Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
so a geforce Titan that cost 100-150$ why cost 1000$?

I will be surprised if a vapor chamber will cost more than 1-2 $ to microsoft

we know little about orbis and almost nothing about durango, so we don't know what the R&D have done in those 8 years
anyway Kin2 have another infrared sensor plus the old depth sensor, have 4x the resolution of cams, up to fullhd, can see more points of the body, even if hided, can track full 6 players no matter if sitted down or standing, have 1/3 of latency and can do all this in the darkness
but nothing revolutionary

Surely kinect 2 has improved but not to the point that I believe that MS has spent the greater part of R&D.At this point I think MS wants to walk the path of a console very cheap (249/299$ to D1) and point to that as a selling point.
With the hardware described in the leak MS can not focus on graphics as a selling point but it will be powerful enough to run the titles of the third party even if with less effects less, worse textures,etc...
MS had the opportunity to create the most powerful console of the next gen without major problems having the money and the technical capacity to do so, instead have clearly taken a different path.I doubt that will change their mind now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely kinect 2 has improved but not to the point that I believe that MS has spent the greater part of R&D.At this point I think MS wants to walk the path of a console very cheap (249/299$ to D1) and point to that as a selling point.
With the hardware described in the leak MS can not focus on graphics as a selling point but it will be powerful enough to run the titles of the third party even if with less effects less, worse textures,etc...

well if the final hardware will be the old leaked one, I'll buy orbis, but I'm a tech fanatic, the games will be barely different, even in stop motion exame, as are now PS360 games

I don't think that MS will sell xbox next at similar or lower price than full premium 360

I see PS4 @ 450-500$ and XboxNext at 400 (8GB GDR5 are ~ 100$ alone)

because their source have wrote a lot of times that are OLD could be a good reason, what you think?
from the days he gives those specs from what I know there was a change in august and some minor after november, nobody know what

anyway until the Xbox Event

http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-durangoxbox-next-presentation-being-hinted/

I quote from the articles:

DF: In the case of the brush-strokes of the Durango and Orbis specs, not only do we have double-sourced information of our own, but we also have an extra form of backup in the form of these other leaks. Therefore, our belief is that the specs we are discussing are not only accurate, but very, very close - if not identical - to the make-up of the final hardware.

Kotaku: While various outlets, including Kotaku, have shared information on the technical specifications of Durango development kits, the specs you're about to see here are those for the final retail units that consumers will be getting their hands on.

What you say is, I quote, "we know little about orbis and almost nothing about durango" and yet this is the VGleaks Durango thread.
We are discussing about about the the VGleaks/DF specs not about nothing; YOU are discussing about them as well!

I quote from the articles:

do yourself a favour
go to the twitter profile of superdae and read all, go to gaf and read, then return here
seems to me that you want to believe who listen the source more than the source, why, to show one system as "defeated"? you can believe what you want, but you can't make a fact from a rumor, and this is another fact

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1710907&postcount=2681

I can't agree more

do yourself a favour
go to the twitter profile of superdae and read all, go to gaf and read, then return here
Okay. So in summary, you're saying we don't know what the specs are and the rumours count for nothing, that whatever hardware MS have used can be overclocked for a couple of bucks but MS haven't decided to do that, but MS will now because their hardware (that we don't know anything about) isn't as fast as PS4 but can have the gap closed with a 50% overclock which a cheap vapour chamber can't deal with and you'd need a Peltier cell, which is still cheap but MS designed a GPU that used 50% more CUs than they needed instead of using a peltier cell which is cheaper.

I would hold out for the rumoured Xbox event, but as the source you quote is the same source we are using for the leaks that you say are worthless, I guess I can't believe that Xbox event is going to happen... :p

Okay. So in summary, you're saying we don't know what the specs are and the rumours count for nothing, that whatever hardware MS have used can be overclocked for a couple of bucks but MS haven't decided to do that, but MS will now because their hardware (that we don't know anything about) isn't as fast as PS4 but can have the gap closed with a 50% overclock which a cheap vapour chamber can't deal with and you'd need a Peltier cell, which is still cheap but MS designed a GPU that used 50% more CUs than they needed instead of using a peltier cell which is cheaper.

