XBox One and Windows 10 Programs [UWP, X0, W10]

Windows had nothing to do with the only real success Microsoft has had in new markets, XBOX Live (after huge investments and huge costs of course, not least of which the amount of focus it took away from keeping/making Windows consumer friendly). Treating optimization of each platform individually as the priority and cross platform integration as a secondary goal is not doing nothing, it's simply a question of prioritization ... I'd say it's a question of sanity.

At the moment the only common thread running through Microsoft's effort to diversify is that they hurt their core business in the process, Metro and the big joke which was the Windows Store of course being the big example ... or a little closer to home the DirectX drama. If it can strengthen Windows they have yet to prove it.

I'm not sure that's one better than Google though who offers access to their office on any device. I've never used their office suite so don't know how it compares. But for me the idea is extended into the whole Windows library. I can buy naffy art apps on Android/iOS, or I can run my full-fat Windows applications and run them on every device. I know which I'd rather have access to. ;)

Real Office will remain win32 Office, as the Office part of Microsoft has felt the need to repeatedly point out in the last couple of years to not scare away customers ... it won't be coming to Windows Phone any time soon.

Last edited:
I know it's been a while since there was any activity in this thread, but I just came across this Microsoft UWP Applications that are available on the XBox One. The list is a lot longer than I thought it would be in it's early phases of UWP for Xbox.

Many of them already support background audio playing, so that must be rather simple to use from a developer perspective.

The list is being created on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...vailable_on_xbox_one/?st=isle5e2o&sh=6f86114c

Which apps have you tried? Which are must haves?

Windows had nothing to do with the only real success Microsoft has had in new markets, XBOX Live (after huge investments and huge costs of course, not least of which the amount of focus it took away from keeping/making Windows consumer friendly). Treating optimization of each platform individually as the priority and cross platform integration as a secondary goal is not doing nothing, it's simply a question of prioritization ... I'd say it's a question of sanity.

At the moment the only common thread running through Microsoft's effort to diversify is that they hurt their core business in the process, Metro and the big joke which was the Windows Store of course being the big example ... or a little closer to home the DirectX drama. If it can strengthen Windows they have yet to prove it.

Real Office will remain win32 Office, as the Office part of Microsoft has felt the need to repeatedly point out in the last couple of years to not scare away customers ... it won't be coming to Windows Phone any time soon.
win 32 office will come to surface phones tho . Surface phone will replace the need of a dock and will have intel chip sinside it. Excpect it fall of 2017

The point of UWP and xbox games on it is to give users a library that makes them want to go from xbox to pc instead of having an xbox and mac . They are going to want it to go that way with surface phone. Well I have all these apps on my xbox and windows pc/laptop/tablet let me get windows phone and use it .

I know it's been a while since there was any activity in this thread, but I just came across this Microsoft UWP Applications that are available on the XBox One. The list is a lot longer than I thought it would be in it's early phases of UWP for Xbox.

Many of them already support background audio playing, so that must be rather simple to use from a developer perspective.

The list is being created on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...vailable_on_xbox_one/?st=isle5e2o&sh=6f86114c

Whoa, there's even Torrent apps in there! It's going to fascinating to see how this evolves.

Regards,
SB

I must say I am impressed that they did not give up and at long last managed to get a proper, open App Store onto the Xbox platform. They had a few false starts, but now it is finally here and I think it will pay off. It may even turn out to be one of their best features that Sony won't have (because they did try with PS mobile and really did give up, and I don't see them come back any time soon).

I am impressed at some of the apps that made into the list, like torrents, apps for catholics, apps for TV, and so on and so forth.

I've tried two, Torrent TV and TV Online Univ. Both seem to work, especially TV Online Univ. I said "seem" because Torrent TV requires a 10MB connection as minimum requirements, and I have a 6MB connection, so it doesnnt work for me, but it has the kind of channels I want to watch, especially sports. TV Online Univ is excellent, but it includes the standard, generalist TV channels from all over the world, not those typical cable channels with more specific content. I shall keep investigating

Wtf ... this stuff doesn't show up in the Xbox Store? Good Microsoft. You're providing apps that no one knows about, or how to install.

