Xbox Series... M?

the previous arcade machines used Windows Embedded. This more modern arcade machine, the Sega ALLS which is essentially and literally a PC with an Intel CPU and a nVidia GPU, uses Windows 10 IoT.

gotta wonder how much it'd cost MS to create -new Xbox desktop console aside- a handheld hybrid taking into account that many much smaller companies are making this kind of device, and they upgrade those devices "at will", like the ROG Ally X compared to the original.

My guess would be $500 million to get an S into an M form factor for $299 by 2026. It's a lot of money. If they sell 10 million units, that's $50 per unit. It might be doable.

I think one of the reasons that Sony abandoned the handheld market is that it was hard to support both console and handheld with game development and an M wouldn't have that issue due to the S game library.

And part of the reason for Switch existing, which inspired Gabe to support the Deck, which is the reason MS are all excitable about the handheld space.
well, that and that Windows is at stake. Some colleagues that are console gamers don't seem to undestand this and they hate day 1 releases on PC.

Microsoft never denied this rumour of a hybrid console..., and that's kinda telling.

With the concept of Steam Deck being more and more successful, it's only a matter of time Linux could match Windows in gaming, and that would be very bad news for Windows.

See what happened to Amiga just because Wolfenstein 3D and Doom couldn't run on Amiga at the time, even if it had a much superior OS than MS-DOS and Windows 3.1.

this is something I discussed with @rntongo , but to build on that.... Steam ate Microsoft lunch in gaming. They are much more financially successful than the Xbox department and also MS left a huge potential market behind when they only focused on Xbox. With the Steam Deck things could potentially go further. In that sense Microsoft has forgotten how important is gaming for Windows.

Thanks to games, more Windows are sold, and thanks to there being more Windows, more Office suites are sold, and more subscriptions and more development suits and more browsing is done on Edge, and they can put advertising everywhere, etc.

Everything is interconnected, and above all, the more people use an ecosystem, the more difficult it is for people to leave it, since it becomes essential. And as it becomes essential, when someone buys a computer they buy it with Windows already installed, and that means that part of their money goes to Microsoft, and thus the endless cycle...

That is why Windows is so important, if the majority of computers in the world ran Linux, Microsoft's income in general would plummet, since everything is related.

Windows is the center of everything, well almost everything, they have known how to diversify into the cloud where Windows is no longer so important. But if Windows goes down, they go down.

Do we have steam's official financial results? Or is it just estimates?
tbh I don't. I just remember an interview on the Steam Deck featuring Gabe Newell and some of the engineers behind the Steam Deck.. One of the engineers said "we are a very financially successful company".

Gabe Newell also talked about how creating the base model, the cheapest one, of the Steam Deck was a very tough decision for him -implying that they were selling it at a loss-.

My guess would be $500 million to get an S into an M form factor for $299 by 2026. It's a lot of money. If they sell 10 million units, that's $50 per unit. It might be doable.

I think one of the reasons that Sony abandoned the handheld market is that it was hard to support both console and handheld with game development and an M wouldn't have that issue due to the S game library.
I think in 2026 it would be very easy for MS to take an off the shelf amd apu and have a series s or better portable.

With the concept of Steam Deck being more and more successful, it's only a matter of time Linux could match Windows in gaming, and that would be very bad news for Windows.

See what happened to Amiga just because Wolfenstein 3D and Doom couldn't run on Amiga at the time, even if it had a much superior OS than MS-DOS and Windows 3.1.

Windows and SteamOS devices (what ever it ends up in) will essentially share the same hardware. There's not going to be an Amiga situation, with Windows hardware being essentially stagnant for a decade.

That makes the fight between Windows/Xbox/SteamOS all about the user experience and software library.

Windows and SteamOS devices (what ever it ends up in) will essentially share the same hardware. There's not going to be an Amiga situation, with Windows hardware being essentially stagnant for a decade.
that's right. However hardware isn't the issue I am talking about, but software. MS has always been a software company.

that's right. However hardware isn't the issue I am talking about, but software. MS has always been a software company.

SteamOS just isn't the same threat to Windows as PC gaming was to the Amiga, even on the software side. The games and Steam are still going to be there even if MS aren't getting the bulk of the store cuts. That's a current missed opportunity. Consumers aren't going to chose a SteamOS laptop over a Windows one though.

They might choose a SteamBox over an Xbox or a Deck over an Xboy, which is a potentially a real threat.

SteamOS just isn't the same threat to Windows as PC gaming was to the Amiga, even on the software side. The games and Steam are still going to be there even if MS aren't getting the bulk of the store cuts. That's a current missed opportunity. Consumers aren't going to chose a SteamOS laptop over a Windows one though.

They might choose a SteamBox over an Xbox or a Deck over an Xboy, which is a potentially a real threat.
if you are going to be pinpoint exact, the first paragraph is perfect. The last phrase is also correct, and that's my point. It's not that Steam Deck is a threat in the hardware side, but the software side.

With the Steam Deck and a future Steam Deck 2 out, more and more games will be running on Windows...., and Linux from the get go. And that's where the issue is. If MS doesn't take care of gaming in Windows, it might get to a point where users could freely choose to use Linux. Linux isn't still there, there are a lot of things to do to get there to even get close to Windows, but gaming and Windows have always been hand to hand, and if they don't treat Windows better when it comes to gaming....

Steam Deck is an example of what Windows could be in gaming, and it isn't. For people like me, Windows is fine when it comes to gaming, but I gotta admit there is still a lot of tinkering and that Windows isn't very gaming friendly, despite having the best gaming characteristics of any OS, ironically.

if you are going to be pinpoint exact, the first paragraph is perfect. The last phrase is also correct, and that's my point. It's not that Steam Deck is a threat in the hardware side, but the software side.

With the Steam Deck and a future Steam Deck 2 out, more and more games will be running on Windows...., and Linux from the get go. And that's where the issue is. If MS doesn't take care of gaming in Windows, it might get to a point where users could freely choose to use Linux. Linux isn't still there, there are a lot of things to do to get there to even get close to Windows, but gaming and Windows have always been hand to hand, and if they don't treat Windows better when it comes to gaming....

Steam Deck is an example of what Windows could be in gaming, and it isn't. For people like me, Windows is fine when it comes to gaming, but I gotta admit there is still a lot of tinkering and that Windows isn't very gaming friendly, despite having the best gaming characteristics of any OS, ironically.
Steam deck has its own issues that mirror a windows portable. You have to do a ton of tinkering with the deck and lots of games don't work. This is coming from an owner of a deck

Like I said before. MS just needs to make the xbox app the default gui for a gaming handhelds

I think in 2026 it would be very easy for MS to take an off the shelf amd apu and have a series s or better portable.
Is there discussion of power consumption for this handheld devices? 15~20W should be the max value for reasonable play time (2.5 hr).

We may need N2 process.

Back