Xbox Series... M?

I mean looking at it from the outside in , what would they even get for $150-$200 in terms of gpu power ?
well, being a eGPU for a somewhat consolerized device, it could be subsidized to some extent.

Not sure why you'd need a split cpu/gpu. You could just leave the gpu thats part of the apu to handle the os rendering and any other apps like discord or streaming software.
that's right.

In my opinion, the following option is:

1. SKU: Mobile Xbox with Intel nextgen APU with 16 GB DDR5 or 6. ~6TFlops with integrated NPU. Delivered with a dock into which the mobile Xbox can be connected to a TV. Docked 2x performance for higher resolution. The dock is equipped with an 800-watt power supply as standard.

All this at a price of $350.

2. SKU: The stuff above, and a relatively strong VGA 16 GB GDDR7 placed in the dock (can be Intel, AMD, Nvidia)

Pricing $650. (in this case, MS would provide the VGA for the machine at a modest price)

Customers can decide what they prefer, a pre-made version equipped with extra VGA, or a basic, cheap mobile version with a dock, for which they can freely choose any VGA they want.

And here comes The twist! The games are PC games, slightly optimized for the console APU, and can be launched from a fully consoled Xbox software interface. With this move, MS is independent from the GPU manufacturers and it is possible for customers to play in the quality they want, starting from the entry level, on mobile, or in the best quality.
Lewd, but I approve.

MS has signed a 15 billion deal with Intel, due to their artificial intelligence developments. In the same month, they announced that they were making the next Xbox hardware, which would be the biggest leap in performance yet. I think there might be some connection between the two things here.

Errr, we already know MS has signed a next gen console deal with AMD though, it was leaked almost immediately.

The Intel deal is to fab some custom MS designed datacenter part, either the CPU or GPU MS has been working on and has been leaked for years now, not sure which one but I suspect it's the CPU as the GPU is co-designed by AMD, so designing that for TSMC seems more likely.

In my opinion, the following option is:

1. SKU: Mobile Xbox with Intel nextgen APU with 16 GB DDR5 or 6. ~6TFlops with integrated NPU. Delivered with a dock into which the mobile Xbox can be connected to a TV. Docked 2x performance for higher resolution. The dock is equipped with an 800-watt power supply as standard.

All this at a price of $350.

2. SKU: The stuff above, and a relatively strong VGA 16 GB GDDR7 placed in the dock (can be Intel, AMD, Nvidia)

Pricing $650. (in this case, MS would provide the VGA for the machine at a modest price)

Customers can decide what they prefer, a pre-made version equipped with extra VGA, or a basic, cheap mobile version with a dock, for which they can freely choose any VGA they want.

And here comes The twist! The games are PC games, slightly optimized for the console APU, and can be launched from a fully consoled Xbox software interface. With this move, MS is independent from the GPU manufacturers and it is possible for customers to play in the quality they want, starting from the entry level, on mobile, or in the best quality.
SD cards might be the best option for a handheld device in the near future.

@Frenetic Pony where did you hear or read that?

SD cards might be the best option for a handheld device in the near future.

@Frenetic Pony where did you hear or read that?

They already have an option for storage

1713264131502.png

It goes from $80 for 512gigs to $150 for 1TB to $280 for 2TB . Still a bit pricy butt for a hot swap full speed drive its not that out of wack. Put 1TB in the device already and your all good to go

They already have an option for storage
IMHO completely overpriced. They could easily fix this by removing their stupid drive type check in the OS.

It will get ridiculous when it makes more sense to buy a XSX refresh to get 2TB builtin than paying these fantasy prices.

Errr, we already know MS has signed a next gen console deal with AMD though, it was leaked almost immediately.

The Intel deal is to fab some custom MS designed datacenter part, either the CPU or GPU MS has been working on and has been leaked for years now, not sure which one but I suspect it's the CPU as the GPU is co-designed by AMD, so designing that for TSMC seems more likely.
Maybe Intel has a better option.

IMHO completely overpriced. They could easily fix this by removing their stupid drive type check in the OS.

It will get ridiculous when it makes more sense to buy a XSX refresh to get 2TB builtin than paying these fantasy prices.
The prices keep dropping so I'd expect the 2tb to start getting to the $200 price point soon.

Also they are really the only plug and play nvme option

dunno why exactly Phil Spencer takes Lenovo Go as inspiration and not other Windows handheld devices like the GPD Win, but Lenovo is working on the Lenovo Legion Go 2 and they are taking feedback seriously. (video should start where they talk about the next Lenovo Legion Go)

The prices keep dropping so I'd expect the 2tb to start getting to the $200 price point soon.

Also they are really the only plug and play nvme option
I see no real drop. They had a chance when the Seagate exclusivity ran out 2 years ago or so and I actually thought they just kept this protected for the initial production deal. But that was obviously wrong.

