"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Hair can take up thousands of polygons easily... and Crysis soldiers seem to have no hair geometry at all. Then there are many little accessories that can be surprisingly complex too, like an ammo belt or necklace, especially if it has to deform.

No wonder why it ran with 10-15fps during combat with Colossu Creature.

you didn't play ,aint'you ? :)
Except for the last boss ,the coloss fights don't have framerate troubles ,it's actually the free roaming in the landscape that have the more frame rate troubles.

also , the colossi are probably rendered about 3-4 times (passes).

In the crysis editor :
With the skydome and the nanosuit i get 10107 polygons.counting the backface culling i'd say 14-15k

also , the colossi are probably rendered about 3-4 times (passes).

The colossus has about 5-6 layers of fur polygons. They also need some special blending to work properly AFAIK. That's a lot of polys and even more pixels to fill.

When the full game comes out we will get an exact number of how many polygons a soldier have. The full game will come with a program so that one can extract every object (including soldiers) to 3Dmax.:smile:

Yep... wait didn't they include the 3DMax plugin with the demo (have not checked)?

*Snip*
Polygons are something harder to fake. Normal maps do a great job, but silhouettes are still all dependent on polygon density of the meshes which is the topic at hand.

That'd be a very good idea but I don't know of any systems trying for that. I'd have thought procedural tessellation along silhouette polygons would be necessary, which would probably need a HOS version of the model. A breakthrough in this would put an end to poly counts though, as high vertex counts aren't required for decent lighting any more. Devs could focus on a minimal mesh density with normal maps and true silhouette rendering. Although a sparse mesh may have quite a few UV artefacts?

Also impressive hair doesn't have to use lots of polygons, since they are like several 2D textures together and not straws of hair.

Individual hair strands amount to tens of thousands of objects, each consisting thousands of polygons.

We've done some short hair for a few characters, and it took that many polygons to make it look good. Although looking at recent screenshots of the game, most of it has been optimizied out, sadly.

Individual hair strands amount to tens of thousands of objects, each consisting thousands of polygons.

We've done some short hair for a few characters, and it took that many polygons to make it look good. Although looking at recent screenshots of the game, most of it has been optimizied out, sadly.

Interesting, but how about fur shading for hair, could that be a better solution for acceptable short length hair?

The kind of fur shading used in Shadow of the Colossus and Lost Planet? Well, it might work for one certain hairstyle... but I'd rather not use it... tends to get too fuzzy and hair is not like that. Also, it's about the same amount of polygons, really.

Thanks! Do you know why hasn't this technology got anywhere? Seems to me that there's three reasons for high-poly models - 1) Smoother lighting from vertex lighting. 2) High model detail. 3) Smooth silhouettes. 1 is solved with per pixel lighting. 2 is solved with normal maps. 3 doesn't seem approached through any clever techniques unlike the other two. I've only had a brief nose at the paper so may have missed the obvious.

To be a bit more precise, you usually don't want to have smooth, or rather, simple shilouettes. It's more of an artistic issue though and of course I'm not talking about Doom3 character heads here ;)

Hah, so there was hair for the soldiers in Crysis, and it looks good to! I can only but bow down for Crytek with full respect. :cool: :)

I agree

Here´s some more :

Crysis2007-11-0919-20-07-29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you may have answered your own question, Obakan:

Great, then I would want to show you some screenshots of Drake (30.000 polygons according to the blog/thread) and compare them to my screenshots of a soldier in Crysis.
Focusing on the geometry of the body and the face, I can´t see how the Drake character has almost 3 times more polygons than a soldier in Crysis:
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/812/812550/img_4969225.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/812/812550/img_4969220.html
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/812/812550/img_4969227.html

Time for me to get some sleep, I hope you see my point.:smile2:

Without the hair (and may be something else), the soldier's poly count according to someone (you ?) was 8,000. So with hair, perhaps the poly count is similar to Nathan's 30,000.

Poly based hair's looks depend very heavily on the viewing angle. I highly doubt that the korean soldier has more polygons in his hair than Drake.

Crysis's hair-cuts aren't really what this thread is about. The question was raised about Crysis models at their poly-counts versus Uncharted at a higher poly-count. Discussion should focus on that, please.

It is becouse we are talking about hair to and how it affects the overall polygon count. And here is a ss of the hair from different angles, all i can say is I am satisified, seems to be quite some hair and I wonder how many polygons that would be and how it will add to the body and face geometry!

And yes the hair is visible from a long distance in the at v.high settings!
CrysisHair.jpg

It is becouse we are talking about hair to and how it affects the overall polygon count.
Yes, I understand that, but no-one's actually given any numbers making the whole Crysis thing pretty pointless so far. You were comparing Crysis polycounts to Uncharted's. If it's accepted Crysis looks better with less polygons, that needs investigating. If it's found that Crysis actually uses the same polycounts as Uncharted to do the hair, case solved, but we need figures to show this - "this hairy soldier is made up of 25,000 polygons". Without any of that, all we have if an (excessive) slideshow of Crysis images.

As this is the technology forum, I'd expect more technical talk. We aim to be exclusively high-brow here! I appreciate your interests were totally valid and on topic, but unfortunately this thread has been very watered down from its origins. If someone can get me actual polygon counts for that hairy soldier, I can trim it right back to just the comparison of different models from different games.

Back