Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Love_In_Rio, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (((interference)))

Veteran

Can I get an exact quote/link? Your sentence doesn't quite make sense

2. SlickShoesRUCrazy

Newcomer

3. dagnastyep

Newcomer

If they were going to reposition the 360 as a set top box, I think the goal would be to make the 360 less power hungry. The currect slim draws 70 at idle, which is way to much for a DVR/set-top box. I would think it would be easier to just start with a new SoC meant for low power from the begining, then to lower the TDP the 360 SoC.

4. Proelite

Regular

The event that's March 6-7 is the annual Microsoft Research Techfest available only to Microsoft FTEs.

I think it's safe to say that CliffordB is a fraud.

5. dobwal

Veteran

FTE as in full time employees?

Seems like TechDays this year is a little more open.

http://www.globalknowledge.be/news-events/events/Techdays2013/

The 720 might be shown but not to the public.

6. bkilian

Veteran

Probably not. Techfest is Microsoft Research's day in the sun. They'll be showing things like illumiroom, and parametric speaker arrays, and virtual interactions with a desktop and lots of other things that may or may not one day become part of a product, but they won't show an in-development product that they're trying to maintain secrecy about. Not even to FTEs.

My favourite techfest talk was a guy showing how moore's law has been broken now for 5 years, and dark silicon will essentially force us into more fixed function hardware to improve performance, as opposed to just throwing more transistors and clock cycles at the problem.

7. Michellstar

Regular Newcomer

8. SenjutsuSage

Newcomer

Then I suppose the next xbox would be a perfect example of following through on that belief, seeing as how from the specs we have it seems to rely on a number of fixed function hardware to meet its performance goals, as opposed to doing what seemed like the most obvious, such as more compute units, more texture units, more rops, faster, more expensive memory etc.

They even specifically mention Moore's law when describing the move engines and how it's a more productive approach to move certain operations into hardware.

9. dragonelite

Veteran

If true its so not fair im going to techdays this year in the netherlands. All i really saw was windows phone 8 hope to score a wp8 device..

But there was someone else on gaf claiming microsoft double something on durango memory was kinda vague about it if it was space or bandwidth.

10. SanGreal

Regular

11. dobwal

Veteran

Actually there are quite a few things going for Microsoft on this week because TechDay and TechFest are two different things. TechDay (for developers and IT pros) is going on in Belgium from the 6th-8th while another one in the Netherlands starts sometime this week too.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Some of that is intereting and definitely potentially applies to Durango. "Teaching Kinect to Read Your Hands" for example is coming to the Windows SDK so there's a high probability that it shows the direction Kinect 2.0 will be going with UI control on Durango.

"Toward Large-Display Experiences" could also have some bearing. One of it's abilities is using a smartphone as a proxy of the screen allowing for direct control (acting as mouse and keyboard for example).

"Facing Interaction" shows some really interesting stuff involving extensive facial and biometric mapping. Not something directly applicable to Kinect, although of that stuff may eventually trickle down. I just thought it was neat. :D

Lots of other really interesting stuff as well.

Regards,
    SB

13. SanGreal

Regular

It's actually mentioned in the kotaku kinect 2.0 info, so yeah I think there is a pretty good chance it will be used for "clicks" in the new UI. That was one of the worst parts of navigating with kinect -- having to hold your hand for several seconds to click

which is exactly what that demo is showing. they have video here (using kinect 1): http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/default.aspx?id=185502

14. astrograd

Regular

The event being discussed has nothing to do with TechFest. It's their FY14 START event. It's absolutely a showing heavily centered on Durango. This isn't some rumor guys.

15. (((interference)))

Veteran

Not just Durango, more like all their upcoming products and services

You can read the schedule here:
    http://www.scribd.com/document_down...t=1362545843&uahk=QAwQQivUJ956dUqoyM/lCVoKjiU (direct link to PDF)
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/127281260/START-FY14-Event-Agenda-and-Information#download

16. Kb-Smoker

Regular

Where are durango event? I dont see anything about a console. Just looks like xbox game events and live events. Wonder if its the same every year. Anyone check back to older events?

17. SenjutsuSage

Newcomer

Notice the more interesting sounding xbox events all sound like they are invite only.

18. SanGreal

Regular

19. Gipsel

Veteran

No. It's probably a Kabini reference kit.

20. dobwal

Veteran

With a BluRay Drive on it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.