Ads: Paving the way for Nextgen Game Development Cost Increases?

I wish I could turn certain pages off since I know I'll never use them (Music and Videos).

i dunno i can see the billboards argument for a sports game that would be sensible, but if i have to watch a shampoo commercial or something while the game is supposedly loading i will literally give up playing new games.

it pulls you out of the experience, and it just gives publishers an excuse to make loading screens more frequent and longer. things that i was hoping would go away in the future, with streaming assets and such.

there are probably slick ways to insert advertising into games, but that might actually be worse. imagine buying the next gen bethsoft rpg, and all the merchants sold nabisco brand products? maybe the new beyonce songs would be playing in the tavern or something. hyperbole of course, but you get the idea.

i just think games and really all media in general should be about its own content, not just serving as another vehicle to deliver advertising to people, especially considering that you already purchased it, with money. imagine buying a dvd, that had commercials in it, or a hardcover book full of car ads, and axe body spray ads. its the same principle and it would be horrible.

I agree 100%.

I will never pay full price for a game that is a work of fiction with real world ads in it.

Loading screen ads are a horrible idea.
They would mean that loading times will be slowed down to make you see all the ad (if it is a video one) or keep it in front of you as long as possible.

It would be even ruder if a PC game with loading screen ads came out and forced me to wait 30secs before I could play no matter how fast my PC loaded the level.

That only works in games that can fit in product placement. It wouldn't work for most games, like Skyrim, dark souls...anything sci-fi or fantasy or otherworld.

Well, all this was discussed before. Hence my reaction to this thread - there's no point IMO in discussing what people would or would not like to see, or what can and can't be done, regards advertising as that discussion has been had. IMO the debate shifts to what'll change for next-gen and why when in-game ads aren't being supported in a big way this gen despite the fact it'd be a great revenue stream and is technically possible. These last two posts are my current guess - people don't want ads in the games they've already paid for, just as we all hate adverts on the DVDs/BRDs we've bought, and we all skip past the TV ads on our digiboxes, and the publishers and platform holders are sensitive to that. Games are currently 'clean' and changing that may be something companies don't want to do just for fear of reaction. If COD doesn't have a "Mountain Dew" backdrop in its loading screens when it can get away with it more than any other game, I can't see anyone else giving it a go.

I'm inclined to believe you're right Shifty.

If one console has forced ads and the other doesn't, that'll be one reason to buy the ad-free console and not get pestered...

Interesting point and one which would follow the plan I'd outlined.

If as a publisher/developer, you get ad revenue on one platform and none on the other, do you think the pubs/devs might pressure that platform to provide this new source of revenue?

It isn't simply a money grab (or shouldn't be).

There should be perks for all involved which offset the inconvenience of the ads, or it will indeed be a deterrent.

Bottom line for this concept is that increased revenue is needed.

Advertising (in some form) is in most other entertainment mediums.

The larger the market of eyeballs, the more potential money.

As we've seen in other advertising deals, they can be quite lucrative (billions/year).

I fully understand and agree that ads should be relevant, unobtrusive, and quid pro quo.

Nobody wants to see a tampon commercial between rounds of Gears online which normally take 35 seconds to load, but now take a full minute.

But advertisers aren't stupid, and there's a reason you don't see tampons while watching Football on Sunday either. That would be a waste of their money pushing this product on Gears gamers. Between rounds of YourShape or Zumba? You could make a case for this.

But as I said, if ads are just dropped in on top of the $60 retail game with nothing in return for the inconvenience on gamers, they will absolutely piss people off.

Well, all this was discussed before. Hence my reaction to this thread ...

This was in 2006. Times change, new members join, opinions change, trends change.

You have a point WRT why this revenue generator hasn't been introduced before now, but I think a big part of that is the games online audience wasn't worth the investment years ago.

We now have a total of 85million "users" online with xbl and psn.

That's a big audience to ignore.

Your link shows MS is recognizing the opportunity and taking advantage in the dashboard.

Their approach may be a direct result of their analysis that xb360 spends more time being a media hub than a games machine.

Publishers and developers would have to work to get ads in their games and for this effort, they would want a cut of a standard ad placement strategy.

Perhaps THIS is the reason we haven't seen movement in this direction.

If a game like COD MW3 had ads, and BF3 didn't, well that might have caused a sales shift ...

The quandary for a successful title like COD using ads is that they are already wildly successful and profitable and so the need for ad support is lessened. Their approach has been more of a sell-up via map packs and I think it was called "elite". (?)

So then, if it were pitched as a standard of the platform, pubs/devs would be excited across the board as no competitive advantage with other games would exist. They would also likely push this on the other platform to introduce them as standard as well.

