"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Farid, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Lalaland

Regular

I agree on the obvious sharpening being hard on the eyes, the plaster ceiling textures are getting the worst of it, looking almost 'posterised' they're so bad. Worse they're doing a pan and scan cut job, if you're going to be as lazy with this port as you obviously are Capcom at least offer it in 4:3 and be honest about it (or tuck that option in somewhere in the options). I'd far rather big black bars than Pan & Scan <shudder>

2. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I see a slight difference in the angle between the old and the new. Did they take the old assets and re-rendered them at a different angle? If yes they probably rerendered them with clearer details, I dont think they simply used a sharpening

3. Lalaland

Regular

Look at the ceiling textures, they show heavy signs of sharpening halos, some white crushing and are shoddily aligned to boot. It's the same with the brick work over the doorway, the seams between each block are now apparently filled with bright white mortar. I think it just shows on some textures worse than others, the muted browns of the wooden details tend not to show the artifacts as strongly as the near white ceiling tiles and bricks. Particularly as the original ceiling texture seems low res even compared to it's contemporaries.

4. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

The renders are in 6000X5633. the original remake had 640x480 pre-recorded backdrops at 30 fps. the game was on 2 dics weighing almost 3gbs. to have pre-recorded backdrops stored as those renders, the game would weigh 100x that.

from Capcom's Resident Evil Page. -
    I think that they're aiming to re-release the old mansion in-engine in real time. which i think is possible especially if the game is going to be in locked perspectives. I would like to see though better screen grabs, the muddy pictures are just too hard to even tell the differences.

Everything looks just about identical, however i did read that someone spotted a couple flaws. such as missing DOF, Proper light balances and a clipping mistake.

These are the screen grabs for which you can check out.

Original
    [​IMG]

New

[​IMG]

Clipping mistake

[​IMG]

that's all i got to support my theory.

#1524 COPS N RAPPERS, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  5. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

could they use the same technique that was done in little big adventure 2 were the exterior background was rendered in real time but with locked camera, because too detailed at the time to offer a decent fps with a moving camera, but you could recenter the camera angle by pressing a key. I remember keeping pressing the recenter camera key while movine the character to give the illusion of a moving camera following the character, but at a very low fps ^^

http://youtu.be/2w7jBzkQ8ho?t=1m56s

6. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

I'm not entirely sure if whether the angles will be done in the original manner, or change as part of using 3D assets. They mention the camera will be able to track the character's movement. whether it's RE0's 2D panning or Code veronica's 3D i don't know. I'd like to believe it's 3D; which would greatly boost the experience. some footage would be nice.

I have to also see what the specs and HDD space of the PC version are, this would also give some more insight.

#1526 COPS N RAPPERS, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  7. EsppiraK

Newcomer

Ok I am becoming addicted to this xD

Lei Fang, black outfit.
    Dead or alive 5
    32.497 polygons

Dead or alive 2 Ultimate original Xbox (I couldn't find the black dress so this is the standard one.)
    15.900 polygons

Lei Fang, black outfit
    Dead or alive 2 Dreamcast.
    8.884 polygons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess were all those polys went on the Dreamcast version xD

Dead or Alive 2 Dreamcast
    Helena, (outfit 6),
    9.246 polygons

[​IMG]

Jann- lee, (outfit 4),
    8416 polygons

[​IMG]

Tekken tag tournament, Playstation 2

Jim Kazama,
    6.534polygons

[​IMG]

Ling Xiaoyu
    6.755polygons

[​IMG]

Oops seems that there is a limit of 6 images per post, so I am done for today.. I think xD

For the guy asking for Soul calibur polycount, SC characters are very very low poly, averaging 3.000-4.000, weapos included. for example, Astaroth + axe is 3.408 polygons.

I'll post more some other day.

8. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Interesting that polygons were higher on the DC DOA2 than on PS2 TTT. Characters looked more detailed in TTT

9. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Do you really have to quote that entire post? :p

10. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

11. EsppiraK

Newcomer

Nope they don't, especially on close ups is pretty obvious that DOA characters are more detailed it's Tecmo's craziness for absurd detail, even nails are modeled lol

[​IMG]

Maybe other characters have higher polycount on TTT, I'll take a look later.

Professor K Jet set Radio Future Xbox

[​IMG]

10.259 polygons.

This is the las for today I promise xD

12. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

very interesting stuff,

oh yeah, since the first DOA, it's always been about the characters with them. Tekken uses more texturing, the same rendering choices are still ongoing between the two companies.

13. idsn6

Regular

With the stages in TTT being relatively simplistic compared to DOA2's, it was easy to assume that a comparable polygon budget allocated in favor of the characters would have resulted in higher density. The TTT numbers may also be surprising because the developers portrayed them as exorbitant when explaining the reduced count for the models in Tekken 4 (I am curious how low-poly they went in that game).

14. xaeroxcore

Newcomer

Incredible info! Not always the higher poly count results in a better looking game... TTT has some visual elements better than Soul Calibur and DOA2 (specially in the texture departament). Anyway, Soul calibur despite having a lower poly count characters, they appear to be more detailed (but they´re not)and better animated (in this point SC is in fact ahead) than the TTT ones. SC is superior on the illumination department. DOA 2 is more complex overall than TTT, and the characters look bigger than the TTT ones. But the lighting seems to be more flat than in TTT. I´m not an expert, but this is what i can conclude afters years of watching and comparing this 3 games, and today learn about the poly count of each one. Feel free to correct me if i´m wrong. Finally, what do you guys think? this poly counts of character revelation of TTT and DOA 2 could prove that TTT or T4 could be possible on Dreamcast ???

15. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Geometry wise? Probably. But TTT looked better than Soul Calibur (and to me at least better than DOA2). There are so many things that make graphics and eat performance
    T4 though had bigger and free roaming environments which required more geometry. Lighting and effects were quite amazing too for the PS2

16. EsppiraK

Newcomer

More Jet set Radio Future love. :)

Corn
    1.554 polygons

[​IMG]

Yoyo
    1.676 polygons

[​IMG]

Beat
    1.612 polygons

[​IMG]

17. xaeroxcore

Newcomer

But i think DOA 2 enviroments has similar level of detail than the TTT ones...I can see T4 level of detail can be reached on DC, but with flat lighting and some effects turned off...

18. xaeroxcore

Newcomer

Images does not load! :(

19. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Then it wouldnt be as detailed ;)

20. EsppiraK

Newcomer

Oops that Photobucket bandwidth limit :sad:

Any suggestion for a good free image hosting with no bandwidth limit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for TTT or T4 ( even 5 I would say) the big problem is not the characters polycount, is the lighting, surfaces reflections/speculars, and some intensive alpha effects in some stages, other than that Tekken series on ps2 don't really push that many polygons, Soul calibur III and Virtua Fighter 4 on ps2 ( even downgraded from the original naomi 2 board) push way more polygons for each character than the Tekken series does.

Also background while appear "smaller" on Tekken, sometimes have more things going on them that require extra resources.

Just note that Doa 2 on ps2 has some nice (better) lighting, alpha effects and reflections absent on the Dreamcast version, even though the dreamcast version does looks better imho, essentially becuse cleaner image quality (higher res) and way better textures. So a TTT on Dreamcast would have look different than the ps2 version (sometthing similar to Doa 2 ps2-Dc), worst in some areas, better in others, one thing is sure, a DC version wouldn't be able to replicate some incredible lighting effects on TTT-T4-T5