Your Top 10 games of 2016

Clukos

Bloodborne 2 when?
Veteran
Supporter
This year was pretty good for gaming and i thought we might as well make a top 10 list from what we've played. Without any order:
  • The Witness
  • DOOM
  • Witcher 3: Blood & Wine
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Uncharted 4
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Dishonored 2
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • Final Fantasy XV
Honorable mentions: Quantum Break, Gravity Rush Remastered and Telltale Batman.

Haven't played TLG and Inside yet (and the majority of games released in 2016 :))

Last edited:
Don't think I can personally come up with 10 games worthy of being on a "top 10" list though I have yet to play Last Guardian or anything beyond the demo for DOOM.

Of the PS4 games I have played it's mostly indies for the win:

Stardew Valley (GOTY for me)
Don't Starve Together
Dragon Quest Builders (jank and stale Japanese programming personified but great game none the less)
Enter The Gungeon
Crypt Of The Necrodancer
Far Cry Primal (spins out after a while but more consistently fun than 3 or 4 IMHO)

Finding that smaller indie games are better at catching the magic these days than the majority of checkbox checking AAA titles.

Well lets see, honestly haven't played all that many in 2016 but a few notable ones that I enjoyed are:
1. Uncharted 4
2. Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare
3. Ratchet and Clank
4. Doom
5. The Last Guardian
6. Final Fantasy XV
7. Gears of War 4
8. Rise of The Tomb Raider PS4
9. Far Cry Primal
10. Quantum Break

With BF1 being the only disappointment.

My list of stuff I spent time with in 2016 in no special order, since I do not have 10 games :D

PS4 games
1. Destiny
2. Unchartered 4
3. Overcooked
4. Headmaster
5. The Divison

Mobile phone games
1. Twenty
2. Conman

None games on the PS4

1. Netflix
2. Mediaplayer
3. HBO Nordic

Mine (In alphabetical):

Battlefield 1
Dark Souls 3
Doom
Witcher: Blood and Wine
Witness

Mine are, in alphabetical order because I really like both.... (not enough games this year to achieve 10 for me)
Doom
Skyrim Special Edition

Most years I hardly play much games and the last two I play just Destiny mostly. Woe is me I cant really participate.

You'd have to play a LOT of games to have a realistic top 10 list. Cause I'm going to say you'd need to have played heavily at least 20 to have a realistic pool to draw from...of course the time I've spent in Destiny was more than enough to play 20 other games...it's probably 10-20 hours per week. And I used to blanch at the incredible length of 40 hour games...

For the last year I can say Destiny good, "Inside" terrible. Dabbled a tad in Gears of War 4...got bored back to Destiny quickly.

These are the games I spent serious time on in 2016 after looking at my achievements:

Nightmares from the Deep (finished)
King's Quest Chapter 1 (finished)
Limbo (not finished)
Ori & the Blind Forest Definitive Edition (finished)
Batman: Arkham Knight (still not finished, bought in 2015 :| )
Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 1 (finished)
Red Dead Redemption (finished years ago, but started 2nd play through after it went backward compatible)
Westerado: Double Barreled (finished)

Also played but not seriously:

Super Dungeon Bros
Tom Clancy's The Division
ReCore (played 30-minute demo)

Ori is my game of the year. Loved every bit. Not sure after that.

Dud of the year probably was The Division. :(

Surprise of the year was Westerado. Who would have thought a 8-bit graphics Flash game would be so fun in 2016?

Tommy McClain

1. Uncharted 4
  2. Titanfall 2
  3. FFXV
  4. VR Worlds: London Heist
  5. Miku Future Live 2nd Stage
  6. Miku Diva X
  7. Until Dawn Rush of Blood
  8. Summer Lesson
  9. Destiny: Rise of Ironic
  10. Witcher 3

EDIT:

yes i ranked FFXV way higher than Witcher 3 despite Witcher 3 much better at mixing sandbox with story. For me FFXV gave me this feeling... this feeling that I rarely got with a game: I just can't stop thinking whats gonna happen next.

Tough to come up with a whole 10. If I did that I'd probably end up with at least a couple I genuinely didn't enjoy.

Anyways:

1. Doom
Almost perfect. Gameplay, graphics, sound, music - it's all a rousing success. Hell, Doom even nails the story bits. Negative points for the last couple of levels constantly walling off your way back for no good reason. This leads to annoying stage reloads when you're hunting down collectibles. Then there's the bosses. They are actually pretty decent for a fps game, but they don't really play to the strengths of the gameplay loop.

2. The Last Guardian
The creature is a complete success. The game's also a perfect example of story telling through participation. It's something that cannot be done in any other medium. A far cry from your usual expensive, mo-capped cutscene bonanza, and it works so much better.

3. Until Dawn Rush of Blood
Probably the most straight up fun I've had with a game this year. Both while playing it myself as well as watching others.

4. FFXV
Surprisingly not your average, mercilessly focus-tested big budget endeavor.

5. Ratchet & Clank
Should serve as a blueprint for how to do remakes. Well, almost that is: there's always gonna be the towering achievement that is Resident Evil Remake. Unfortunately the new R&C is very short. Way shorter than the original game from way back when actually. From a narrative point it's arguably more pants than it's ever been in the past as well. These two guys weren't always the wholesome Disney chums like they're portrayed in the remake. In fact, Ratchet used to be kind of a dick. This resulted in loads of bickering between the leads, and it's been thrown out for the sake of kid-friendly harmony.

6. Dark Souls 3
It's more Dark Souls. Not exactly ground-breaking anymore, but there's still nothing quite like it out there.

7. Rise of the Tomb Raider
This just barely made it into the list. It's a thoroughly enjoyable game, but there isn't a single thing about it that really stuck with me. It's TR 2013 with the peaks and valleys edged off basically.

1. Destiny:
Yeah it's an old game, but it still takes up all of my gaming time. I literally have only played 1 other game since it released back in 2014, so you know my list is gonna be short. :LOL:
If you find a group of people to play with on a regular basis, it's hard to play anything else. Even though we're playing the same old stuff over and over and over again, the coop experience from raids, and the intense PVP matches we play in Trials of Osiris has given me some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

2. The Division:
During the dry times on Destiny, some of the guys that I play Destiny with bought The Division, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It gave us some good gaming moments, but it lacked the lasting appeal that Destiny has. Apparently it's better now, but I sold my copy long ago.

My backlog consists of Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, BF1 and Titanfall 2. I also want to try Doom and RoTR at some point, but I've stopped myself from buying anymore games.

Back