Xbox Live Pricing Strategies (for movies/Tv shows)

silhouette

Regular
I was checking the TV contents yesterday and was amazed by the size of library. They are hosting almost all new shows, and almost all popular old shows as well. If they add a few more TV content providers like Discovery and come up with a monthly plan, I may seriously consider ditching my cable alltogether.

I wonder why MS has not come up with a monthly payment plan, similar to what Netflix is offering. I am still hesitant to pay 2-3$/show, but if they allow me to download unlimited number of shows at a monthly rate of 20$, I may go for it.

What do you guys think?

I guess you pretty much described IPTV. :p From what I understand, they already have the ability to do it, but they may still be locked into discussions with service providers. :???: Recall last CES when MS said IPTV would be available by Christmas 2007. ;)

IPTV is more like cable, you subscribe and they broadcast shows. It just isn't delivered like traditional cable. It isn't about downloading, though providers will likely have video on demand services.

IPTV is also currently available in only a few areas.

It requires expensive layouts of fiber cable. Verizon Fios and AT&T U-Verse are the only two implementations I know of. From there, you basically subscribe to it like cable (and the price is similiar!), except it's more interactive and has some other advantages.

IPTV seems to be tremendously understood with regards to Xbox360. People seem to think it's for anybody with a broadband connection.

Well, I am not talking about IPTV. I am not looking for real-time streaming.. As long as they allow me to download the shows even if delayed by one day, that's fine with me.. This is more like an on-demand service, only one that does not deliver the content real-time.

I agree that a flat-rate or subscription for TV content would be great. I can't see myself spending a la cart on TV content, it's just way too expensive. It's OK for movie rentals, but not for TV. Hopefully they could offer a way to subscribe to all TV programs for a flat monthly fee. Or a season pass type subscription for all episodes of one TV show. Maybe the studios could also offer a flat-rate for all their shows. The possibilities abound. They offer a monthly fee for the Zune service, so doing it for TV shows shouldn't be much of stretch. Unless, Microsoft can't do this without being classified as a cable TV or satellite TV sevice.

Tommy McClain

Back