Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not required for games, it is required to be plugged to the Xbox One, but you can turn off the camera (not the kinect itself).

I never specifically mentioned the camera. Maybe this is where the confusion is coming from.
Kinect required for games but not kinect camera. Although the camera is a huge part of kinect.

but it bring back the question, if the clock not upped, why Xbox One box so big. Bigger than PS4.

Built for silence, built for ease of manufacturing, built for ease of assembly.

Perhaps the target size is to blend in with the rest of your audio/visual equipment?

but it bring back the question, if the clock not upped, why Xbox One box so big. Bigger than PS4.

Well the design of the Xbox probably serves 2 masters. One is to get rid of heat in a simple, robust and quiet fashion. The 2nd is to have a chassis that "blends" in with rest of the AV equipment. These alleged requirements can go hand in glove since being if too big doesn't matter then you can choose the most straightforward method for cooling. In the case of XB1 it's one big heat sink and fan complex over the SOC with the air blowing out the top above the fan.

As has been said Sony can do hardware very well and was looking to make the system stand up ( so to speak ) on it's own. That means that they spent a bit more time and energy, i.e money, on a design that can do the job in a more constricted space.

Neither of these companies can afford these things to overheat I can't imagine either will.

I had heard from a little birdy that Microsoft was playing around with 850 MHz and 900 MHz up clocks on GPU and ESRAM that's why they were having yield problems?

So did they decide to go against that and not up clock because of bad yields and that's where the down clock rumor started?

Mister BKillian can you confirm or deny with your sources?
I have not heard of any upclocking attempts.

The simple heatsink/fan design, while low cost and silent, requires the 3" height (size, cost, silent, pick two), Sony most probably used their usual centrifugal design, which they love, so they got away with 2". Other than that, MS probably has a larger motherboard, and they couldn't place the 16 memory chips any closer to the SoC, which wastes a lot of space compared to a GDDR5 configuration. From the xbone teardown images, I think MS had enough space left inside to put the power supply internally, but they didn't, for reasons unknown.

Sony is better than MS apparently designing hardware, sony is a hardware company at heart.

Just look at the PS3 vs xbox 360,since day one the PS3 had a build in power supply,the xbox 360 does not to this day,and the xbox one doesn't either.

Sony is just using the bast experience they have manufacturing electronics.;)

The simple heatsink/fan design, while low cost and silent, requires the 3" height (size, cost, silent, pick two), Sony most probably used their usual centrifugal design, which they love, so they got away with 2". Other than that, MS probably has a larger motherboard, and they couldn't place the 16 memory chips any closer to the SoC, which wastes a lot of space compared to a GDDR5 configuration. From the xbone teardown images, I think MS had enough space left inside to put the power supply internally, but they didn't, for reasons unknown.

Probably for heat concerns,the PSU been internal will generate more heat.

I had heard from a little birdy that Microsoft was playing around with 850 MHz and 900 MHz up clocks on GPU and ESRAM that's why they were having yield problems?

So did they decide to go against that and not up clock because of bad yields and that's where the down clock rumor started?

Mister BKillian can you confirm or deny with your sources?

I don't know whether they considered an up clock or not, but I do know that the current clocks are as per vgleaks for both CPU and GPU.

I have not heard of any upclocking attempts.
Upclock or not, I wonder how many millions you guys spent on the console.

With the unique/exciting architecture of the Xbox One I can already imagine the m(b)illions Microsoft spent on R&D to create the architecture.

That's why I can't wait to see it in action. :smile:

In that sense, there is no match this generation, imho. :eek: The more powerful PS4 is like the original Xbox, rather boring architecture-wise, basically a laptop with an A10 APU.

The fact that the design, while nice and compact, reminds me of a laptop where you can lift the lid and see the screen doesn't help either.

Its not really , Madden has the NFL to fall back on. Without that liscense there is nothing that can dethrone it . Look at Fifia and Pez . There are 2 franchises that go back and forth being better than the other.

With COD at some point a Titan Fall or Battlefield or Destiny can come out and disrupt people from buying it. It only takes a game to change things

Change things? In this industry? Unfortunately the past week demonstrates that change is the last thing that gamers want.

Forgive me. Historically the only thing capable of disrupting franchises as popular as this is for it to lose it's appeal.

Sony is better than MS apparently designing hardware, sony is a hardware company at heart.

Just look at the PS3 vs xbox 360,since day one the PS3 had a build in power supply,the xbox 360 does not to this day,and the xbox one doesn't either.

