"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

I wonder how many poligons a mass effect character is using they look pretty damn good to me maybe better than crysis.

Hell not ,that's an heresy !. Crysis characters (story characters ) are leagues beyond those of mass effect (shader wise too ,of course) .

edit : (Maybe you were talking about the alien ones ? )

i meant human ones please dont kill me :) just what i see from the screens ME look amazing and so does crysis im just wondering cant really say till game is out

Just checked some models in the editor.

Regular bald soldier tris:22804
Soldier with more hair tris:31616
Regular nanosuit for multiplayer tris:28568
nanosuit for single-player characters tris:55000-70000
Soldier with helmet and camo + weapon on his back tris:24508

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there we go. Polygon counts are in the same ball-park as Uncharted - slightly higher even. What would be quite nice is a library of character shots from different games with their poly counts as a reference point for investigating other titles.

Just checked some models in the editor.

Regular bald soldier tris:22000
Soldier with more hair tris:40000
Regular nanosuit guy tris:52000
Soldier with less hair and band on forehead "Rambo" tris:32000
Soldier with helmet and camo + weapon on his back tris:31000

All that numbers are most probably wrong .
You let slip some render passes or something else.

I'll do my check on that list ,but the complete nanosuit is about 10 000 polygons,that's a fact (i got it by removing everything else ,assigning the basic simple shader and on the lowest rendering quality).
i don't think they put 42000 polys in the head.

You think it may be multiple passes? I just redid some in the editor in wireframe mode (the others may be off with +/-1-2k tris and the nanosuit was for the cut-scene in the demo end,my bad). V.high settings, empty level.

Soldier with a hat tris:22472
Soldier with a helm "thin type" tris:22436
Commander (leader for enemies) with red basker tris:23144
Soldier with heavy protection and helmet tris:24508
Bald soldier tris:22804
Nanosuit for multiplayer tris:28568

Cut-scene nanosuit for Jester tris:68836
Cut-scene nanosuit with parachute + weapon tris:60640
Cut-scene nanosuit for Harry tris:58198

I'll do some more in wireframe mode

Actually the hair on Uncharted's main char looks alot better than that (imo)! I'll try to grab a screeny of it.
I guess what makes the high poly count on Uncharted is also the fine modeled (and moving) cloths, that move/stretch realistically when the character moves (as cloth should ).

The clothes in Uncharted are mapping, you can even see on some of the videos how it changes mapping layer to acomodate change of position and torso turning. The change is a quick switch which looks off (I'll dig up the video). And if you take a ss please use ingame material.

Look at the follwoing places,

00:56, mapping, 2D plane for arm
01:34, switching of mapping + fading
01:55, switching of mapping + fading

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27666.html <-- In HD
[gt]27667[/gt]

You think it may be multiple passes? I just redid some in the editor in wireframe mode (the others may be off with +/-1-2k tris and the nanosuit was for the cut-scene in the demo end,my bad). V.high settings, empty level.

Soldier with a hat tris:22472
Soldier with a helm "thin type" tris:22436
Commander (leader for enemies) with red basker tris:23144
Soldier with heavy protection and helmet tris:24508
Bald soldier tris:22804
Nanosuit for multiplayer tris:28568

Cut-scene nanosuit for Jester tris:68836
Cut-scene nanosuit with parachute + weapon tris:60640
Cut-scene nanosuit for Harry tris:58198

I'll do some more in wireframe mode

Amazing!:oops:
Now I can understand that Drake has 30.000 polygons:smile: because 8000 polygons for a soldier in Crysis in comparasion with Drake that has around 30.000polygons just sounded wrong:LOL:.

the main characters are around 20-30k per character depending on the complexity. I think Drake is around 30.. i dont have the numbers in front of me.

the enemies/pirates are around 12-15k.

we are trying to hide as much as we can with normal maps so the polys really dont show. Hopefully that'll come through in game!

-Rich

:oops: They are not even sure.

