Xbox Series... M?

that's the most amazing idea I've seen in a long while. Hope that would become a reality. What @Charlietus mentioned might be a limitation, specially for faster framerates, but that would be the engineers job trying to find a solution.
Most likely, MS's contract with Intel will also affect their next console. So they can create the right CPU for the new Xbox.

The only trouble with the dGPU dock is the fact that it means there's effectively an unused GPU sat doing nothing in a box that's only useable when the portable's plugged in.

Wouldn't it be better to allow 2 independent devices to essentially SLI? Whether that's 2 portables, 2 docks, or 1 of each.

How feasible is it to use the GPU of an external APU over PCIE 5?

this article and video have been shared by @Karamazov in a different thread a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the external card /gpu dock idea these days. It's almost an entire console on it's own. Big chip, lots of fast RAM, power supply. Might as well go the extra step of using some die area for a CPU and add some storage. For a relatively small cost delta you now own two consoles!

I'm not a fan of the external card /gpu dock idea these days. It's almost an entire console on it's own. Big chip, lots of fast RAM, power supply. Might as well go the extra step of using some die area for a CPU and add some storage. For a relatively small cost delta you now own two consoles!

Only way it makes sense to me is a mid gen upgrade. If you look the rumors for the ps5 pro is just a faster clocked zen 2. So why not just ship a rdna4 in an enclosure and just miss out on the higher clocks on the cpu. You could end up putting in a much better bang for your buck gpu at that point. Heck you'd also drasticly increase ram. Chuck 8 or 12 gigs of ultra faster gddr and let the cpu have the 16 gigs of ram to itself in the console

So instead of $500 for a ps5 pro a person with a ps5 could just spend $300 for the PRO add on

a external GPU dock or something similar might not be perfect but maybe helpful to renew the Xbox brand and its not so good fate as of late.

Say you have the Yboy -portable for the average user- and the Ygirl -external GPU- for enthusiasts.

Last edited:
a external GPU dock or something similar might not be perfect but maybe helpful to renew the Xbox brand and its not so good fate as of late.

Say you have the Yboy -portable for the average user- and the Ygirl -external GPU- for enthusiasts.

and the theme song is the yboy, ygirl old pop song i cant remember the title

Most likely, MS's contract with Intel will also affect their next console. So they can create the right CPU for the new Xbox.

MS is going all AMD, again. Not that they should consider using Intel anyway, that attempted ROG Ally/etc. alike with Meteor Lake being an absolutely miserable product shows had bad of an idea giving any console contract to Intel would be. Intel years behind AMD in many respects and AMD shows no signs of letting up, and there's no "super special CPU design" MS would have Intel come up with that Intel wouldn't want itself, and similarly be incapable of providing.

Also an EGPU? That would be way too much. "You have to remember to carry around the dock if you want the dock performance" sounds simple, but this is for a mass market product. AKA "we want to take even the dumbest people's money", and an EGPU would definitely frustrate too many people who's money could otherwise be parted from them.

I guess it be interesting if it can be used across the board ?

Buy the external dock and use it on your series S. The cpu is pretty similar in performance to the series x. So you could get series x or better graphics out of it.

Use the external dock on on the x and you get a much better experience on the x

use the external dock on the portable system and get a similar experience to the s + the dock ?

They could even refresh the line up and remove the x and replace it with the cpu and just the gpu from the dock ?

MS is going all AMD, again. Not that they should consider using Intel anyway, that attempted ROG Ally/etc. alike with Meteor Lake being an absolutely miserable product shows had bad of an idea giving any console contract to Intel would be. Intel years behind AMD in many respects and AMD shows no signs of letting up, and there's no "super special CPU design" MS would have Intel come up with that Intel wouldn't want itself, and similarly be incapable of providing.
MS has signed a 15 billion deal with Intel, due to their artificial intelligence developments. In the same month, they announced that they were making the next Xbox hardware, which would be the biggest leap in performance yet. I think there might be some connection between the two things here.