Negotiations on price structure would be interesting, but I think having a limited contract (2 years) to analyze how such a revenue generator was working for all involved would be a good way to get the ball rolling without fear of either party getting screwed.

"The research goal was to determine both the value of online video advertising inside of casual games and the most efficient use of video advertising in casual games. In partnership with advertiser Zappos.com, casual game players across the NeoEdge Network were intercepted with a survey request after game play."

It goes on to say that game players associated the brand with the advertiser of free-to-play games. So yeah, an advertiser footing the bill for a $1 game gets a lot of appreciation, while casual gamers in the social networks on browsers which already abound with advertising (and for which they probably have one or more obtrusive Web Helper Bars added that they never wanted) don't find it off-putting.

Here are some games. What sort of advertising could be added in a loading screen (I'd go with static images, not animations as that'll definitely have a negative effect) without being ubtrusive?

Uncharted
Gears
COD
FIFA
Skyrim
Zelda
Mariokart

In some case something like Nickleodeon or Nike would fit in. In other cases I can't see any advert being unoffensive. If you compare to your research above where the player is getting something for free from the advertiser, that points more to a branded DLC option being welcome. We've seen games created by sponsors - I think Burger King did some XB360 games early on. We've seen sponsored deals like Mountain Dew sales. You can give away content. This isn't proving at all popular though. LBP/LBP2 were golden opportunities to have commercially sponsored content. There was one Prius level. I can't think of much more. Why is Coke and Adidas and whoever creating LBP levels? There just seems a reluctance to invade the gaming space.

I reckon the first real steps towards this will come from companies sponsoring DLC, long before loading-screen ads and the like. Imagine some brand wanting major recognition in the male gamer demographic. Pay for a Modern Warfare DLC and give it away free, and they'll get excellent recognition. That seems the most direct and obvious opportunity. It's not something that's really being tried though. After Lucozade and Penguin product placements in the 90s, and the Cool Spot game, it looked like brand-supported gaming had launched, but it hasn't grown at all. It remains extremely niche outside of social network/casual free gaming. It's not like anyone's even experiementing. Offer both paid-for and free ad-supported games on Live!/PSN and see how they do. Why's that not happening??

Why's that not happening??

I'll respond to the rest of your post in a bit but as for why advertisers and platform holders seem to kind of mull about ...

It's a very different medium.

Getting product marketing managers to buy into spending money on a "games" platform isn't an easy sell.

You need big numbers with a big plan to seriously sell them on it.

As I mentioned in the post above, there are also revenue sharing contracts to negotiate with publishers/developers.

Technically implementing these ads isn't the problem, it's getting these issues resolved that is holding back games advertising.

I reckon the first real steps towards this will come from companies sponsoring DLC, long before loading-screen ads and the like. Imagine some brand wanting major recognition in the male gamer demographic. Pay for a Modern Warfare DLC and give it away free, and they'll get excellent recognition. That seems the most direct and obvious opportunity. It's not something that's really being tried though.

At least for the Gears series, this happened twice. For Gears 1, Discovery (lol) sponsored one of the map packs, and for Gears 3, Paramount sponsored the Versus Map pack along with some weapon skins (related to Mission: Impossible marketing).

Here are some games. What sort of advertising could be added in a loading screen (I'd go with static images, not animations as that'll definitely have a negative effect) without being ubtrusive?

Uncharted
Gears
COD
FIFA
Skyrim
Zelda
Mariokart

In some case something like Nickleodeon or Nike would fit in. In other cases I can't see any advert being unoffensive.

I'd have to see demographics data of their consumers but I'd guess:

Uncharted
Footware, Beverage, Auto, History Channel, Discovery

Gears
Alcoholic Beverage, Fitness apparel, Auto, SpikeTV, UFC

COD
Hunting gear, Beverage, Auto - (possibly many more as the audience is large)

FIFA
Footware, Beverage, Auto, Fastfood, Sporting Events - (pretty much any commercial you'd see watching a game on tv)

Skyrim
Beverage, SyFy (cable channel), Snack Foods, Food Delivery - (a tricky one given the content, but one thing is for sure ... long playing session = food delivery + snacks)

Zelda + Mariokart
Sony, Microsoft ;) - (seriously, given the broad nature of these two titles, TV, movie, beverage, fastfood ads would all work)

He's asking how you would design the ad, not the contents of the ad itself.

What sort of {static screen} advertising could be added in a loading screen...

:???:

Speaking of this, I'm not sure why interactive media couldn't be provided in the ad framework instead of static (similar to geometry wars at load screen but with a Dorito chip instead of a space ship :p ).

Also, I'm not convinced that 15 second video commercials wouldn't be acceptable.

Back