[modhat]Whether the hair looks better or not is irrelevant. This is not a comparison thread to discuss the artistry of different games, or which game looks 'better'. Talk will remain on the topic of how many polygons are being used in different characters and game objects, along with frame-rates as appropriate[/modhat]

00:56, mapping, 2D plane for arm
01:34, switching of mapping + fading
01:55, switching of mapping + fading
This is very clear. The creases on Nathan's back are normal maps, 2 different maps which are faded between. There's no geometry detail here.

You think it may be multiple passes?

Hint :Until you find an average of 9500 /10 000 polys on the nanosuit alone you're talking about either multi pass shading or anything else that add polygon complexity.

If you want the closer to truth polycount possible : remove any rendering complexity :lowest rendering setting ,disable all renderi flags,put the basic simple shader (it's just a diffuse).

Hint :Until you find an average of 9500 /10 000 polys on the nanosuit alone you're talking about either multi pass shading or anything else that add polygon complexity.

If you want the closer to truth polycount possible : remove any rendering complexity :lowest rendering setting ,disable all renderi flags,put the basic simple shader (it's just a diffuse).

Please corect me if I´m wrong but if a Nanosuit soldier has 10.000 polygons when rendered once (one pass) and Nebula says he gets about 60.000 polygons for the nanosuit soldier, then that would mean that the soldier is rendered six times ( six passes).
That would mean that a soldier that has 22.000 polygons multi pass has about 3600 polygons single pass(22000/6~3600polygons) which would pretty much mean that Drake is made out of 30.000 polygons multi pass and not single pass.
Then it would be interesting to know how many polygons Drake has in single pass.

But I´m very sure that Nebula wrote that he was checking the polygon count per soldier in wireframe mode, isn´t that in single pass?

I stripped some stuff down to only get the model and checked the what is rendered to Phil. Also dont forget that when you lower your settings you lower the LOD for the character mesh and/or amount of detail on it. It would be interesting to see how other counts their polygon counts. Where do you draw the line, pure polygon count for body or for body + effects for that body.

For example a nanosuit model 'Sykes', 25395 polygons.
15139 + 5176 polygons for body, 18 items
3482 polygons for humanskin, 2 items
680 polygons for eyes, 2 items for example and some more to.

nanosuit "Nomad" (player body) without head 17017 polygons.
6740 + 3298 + 3412 +3513 polygons for body, 8 items (no head included).

nanosuit "naked" for multiplayer in high settings, 16017 polygons.
9218 + 6352 polygons for body, 10 items. <--------Compare to low settings number

Nanosuit "naked" for multiplayer in low settings, 10186 polygons.
6352 + 3379 polygons for body, 5 items. <-------Compare number of items to high setting

I excluded some additional polygons for small stuff. Check out the difference in number of objects and how it affects overall amount of polygons!

This is very clear. The creases on Nathan's back are normal maps, 2 different maps which are faded between. There's no geometry detail here.

I'm not so sure if this is so clear after all. When you look at the actual game and try to zoom in on the character then move very slowly, you can actually see those creases move very precisely depending on what he does (with some variety like like stretching, crunching...).
If it's "fake", it's the best cloth fake I've seen so far :)

I'm not so sure if this is so clear after all. When you look at the actual game and try to zoom in on the character then move very slowly, you can actually see those creases move very precisely depending on what he does (with some variety like like stretching, crunching...).

I also think it`s a fake of blending between normal/bump maps. They could have run a cloth simulation on the shirt for various key animations, mesh it then export to a normal map.
It looks better than other games cause most games don`t even have it.

It's fake (i.e. not geometry) but animated. More importantly it works very well because it starts to disappear and fade out close to silhouette edges based on camera angle so one never gets weird normal mapping view.

Clever, but simple trick, really. Heavenly Sword uses a pretty similar trick with cutscene characters, when they're wrnikling their brows...

Thats incredible looking though. It looks exactly like actual fabric folding. And folds at the right places and moment too.

Back