I guess it be interesting if it can be used across the board ?

Buy the external dock and use it on your series S. The cpu is pretty similar in performance to the series x. So you could get series x or better graphics out of it.

Use the external dock on on the x and you get a much better experience on the x

use the external dock on the portable system and get a similar experience to the s + the dock ?

They could even refresh the line up and remove the x and replace it with the cpu and just the gpu from the dock ?
the later would be an option. The console would be a lot more expensive, 'cos you'd need two pieces of hardware, if I understood you correctly? Plus with only the CPU the Series X would become a paperweight when connected in isolation.

For the other possibilities you mention to work on the Series X and S, they would need to make a redesign of the entire console I think.

Dunno which ports the Xbox Series X and S have, but I guess they are USB 3.0. Even a 4.0 USB port like the one on the Lenovo Legion Go can't keep up with the eGPU requirements in demanding games, as shown in the video of the ONEXGPU where in certain games the eGPU is using 50% of its power when connected to the USB 4.0 port 'cos the port can't feed the eGPU to run at more power than that.

For it to work at full speed the guy in the video had to use a mini-PC (the UM780XTS) with a OCuLink port. That would be a first change they should do. Additionally, they could probably have to change the entire energy and power settings so the GPU side of the APU remained idle when connected to the eGPU for the system to be as efficient as possible, but maybe that would be doable at the firmware level.

Also an EGPU? That would be way too much. "You have to remember to carry around the dock if you want the dock performance" sounds simple, but this is for a mass market product. AKA "we want to take even the dumbest people's money", and an EGPU would definitely frustrate too many people who's money could otherwise be parted from them.
I guess the eGPU is for people who want to play at home on a portable device using the big screen. They could make it so that it would only work if you attach the console to it, and it should be inactive inactive the rest of the time.

Taking of portable stuff, it seems like this rumour of Xbox Series M has its roots years ago since MS patented a detachable controller.

the later would be an option. The console would be a lot more expensive, 'cos you'd need two pieces of hardware, if I understood you correctly? Plus with only the CPU the Series X would become a paperweight when connected in isolation.

For the other possibilities you mention to work on the Series X and S, they would need to make a redesign of the entire console I think.

Dunno which ports the Xbox Series X and S have, but I guess they are USB 3.0. Even a 4.0 USB port like the one on the Lenovo Legion Go can't keep up with the eGPU requirements in demanding games, as shown in the video of the ONEXGPU where in certain games the eGPU is using 50% of its power when connected to the USB 4.0 port 'cos the port can't feed the eGPU to run at more power than that.

For it to work at full speed the guy in the video had to use a mini-PC (the UM780XTS) with a OCuLink port. That would be a first change they should do. Additionally, they could probably have to change the entire energy and power settings so the GPU side of the APU remained idle when connected to the eGPU for the system to be as efficient as possible, but maybe that would be doable at the firmware level.
My thoughts lets say the external gpu is $300 -$400 dollars

So you have series S $300 + $300= $600
Xbox series X $500 + $300

but I would wager you'd want to refresh the consoles anyway. so the external gpu would just be for those who already own a series s or series x. a $300 gpu would be too expensive to put into a $300 console. however in a $500 console you could just refresh the x and have the rdna2 portion removed and replaced with the new gpu ?

From what you are saying they would need port speeds that aren't available on the xbox consoles currently so its a moo point . But I guess it could be introduced in the portable console and then future consoles.

The only real issues is it would fragment the user base even more.

My thoughts lets say the external gpu is $300 -$400 dollars

So you have series S $300 + $300= $600
Xbox series X $500 + $300

but I would wager you'd want to refresh the consoles anyway. so the external gpu would just be for those who already own a series s or series x. a $300 gpu would be too expensive to put into a $300 console. however in a $500 console you could just refresh the x and have the rdna2 portion removed and replaced with the new gpu ?