It would have been nice if Microsoft would have let the author of Nesbox know why the app could be approved for Windows but not for the Xbox platform. Without knowing, potential developers thinking about making a UWP app for the Xbox will be disincentivized to develop apps for the Xbox as they wouldn't know ahead of time whether their app might be approved or not approved.

What makes it appropriate for X platform but not Y platform? UWP developers need to know these things if they want to make use of UWP. This just seems like Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot again by. Create UWP apps to run on multiple platforms, but we might deny publishing rights on certain platforms due to reasons that we won't let you know about.

The wording seems to imply that maybe he could get it published on Xbox if he also limited it to certain markets, but how would he even know which markets he could limit it to?

Regards,
SB

I think they are coming in the next Xbox update.

Btw, new universal app, Mr. Bean, and it's fine

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/mr-bean/9wzdncrfj2k8#ratings-reviews

2mo2tld.jpg

mr-bean.jpg

It would have been nice if Microsoft would have let the author of Nesbox know why the app could be approved for Windows but not for the Xbox platform. Without knowing, potential developers thinking about making a UWP app for the Xbox will be disincentivized to develop apps for the Xbox as they wouldn't know ahead of time whether their app might be approved or not approved.

What makes it appropriate for X platform but not Y platform? UWP developers need to know these things if they want to make use of UWP. This just seems like Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot again by. Create UWP apps to run on multiple platforms, but we might deny publishing rights on certain platforms due to reasons that we won't let you know about.

The wording seems to imply that maybe he could get it published on Xbox if he also limited it to certain markets, but how would he even know which markets he could limit it to?

Regards,
SB
the difference I see here is that they can do nothing to prevent the PC for receiving the emulator, because MS don't own the platform, the PC is a free platform, but anyways, I kinda agree with you, that developers need to know beforehand what constitutes a red line and whatnot.

plus, Nintendo's offices are in Seattle, too, so maybe employees of both companies talk about that... , albeit they are sort of surrounded, Nintendo are there.

upload_2016-9-10_21-17-24.png

Judging by a screenshot it is not fine.
needs_more_jpg_king_oampfj.gif

Today my best childhood's friend gave me a visit and we played some Xbox One games. Yesterday I had downloaded the Mr. Bean app on the PC and watched some episodes... Today, when I switched the Xbox One to play with my friend, there it was, the Mr. Bean app, :smile2: I watched episode 7 for some time before playing games. It was really curious how transparently it worked.

Last edited:
So your saying if you install a universal app on your pc it also gets installed on your xb1 as well ?

You still have to install the app on each device. Just like installing a UWP app on one of your PCs doesn't install that app on all of your PCs.

Regards,
SB

If only the win32 stuff I use also available on UWP or Xbox can play win32 apps,

I'll happily buy it as "docking station" and to replace my shitty PC.

Heck, I think offices will like it too. Much cheaper to buy and maintenance free.

So your saying if you install a universal app on your pc it also gets installed on your xb1 as well ?
yes, something like that. I installed the Mr. Bean app the other day on PC and when I launched the Xbox One next day it appeared sort of highlighted in my Xbox dashboard, ready to go, although I have the console in Instant on mode, if it was in power saving mode once the X1's main screen launched it would be the same.

You need to use the same user/email address on the Windows 10 devices you want to run universal apps on, of course.

So buddha's wrong ?
when you say "when I launched the Xbox One next day it appeared sort of highlighted in my Xbox dashboard, ready to go"
you mean it was installed and not it was a notification to say you have this on your pc would you like it on your xbox, click to download and install it ?

ps:
win 32 office will come to surface phones tho
Office on a phone ? that sounds awful

Last edited:
I have had office on my iPhone and my iPad for a while now (a year?) and it's a delight to be honest.

I have had office on my iPhone and my iPad for a while now (a year?) and it's a delight to be honest.
Same here. I regularly use Outlook and the Office suite on a work iPhone 6S. It's pretty damn good considering it's a phone.

Back