Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Sep 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. turkey

Regular Newcomer

That would be an all digital X when they can do a die shrink? And then an X RT or something for the suped up version.

I am not sure how they can have a better S when that's basically the current X.

I would assume they just price reduce the X when they can and make the Series S the $100 black Friday blow out machine the current all digital S has been.

It's clear price is massively important to their strategy, as is Xcloud where 1080p is perfect and will be for a good while.

The One S only had a modest bump to allow for overhead in processing HDR, it was not an upgrade as such to regular performance although they did not hold it back.

2. Silenti

Regular

As per some previous discussions - there may not be a "die shrink". MS said they learned it wasn't worth it, just go with a new architecture.

turkey, Lalaland, AzBat and 1 other person like this.
  3. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

That was in reference to a new version of the Xbox One SOC. Jaguar CPU cores and GCN graphics, 2 architectures that AMD has moved on from with more efficient designs. It may make sense in 4 years to simple do a die shrink if performance gains can't greatly increase with newer designed parts.

4. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

There will be architectural improvements on the CPU and GPU that they'd like to pick up if it costs the same as doing a die shrink. Probably large improvements on AMDs RayTracing implementations for one thing for sure.

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Yea if we considering 2024 as MS's target they will be on what navi 4 or 5 by that point. Looking at nvidia they managed to greatly increase RT performance in a generation so AMD should be able to do similar each generation, a navi 4 could be a lot faster at RT and even introduce new features . Also I am sure Zen will be much further a long than previous and ram speed will go up more

AzBat likes this.
  6. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

That's true, but the previous comments about Microsoft not just doing a die shrink were in reference to Series S not using the old Jaguar/GCN APU but die shrunk. It may be that in 4 years we will see a proportional increase in performance that we see just moving from Jaguar to Zen, but I doubt that. Twice the IPC and double the clock is pretty massive. If we see something like 10%-20% increase in IPC it may not be worth moving to a new CPU architecture and worrying about outlier compatibility issues if you can do a die shrink for cost reduction or clock increases.

milk, turkey, Lalaland and 1 other person like this.
  7. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-s-game-sizes-will-be-smaller-than-on-series-x

There we go. :p

Approximation, since it'll depend on the game / developer.

IIRC, Falconeer is practically texture-less? Probably little difference there. ;)

#307 TheAlSpark, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    milk, Silent_Buddha, tinokun and 5 others like this.
  8. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

There were a couple of other good bits from that interview. They've not artificially capped the native output at 4k. It's up to developers to choose. That should be interesting for BC and smaller titles.

Beardo also mentions this:

Silent_Buddha and AzBat like this.
  9. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

10. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/17/21444044/xbox-series-x-s-preorder-time-date-microsoft-retailers

If you want to pre-order on Microsoft's site use this for the Xbox Series S...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-series-s/942j774tp9jn

Tommy McClain

Silenti and BRiT like this.
  11. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Dirt 5 video of it running on Series S at 1440p. I think this is the longest video we have of anything running on Series S. Currentgen/cross gen but it's all very clean and looks fine on a 4k/50inch tele @ 3m.

12. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Quick Resume Trailer.

13. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Outer Worlds loading time comparison. It might be the same as the reveal, but shows the ~5x speed difference.

11 vs 53.5 seconds

(the decimal in the video is out of 30 frames)

----

They need to show Sea of Thieves too. ;)

14. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Isn't it insane that I'm disappointed in 11 seconds load times? Realistically I expected current gen games (which are obviously not optimised for the storage system and contain duplicate assets) could be slower than nextgen games but I just kind of hoped... :sad:

Lalaland likes this.
  15. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Thats without any specific game patches or engine improvements, so its likely what we'll see on the majority of titles. :sad: The good news at least on Xbox is the Quick Resume is really nice and even faster, so once the game is loaded, keep it in your rotation. :lol:

16. DSoup

DSoup meh

I think a complete repackaging of game assets is a big ask. I don't think this will be a trivial amount of work even with good tools. Maybe some of the more recent first party games from Microsoft and Sony will get this treatment but I doubt devs want to be managing what is ultimately completely unique builds.

JPT, Lalaland and milk like this.
  17. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yeah, but what may impact these games even more than a repackaging is just having the developers update their engine to at least UE 4.25.

18. iceberg187

Regular

There are so many games that I've been waiting on both of these new consoles to play. Outer Worlds is one. I put Last of Us 2 in to play in my launch PS4, fan was going crazy so I just put it back in the case and said I'll see you again in November. So, things like this interest me greatly.

Johnny Awesome likes this.
  19. DSoup

DSoup meh

"just". Hmm..

20. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yeah. I know it's a job and a half to bring in engine updates, even without any customizations. It's a big ask. I was trying to say they possibly wouldn't need to do the asset and resource repackaging to see a big lift.

That's likely a solid first step they need to do anyways to take advantage of the other Xbox Series features anyways, update the engine to the latest and greatest.

DSoup likes this.