Xbox Series... M?

Like I said before. MS just needs to make the xbox app the default gui for a gaming handhelds
that and get rid of all the things that can happen when using default "productivity" Windows. Firewal messages, onedrive getting in the way of everything, notifications, and so many other details...., too many to list here.

that and get rid of all the things that can happen when using default "productivity" Windows. Firewal messages, onedrive getting in the way of everything, notifications, and so many other details...., too many to list here.
I think that type of stuff can be muted but even my steam deck has pop ups off to the side that tell me there are updates and other things going on.

I think that type of stuff can be muted but even my steam deck has pop ups off to the side that tell me there are updates and other things going on.
dunno about Steam Deck, but I gotta say that updates are also very console like in this day and age. When I was using my Xbox One back in 2015 there were updates from time to time. If everything feels automatic to the user, that's a good thing. I am used to tinkering but most people don't want to.

dunno about Steam Deck, but I gotta say that updates are also very console like in this day and age. When I was using my Xbox One back in 2015 there were updates from time to time. If everything feels automatic to the user, that's a good thing. I am used to tinkering but most people don't want to.
Yea

Also I'm not saying that Windows can't be stream lined. It certainly can and more improvements are always welcome. I just think that a lot of the issues people worry about can be easily taken care of

with this new advanced emulation layer called Prism running x86 apps on ARM chips a 20% faster, maybe we could see an ARM Xbox Series M... The link was shared by @Arnold Beckenbauer :

Microsoft says “Prism” translation layer does for Arm PCs what Rosetta did for Macs

with this new advanced emulation layer called Prism running x86 apps on ARM chips a 20% faster, maybe we could see an ARM Xbox Series M... The link was shared by @Arnold Beckenbauer :

Microsoft says “Prism” translation layer does for Arm PCs what Rosetta did for Macs

native is still faster and I don't know of any android soc's that perform as well as the amd ones in gaming

this is a leak from the past year I came across today by sheer chance and I find it interesting. If that's real, an ARM device could be a reality.

x7newOs.png

this is a leak from the past year I came across today by sheer chance and I find it interesting. If that's real, an ARM device could be a reality.

It's from the FTC ABK trial. The slide was old last year when it leaked and just exploring ideas. The recent ARM Windows shows they could transition if it had value to a handheld.

It's from the FTC ABK trial. The slide was old last year when it leaked and just exploring ideas. The recent ARM Windows shows they could transition if it had value to a handheld.
There is a rumor of AMD doing arm cores again. so it could just be Zen 6 cores + amd arm64 cores on a single die also. Or even the xillian ai cores.

Navi 5 is I am assuming RDNA 5?

Next gen ray tracing could also go hand in hand about rdna 5 being redesigned from the ground up

Thin os could simply be for a xbox mobile m

There is a rumor of AMD doing arm cores again. so it could just be Zen 6 cores + amd arm64 cores on a single die also. Or even the xillian ai cores.

Navi 5 is I am assuming RDNA 5?

Next gen ray tracing could also go hand in hand about rdna 5 being redesigned from the ground up

Thin os could simply be for a xbox mobile m
With RDNA4, there will be a real leap technically, I think it will be if AMD is in the new Xbox. RDNA5 may be hardly better, similar to 2-->3.

At the current point, it could be an Intel or Nvidia GPU.

With RDNA4, there will be a real leap technically, I think it will be if AMD is in the new Xbox. RDNA5 may be hardly better, similar to 2-->3.

At the current point, it could be an Intel or Nvidia GPU.
the rumor mill points to rdna4 just being a fixing of rdna 2-3 and RDNA 5 is the complete redesign and may not even be part of the rdna family

he has pretty much confirmed a (hybrid?, from the wording) handheld in this interview. And most importantly it is meant to play games locally.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm starting to think a Series S in portable form is a pipe dream. More than likely we'll get a handheld PC like the ROG Ally and the like. Will be half the power of a Series S with half the bandwidth but they will add 'PS5 Pro' like cores for upscaling. Thus reducing the bandwidth and processing needed of the GPU and CPU.

If I was betting, the "Xbox handheld" is a Surface team built PC that has a custom interface and steamdeck style controllers built in. So it would run PC Gamepass which removed the responsibility from developers to ensure their game is specifically optimized, and the Xbox app will have a "Deck Verified" style badge that lets you know a game will run great the system. So a handheld PC with a more Xbox style interface.

Quote you in here, as we're branching into this thread's territory - The Surface team are involved in (taken over?) Xbox hardware going forward. Seems sensible for them to leverage what Surface devices are doing. They have a very good idea of everyone's ARM roadmap for the next few years, as well as the 'Halo'* devices they want to push.

On software, alongside PC Gamepass/Store titles I'd expect it to run Series S profile titles in a compatibility layer.

For hardware, I'd expect them to go for Surface sized device. Bigger doesn't mean more expensive. It's not necessarily a poor choice ergonomically either.

* boom-tish

Yeah I'm starting to think a Series S in portable form is a pipe dream. More than likely we'll get a handheld PC like the ROG Ally and the like. Will be half the power of a Series S with half the bandwidth but they will add 'PS5 Pro' like cores for upscaling. Thus reducing the bandwidth and processing needed of the GPU and CPU.
Sarah Bond holds the final answer to that. Maybe they are creating a Xbox Series M but they just call it Xboy. And perhaps they'll create a Windows focused handheld called the Xgal.

I say Xgal 'cos it works well with a name like Xboy, and it is going to be the Gamepass console at this rate.

Or maybe they will make a handheld hybrid called Xboy, and a traditional desktop console called Xgal 🙂 -female spiders are bigger than male spiders, female sharks are much bigger than male sharks-

Gal can be girl in english right? I'm not native.

Last edited:
They won't use either of those names.

I think they like the idea of the handheld hybrid, but are cautious about it. I don't think we'll see it this year.

They won't use either of those names.

I think they like the idea of the handheld hybrid, but are cautious about it. I don't think we'll see it this year.
we shall see, I think Xgal sounds cool -and Xboy too-, for a gamepass console, which is basically any kind of console -hybrid or traditional desktop- from Microsoft..., like the gamepass console, hence the ga. The "L" I don't know, from pal xD

You do realize this is a 2026 holiday device right? It'll either be on TMSC's N2 or Intel's 18A.

Compare 2023's Rog Ally (around 2 teraflop desktop / console GPU equivalent) with whatever we have back in 2021, which were Vega handhelds.

If the console has support for Windows games from Steam, Xbox store, etc, then Series S BC isn't super crucial. The number of series s only games that are not on either Xbox One or PC is 0.

For the case the user has bought a current gen only game on Series S, high chances they already have the entitlement to the Windows version due to cross buy.

Back