Sony is just using the bast experience they have manufacturing electronics.;)

I dunno, I look at these photos and a see a lot of empty space compared to the compactness of other systems, and it looks like they are really concerned about heat. And to be honest, I'd rather have a large system that's quite than a small system that's loud. Since I will buy all my games digitally, I am never going to touch my Xbox One after I set it up in my living room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Change things? In this industry? Unfortunately the past week demonstrates that change is the last thing that gamers want.

Forgive me. Historically the only thing capable of disrupting franchises as popular as this is for it to lose it's appeal.

Yea change happens but it takes a lightning rod to do do it.

Remember with the when JRPGs were so popular back in the ps/ps2 era ? Well that happened because of FF7 on the PS1 .

Remember how no one cared about FPS games on the consoles and then over night everyone and their mother were making them ?

Remember how CRPGS/WRPGs were dead/dieing and then oblivion came out and kick started the craze this past generation ?

Its allways one title that changes things. There were 3 cod games before MW hit and made it the king of the land. Another game can knock it down

Yea change happens but it takes a lightning rod to do do it.

Remember with the when JRPGs were so popular back in the ps/ps2 era ? Well that happened because of FF7 on the PS1 .

Remember how no one cared about FPS games on the consoles and then over night everyone and their mother were making them ?

Remember how CRPGS/WRPGs were dead/dieing and then oblivion came out and kick started the craze this past generation ?

Its allways one title that changes things. There were 3 cod games before MW hit and made it the king of the land. Another game can knock it down

If I had huge amounts of money to bet on what will take down the #1 shooter (Call of Duty) and #1 MMO (World of Warcraft), I'd place all my money on Destiny (basically a shooter MMO). And all 3 properties are conveniently owned by Activision.

considering that the ps4 is said to have more Tflops of power and at the same time getting by with just a small case (with a one-way ventilation setup), it does leave lots to think about.

Even with the massive heatsink microsoft is using, it doesn't mean that only they are the ones thinking about heat. both companies have to, and i think sony a little more because of the supposed higher clock speeds and confined space. In a lot of circumstances they're in a risky position with case; i would love to see their solution but that is for an other thread.

the theory of upping the clock speeds would be based on more than just the heatsink and fan but the chips used. there were updated reports of no yield problems so maybe it's either already happened or left as is.

edit - also with microsoft cutting off the usage of an always on connection, it dose force the console to be more independent now. taking that into consideration upping the clock speeds could also be made because of that.

considering that the ps4 is said to have more Tflops of power and at the same time getting by with just a small case (with a one-way ventilation setup), it does leave lots to think about.

Even with the massive heatsink microsoft is using, it doesn't mean that only they are the ones thinking about heat. both companies have to, and i think sony a little more because of the supposed higher clock speeds and confined space. In a lot of circumstances they're in a risky position with case; i would love to see their solution but that is for an other thread.

the theory of upping the clock speeds would be based on more than just the heatsink and fan but the chips used. there were updated reports of no yield problems so maybe it's either already happened or left as is.

edit - also with microsoft cutting off the usage of an always on connection, it dose force the console to be more independent now. taking that into consideration upping the clock speeds could also be made because of that.

Not really. You need to separate the DRM checking from the actual use case of cloud computing. Games that were already going to use the cloud were always going to need an online connection anyway, that's why I found talking about the check pointless for most people.

We aren't going to know how loud each of these machines are until they are released. If the Xbox One is quieter than the PS4, I'd consider that a win, regardless of size. These aren't portable devices after all.

I dunno, I look at these photos and a see a lot of empty space compared to the compactness of other systems, and it looks like they are really concerned about heat.
If that resembles the final design, the cooling system is rather brute-force, though. A huge fan sitting on top of what looks like a big aluminium heatspreader enhanced by a few heatpipes. Colder air sucked in from the top, blown through the heatspreader and multidirectionally dissipated throughout the system. It's the silent version of a midrange off-the-shelf CPU cooler in an HTPC case.

My asumption would be that Sony's approach works more like the solutions we've come to expect from dual-slot graphic cards or cramped gaming notebooks (where a good airflow and getting the heat quickly out of the system is key), i.e. a blower-type fan which blows the colder air sideways through a large heatspreader before dissipating the hotter air through an explicitly designed airflow duct immediately out of the case.

Sony's approach should turn out a little louder, but at the same time it's more effective and allows for a more compact design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back