Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

it would be more interesting to do a comparison between the XBX and the XsS.

It's a pretty big gulf between the two, but the Series S has put on a good showing. But as a system designed to target 1440p, seems like a bit more TFLOPS would've been pertinent. Hence, I wonder how much extra capacity the thermal management and power hardware have in order to handle an uptick in GPU clock rate. A boost to 5 or 6 TF would give the system a bit more room to grow, esp if the first Series S revision (or replacement?) is clocked faster like the Xbox One S was.

Do 1440p games on Series S have the option for true 1080p rendering or is it effectively supersampling whether you like it or not?

Do 1440p games on Series S have the option for true 1080p rendering or is it effectively supersampling whether you like it or not?

That would be down to the game, performance mode or quality.

I do not believe the game is aware of the output resolution.

That would be down to the game, performance mode or quality.

I do not believe the game is aware of the output resolution.
I don't think any Xbox since 360 let the game know the output resolution. There are a bunch of 360 games that do weird things at odd resolutions if you have the VGA cable, though. I used to have mine hooked up a a CRT computer monitor, outputting a high resolution (1600*1200 maybe? Can't remember, but higher than 720p.) And there were games that looked great at 720p but looked washed out and less than 480p at the higher resolution.

Last edited:
With FSR 2.0 being added to the Xbox Series development tools this make the Xbox Series S an even more attractive option. Games that render at 1440p on the S could then use FSR 2.0 to scale the image to 4K. It wont be quite as good as native, but should offer a nice improvement over the current native output. This will be the most meaningful for games that do not use FSR 2.0 on the Series X to get to 4K, but instead accomplish that natively on that model, and then the S can use FSR 2.0 to close the gap. With the attractive price point and better availability, the S model could see a boost in popularity thanks to FSR 2.0.

With FSR 2.0 being added to the Xbox Series development tools this make the Xbox Series S an even more attractive option. Games that render at 1440p on the S could then use FSR 2.0 to scale the image to 4K. It wont be quite as good as native, but should offer a nice improvement over the current native output. This will be the most meaningful for games that do not use FSR 2.0 on the Series X to get to 4K, but instead accomplish that natively on that model, and then the S can use FSR 2.0 to close the gap. With the attractive price point and better availability, the S model could see a boost in popularity thanks to FSR 2.0.
I think only enthusiasts would feel that way. Series S is very much a mainstream non enthusiast console. People just want to play the latest titles, and this console will do it for them. Any boost in popularity will come from the games library, game pass, and how cheap Series S can drop to.

wrt the upscaling, the FSR2.0 at most will take a native res of 540->1080 or 720->1440p on Series S. There isn't enough power to go from 1080p->4K for the quality bars of the new generation of titles coming.

wrt the upscaling, the FSR2.0 at most will take a native res of 540->1080 or 720->1440p on Series S. There isn't enough power to go from 1080p->4K for the quality bars of the new generation of titles coming.

You dont see very many games being able to target 1440p native and using FSR to get to 4K?

You dont see very many games being able to target 1440p native and using FSR to get to 4K?
with series X and PS5, I often see a 1440p native target and getting to 4K.
but with series S, I would say it's a lower base resolution and getting to 1440p is the ideal target for it.

I think people will want ultimately, more graphical fidelity and somehow hold onto that 60fps. If we drop to 30fps that opens up a lot more possibilities.

Remember that some games are already using some form of temporal upscaling to reach higher resolutions (like 1440p) on XBS-S, so FSR 2.0 isn't really going to help much there.

It's more likely that FSR 2.0 would just allow more games to hit a temporally reconstructed 1440p target on XBS-S.

Regards,
SB

uh... how to transfer xbox 360 saves to XSS automatically or at least in batch?

currently I'm copying 1 by 1 to cloud storage and its very cumbersome. As each upload took ~20 seconds despite they are under 1MB

I think in regard to FSR2.0 on XSS it comes down to 2 questions:

1. What is the lowest input resolution you can use with FSR2.0 and still get an acceptable output image?

2. Does XSS have enough power to give FSR2.0 that lowest input resolution when running true next gen games?

FSR2.0 isn't magic and will still require a good input resolution to deliver a good final image.

Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition can drop to 540p on XSS, would FSR2.0 do an acceptable job with so few pixels to work with?

uh... how to transfer xbox 360 saves to XSS automatically or at least in batch?

currently I'm copying 1 by 1 to cloud storage and its very cumbersome. As each upload took ~20 seconds despite they are under 1MB

I think you need to do it 1 by 1. But once they're on the cloud then you're good to go and shouldn't ever have to deal with it again going forward. This should only be an issue for X360 games which didn't automatically also save to the cloud or those you didn't use the cloud as default save location way back when.

You might have an option under Device Management / Storage Management to bulk copy from one device to another, so if they have it split out into different categories like Game Saves versus Games versus Music you might be alright. It's been nearly a decade since I've dealt directly with this, so sorry for not having definitive answer.

I think in regard to FSR2.0 on XSS it comes down to 2 questions:

1. What is the lowest input resolution you can use with FSR2.0 and still get an acceptable output image?

2. Does XSS have enough power to give FSR2.0 that lowest input resolution when running true next gen games?

FSR2.0 isn't magic and will still require a good input resolution to deliver a good final image.

Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition can drop to 540p on XSS, would FSR2.0 do an acceptable job with so few pixels to work with?
1. If it only needs to get to 1080p any amount between 540-800p is likely sufficient.
2. If Matrix Demo is any indication of what ture next gen games are, the answer should be yes as it uses TAAU.
2. DF analysis of XSS with Matrix Demo shows it's probably good enough for most people with XSS, at least from the perspective of someone buying a budget console.

If you're rocking a 4K screen with HDR and OLED, series S likely in the wrong price bracket for that type of owner to begin with.

@orangpelupa did you enable Cloud Saves on your X360 so it automatically backs them up to the cloud?

Settings, System, Storage, Cloud Saved Games, Enable Cloud Saved Games.

Once that is enabled then the Xbox 360 should automatically sync the game save to the cloud after you exit the game when you have "Cloud Saved games" selected as the Saved device.

Here's a guide from way back when, https://www.cloudwards.net/how-to-use-xbox-cloud-storage/

I had enabled cloud Saved Games once it was available so I never had to do the massive manual copy steps later on. Only had to do it for the games where the save wasn't already in the cloud when I was actively playing them in 2011.

@BRiT
i had enabled cloud storage in my old Falcon x360 but when i moved to jasper after the falcon got hit with RRoD for its 5th time or so... turns out cloud didn't get enabled in jasper. I only found out when i turned on my jasper x360 today, and enabled cloud save, and it contains veeeeeeeeeeeeeery old saves (internal HDD, internal memory, and memory card have newer saves).

anyway, I've finished uploading them manually 1 by 1. Turns out very few (IIRC just 2-3) games are not allowed to be copied/moved to cloud. They can be copied/moved just fine to HDD/Internal storage/Memory Card.

Back