I see no real drop. They had a chance when the Seagate exclusivity ran out 2 years ago or so and I actually thought they just kept this protected for the initial production deal. But that was obviously wrong.
What ?

The 1TB was the first card and was $220 at launch, THen the 512 was $140 and 2tb were $400 in 2021

The 1TB seagate is $140 on amazon right now. It is now the launch price of the 512gig version
1 TB seagate storage expansion card

The 2 TB in the same linke is down to $250 so its a $150 price drop.

The 512 gig is MIA so I am assuming that it is getting phased out now that the 1TB has dropped as low as it has. However I did buy one for my nephew in Feb for his birthday and it was $80 at best buy.

So yea while they haven't dropped as quickly as regular nvme drives they are much more convenient to use. Even more so on a hand held. I'd love to have the option of using one of these on my steam deck even with 2tb of internal storage.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they introduce a 4TB version later this year or early next year

So yea while they haven't dropped as quickly as regular nvme drives they are much more convenient to use.
Really? People are pulling out and plugging in extra storage all the time in XBSX and PS5 such that not having to spend five minutes removing a cover and screwing down an SSD is a noteworthy gain, worth the large markup?
Even more so on a hand held.
Why? Unless people are constantly swapping extra storage in and out, an 'install once and forget' isn't any great imposition.

2TB WD Black is £110 on Amazon right now. XBSX expansion is £250. Twice the price for not having to remove a cover and screw it down? Can't see how that's worth it to anyone.

I guess a better comparison for a handheld is the small form factor. 2TB WB Black iSN770M is £200, so XBSX is still 25% more expensive for the luxury of hot-swapping.

What ?

The 1TB was the first card and was $220 at launch, THen the 512 was $140 and 2tb were $400 in 2021

The 1TB seagate is $140 on amazon right now. It is now the launch price of the 512gig version
1 TB seagate storage expansion card

The 2 TB in the same linke is down to $250 so its a $150 price drop.

The 512 gig is MIA so I am assuming that it is getting phased out now that the 1TB has dropped as low as it has. However I did buy one for my nephew in Feb for his birthday and it was $80 at best buy.

So yea while they haven't dropped as quickly as regular nvme drives they are much more convenient to use. Even more so on a hand held. I'd love to have the option of using one of these on my steam deck even with 2tb of internal storage.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they introduce a 4TB version later this year or early next year
Remind me when these prices are in the normal M.2 range and not 2x overpriced or they remove the drive check and allow the adapter to work.

Always seems like a real shame with Xbox cards. The whole point of the chip it used is that it's dirt cheap. In the end, volume wins!

I doubt it's priced based on cost, especially given that the price drops are coming in a rising NAND cost environment.

Price parity will get there if NAND keeps going up.

Really? People are pulling out and plugging in extra storage all the time in XBSX and PS5 such that not having to spend five minutes removing a cover and screwing down an SSD is a noteworthy gain, worth the large markup?

Why? Unless people are constantly swapping extra storage in and out, an 'install once and forget' isn't any great imposition.

2TB WD Black is £110 on Amazon right now. XBSX expansion is £250. Twice the price for not having to remove a cover and screw it down? Can't see how that's worth it to anyone.

I guess a better comparison for a handheld is the small form factor. 2TB WB Black iSN770M is £200, so XBSX is still 25% more expensive for the luxury of hot-swapping.

Yes some people do. my nephew has a xbox series s in his room and an x in the living room. He will grab the nvme and plug it in downstairs . he also will bring it over to a friends house.

Storage on the ps5 isn't hot swapable and for many people they don't want to have unplug , take off side panels , screw in a drive and then repeat the process if they want to play a game they have stored on another drive. You can also have multiple storage cards to swap in and out with whatever games you want.

Like I said, I'd love to be able to hot swap the nvme on my steam deck.
Remind me when these prices are in the normal M.2 range and not 2x overpriced or they remove the drive check and allow the adapter to work

If you don't want to spend extra for the convivence that is fine. Plenty of people will and even more so in a mobile form factor. I rather pay a price premium and be able to swap out drives in a second on my steam deck than have to go through the process of removing the whole back of the steam deck and other components inside the deck to put a drive in and then repeat if I want access to a second drive . Even 1TB micro sd cards are between $75-150 from reputable brands and are a fraction of the performance.

Yes some people do. my nephew has a xbox series s in his room and an x in the living room. He will grab the nvme and plug it in downstairs . he also will bring it over to a friends house.
Isn't that a tiny niche though? Whereas the cost increase affects all users, including the vast majority who own only one console.

The ideal solution is both, an internal expansion port and an external. If picking one though, the internal is the solution that favours most users.

that's a very useful feature, no doubt. Your nephew remember myself a few years ago but I usually brought my original Xbox to a friend's house.

What surprises me is that moving storage devices around is still a thing. I mean, don't his saved files upload to the cloud?

Back