From what you are saying they would need port speeds that aren't available on the xbox consoles currently so its a moo point . But I guess it could be introduced in the portable console and then future consoles.

The only real issues is it would fragment the user base even more.

well, talking of user base fragmentation, while the Xbox Series S is my favourite console of the two Series models, because of price, shape, etc, I don't think it was a good idea from Microsoft. It wasn't a bad idea, but it didn't turn out to be good.

As you say, 300$ isn't a very good price to expand a Series S, for instance. Ideally, they could have a Series S and X with exactly the same CPU and memory speed, and a part of the console could be detachable so you could plug an eGPU. That would add another set of complexities even if you make everything plug & play, as expected from a console.

They would have to design a console like that from the very start, and maybe add a eGPU for 150-200$, which would act as some kind of PS5 Pro but with a GPU only, not the whole CPU + GPU thing, but based on your idea, you'd have to consider splitting the CPU from the GPU, like a PC.

Last edited:
well, talking of user base fragmentation, while the Xbox Series S is my favourite console of the two Series models, because of price, shape, etc, I don't think it was a good idea from Microsoft. It wasn't a bad idea, but it didn't turn out to be good.

As you say, 300$ isn't a very good price to expand a Series S, for instance. Ideally, they could have a Series S and X with exactly the same CPU and memory speed, and a part of the console could be detachable so you could plug an eGPU. That would add another set of complexities even if you make everything plug & play, as expected from a console.

They would have to design a console like that from the very start, and maybe add a eGPU for 150-200$, which would act as some kind of PS5 Pro, so to speak, but based on your idea, you'd have to consider splitting the CPU from the GPU, like a PC.

yea the series s i think suffers from not having 12gigs of ram and also its not powerful enough. The original information I had is that it would be closer to 6tflops . I think that original design would have been much better.

The only way I could see the External GPU being a smart move for a person who has a series s is if they also have the portable console. But I don't know why anyone would have both .

I mean looking at it from the outside in , what would they even get for $150-$200 in terms of gpu power ?

Like right now thats a 3050 with 8gigs or a what a 7500 ? how would it even compare to a series x ? Would even a 5050 or a 8500 offer enough of an upgrade from a series x to justify it at that price point? Or to justify a series s owner adding it on ?

I dunno. maybe if it can be used in a cross fire configuration ? Perhaps cross fire would work better if games get designed specifically for it instead of forcing it in a driver ? I'd imagine you'd have to have two of the same generation graphics chips however so that would have to be for a future console ?

Not sure why you'd need a split cpu/gpu. You could just leave the gpu thats part of the apu to handle the os rendering and any other apps like discord or streaming software.

In my opinion, the following option is:

1. SKU: Mobile Xbox with Intel nextgen APU with 16 GB DDR5 or 6. ~6TFlops with integrated NPU. Delivered with a dock into which the mobile Xbox can be connected to a TV. Docked 2x performance for higher resolution. The dock is equipped with an 800-watt power supply as standard.

All this at a price of $350.

2. SKU: The stuff above, and a relatively strong VGA 16 GB GDDR7 placed in the dock (can be Intel, AMD, Nvidia)

Pricing $650. (in this case, MS would provide the VGA for the machine at a modest price)

Customers can decide what they prefer, a pre-made version equipped with extra VGA, or a basic, cheap mobile version with a dock, for which they can freely choose any VGA they want.

And here comes The twist! The games are PC games, slightly optimized for the console APU, and can be launched from a fully consoled Xbox software interface. With this move, MS is independent from the GPU manufacturers and it is possible for customers to play in the quality they want, starting from the entry level, on mobile, or in the best quality.

Last edited:
As described above, this would really be an Xbox - PC marriage, it can also be ensured that other stores can also sell their games on MS hardware. And backward compatibility is also solved, after all, every Xbox game already has a PC version

The only question is the design. How can all this look good, the mobile Xbox in the dock, which can even fit an 8900 XTX.

Back