to my whine, if I fix this I might start looking for a bargain GPU for me for Father's Day coming up since I'll bloody well have earned it! :p

Got overwhelmed, wife reminded me I used to be an electrician and asked me if I didn't buy a motor from Grainger last time something like this happened. Got on the phone with Grainger, the new motor is gonna be in Gary on Monday for curbside pickup for me and it only cost $190 compared to the $300 ones I was looking at online.

www.grainger.com FTW!!!! (It's so freaking useful knowing the local industrial supply houses and industrial electronic repair parts places are!)

Just got my motor and now I am freaking because I have to actually REPLACE it! :oops:

Went out and sprayed down the area with pesticide and got my trimming equipment out. Gotta destroy some shrubbery to get at where I need to be, but if the seal kit comes in the mail today I may actually pull this off!

newmotor.jpg

Ok, realistically I don't think victory ever quite looked this pathetic but it's my start. After just clearing out the filters and making sure everything would be fine overnight I suddenly realized that after days of panic ending in today's merriment I am officially back to square one with opening my pool. :|

greenspittle.jpg

how did you make the water blue? is the pipe poking and spraying water (is that water?) turns the water blue from green?

how did you make the water blue? is the pipe poking and spraying water (is that water?) turns the water blue from green?
That "pipe poking and spraying water" is just an aerator on on of the discharges from my pump/filter, there are 4 output ones and the two input skimmers plus a vacuum line. I like the aerator because it lowers the acidity without chemicals at the cost of slightly cooling the water, plus it's a good visual indicator for me on how the whole system is flowing. If the squirty thing is squirting well everything is good with the circulation.

No, the pipe doesn't change the water color. A week of vacuuming it and backwashing muck out of the filter gets that part done along with a LOT of chlorine, tomorrow I'm getting a phosphorous remover that will clarify the water and finish up the opening process. :)

That "pipe poking and spraying water" is just an aerator on on of the discharges from my pump/filter, there are 4 output ones and the two input skimmers plus a vacuum line. I like the aerator because it lowers the acidity without chemicals at the cost of slightly cooling the water, plus it's a good visual indicator for me on how the whole system is flowing. If the squirty thing is squirting well everything is good with the circulation.

No, the pipe doesn't change the water color. A week of vacuuming it and backwashing muck out of the filter gets that part done along with a LOT of chlorine, tomorrow I'm getting a phosphorous remover that will clarify the water and finish up the opening process. :)

omg thats a lot of work. i though you can just install the thing and turn on the pump and, poof!, green gradually became blue.

Back