I would hold out for the rumoured Xbox event, but as the source you quote is the same source we are using for the leaks that you say are worthless, I guess I can't believe that Xbox event is going to happen... :p

mmh, no..
I say that, those until official words, are old leaks
that overclock is an option for an easy last minute improvement
that a 15-25% overclock can be stable using the right cooling system

the rest of things are joke extensions to my words ;)

vgleaks is not the source of anything, but a news site with the word "leaks" in its name

mmh, no..

vgleaks is not the source of anything, but a news site with the word "leaks" in its name

If a 15-25% overclock can still guarantee great yields with a minor improvement in the cooling system why aren't Sony doing it?.

But that doesn't make sense, unless you're ignoring costs in your argument. If any console can be improved 15-25% just by overclocking, why is that not used? Because it's more expensive than designing the system faster in the first place (14 CUs instead of 12 CUs), and you have to wonder what the costs are and what financially viable.

As for the 50% comment, you did imply that here. You replied to bkilian's assertion that nothing can net you 50% better performance with a pint to overclocking. Maybe you were just ignoring context of a consumer affordable device which were the operating limits of bkilian's point?

If a 15-25% overclock can still guarantee great yields with a minor improvement in the cooling system why aren't Sony doing it?.

Orbis has a higher TDP than the rumored Durango specs so their room for higher clocks is obviously more limited. That doesn't mean that I think a higher clock for Durango is a real solution to the differences between the specs(around 30% I assume atm)

mmh, no..

The Source for Vgleaks was SuperDaE :rolleyes:
And He said that this specs have Changed! We know that DaE was legit at the end and i dont get why people taking this old as fuck specs as a fact. They are not.
I think that Microsoft will surprise many of us. And some people should ignore this Gaf Insiders, most of them simply dont have access to the recent stuff.
We know that some Devs have Durango Beta kits since December, but this kits could be provisional.
I really hope we get some decent Leaks next month.

The Source for Vgleaks was SuperDaE :rolleyes:
And He said that this specs have Changed! We know that DaE was legit at the end and i dont get why people taking this old as fuck specs as a fact. They are not.
I think that Microsoft will surprise many of us. And some people should ignore this Gaf Insiders, most of them simply dont have access to the recent stuff.
We know that some Devs have Durango Beta kits since December, but this kits could be provisional.
I really hope we get some decent Leaks next month.

Durango devkits have not changed, Iherre confirmed this time ago.

Edit : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47291466&postcount=678

He is the one that leaked the ps4 memory b/w had changed from 192 GB/s. So he has up to date info on dev kits.

Iherre = Accurate

MS has made a good design and it sould be really cheap to make. I see them launching at the same price as the xbox 360. $299/$399.

Yep to hit the 'sweet spot' of mass market appeal. £299.

Just an fyi but the dreamcast had a heat pipe heatsink back in 1998

Wonder if the nextbox is using windows blue. Its rumored to have alot of speed optimisations in the kernal along with a smaller foot print

I don't' understand why there is a desperate hope that the MS console is on par with the PS4.

If MS has a different to-market strategy then Sony, then lets perhaps see what they came up with before worrying about what they could or couldn't do to match Sony spec for spec.

If the specs are on par or even better but the strategy shift is completely not in line with you want from next gen, does it matter? In contrast, if the specs are lower but they bring something new to the table that makes you want the console, will you not buy it because some theoretical numbers don't match up?

I keep wondering in which pieces of the next xbox MS has spent on R&D.Definitely not on the GPU of 1.2 Tflops and the memory of 8 GB ddr3 both components are cheap and far from good performance graphics.MS has spent all the Kinect 2??Here too, I doubt according to the leak of vgleaks is nothing revolutionary compared to kinect 1 to component level.
At this point I think that the assumption of a very low price of 249$ is the most crebile.
I think they carefully calculated the budget and expended most of their money in the R&D department, rather than in considerably expensive hardware, trying to make the most of the hardware.

Ideally the machine is meant to be a TBDR console. If that's the case the hardware could be pretty decent. If not, it is rather average these days.

On a different note, quoting @Cjail.

DF: In the case of the brush-strokes of the Durango and Orbis specs, not only do we have double-sourced information of our own, but we also have an extra form of backup in the form of these other leaks. Therefore, our belief is that the specs we are discussing are not only accurate, but very, very close - if not identical - to the make-up of the final hardware.

Well, even DF can be wrong sometimes. There were minimal changes in one of them, which dramatically changed things for the best.

Durango could slightly compete in the hardware race if the low latency allow for extremely high speeds and they solved the bandwidth issue through the implementation of virtual texturing and TBDR or whatever methods and techniques they come up with.

With a design ready for production and with the PS4 having such improved performance, Durango most likely will be the Gamecube of this generation, which was a fine console overall, although not the most powerful, just balanced. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back