Xbox Live ARCADE Games... definitive thread

The mini-golf demo was horrible IMO. Funky unrealistic courses and bad music.

I have too much good music to have to listen to any in game music.

The 3 holes in the demo doesn't do the game justice. While some of the hole's are unrealistic, it has a really good control scheme and the balance is there.

Like I said, it's a no brainer request so far this week in my household as a party game (3+)

I have too much good music to have to listen to any in game music.

The 3 holes in the demo doesn't do the game justice. While some of the hole's are unrealistic, it has a really good control scheme and the balance is there.

Like I said, it's a no brainer request so far this week in my household as a party game (3+)

yea Custom soundtracks save the day.

I enjoyed the demo enough to play it 4 times but not enough to be sold but I like what I'm hearing.

thanks!

Catan is really nice. I've played the boardgame to death, and the computer still poses a nice challenge (althought it's not too difficult to win even on hard). The graphics are nothing special, but are sufficient and the whole interface is very intuitive. If you like boardgames, it's certainly recommendable.
I've also picked up the game (as I enjoyed the boardgame back when), but I certainly wouldn't buy it for for single-player; nevertheless the multi-player is great fun with people you know. I don't think the ranked games make much sense in this game, but then I haven't tried one (and probably never will). The graphics are actually quite nice when you change the skin in the Options menu.

On a related note, I really like the additional diversity and breadth XBLA brings to the gaming experience. I think I have eight or so games so far. It's nice to have some pick up and play games for times when you just want to play some quick fun.
I agree. I think by now XBLA has actually delivered on their original promise of "not just Arcade classics".

list of top 10 Arcade most played on LIVE this past week

Top Arcade Titles (Full Versions)
1 Pinball FX
2 3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
3 Catan
4 TMNT 1989 Arcade
5 Worms
6 Castlevania: SOTN
7 UNO
8 Eets: Chowdown
9 Boom Boom Rocket
10 Centipede & Millipede

Ok, I can get by in Galaga without an arcade stick (I'm not happy about it though)

I think Galaga's faux pas is its itty, bitty playing field. A smaller screen means maneuvering with greater than coin-op precision. :(

But,

Centipede without a rollerball is just wrong

Exactly! The rollerball in the arcade cabinet is like a trackball mouse: precise and proportional. ;) So the onscreen icon moves as slowly or as quickly as you are moving the ball, a prerequisite for a game like this.

UNO just keeps on kicking; I was hoping Carbonated would have had a few more releases by now...

That's what I've been playing alot of. Made some great friends on Live and we play together almost every night. Love video chatting with everybody. Would probably play other games if I had the money to spend. Still have the same games I had when I bought the system(minus the free games that came with the Vision camera).

Tommy McClain

True. But the game goes out of its way to preserve scale, so I'm not entirely convinced that a bigger TV would reign in the difficulty.

IIRC it was easier to get to stage 10 in the coin-op than the XBLA game! :smile:

True. But the game goes out of its way to preserve scale, so I'm not entirely convinced that a bigger TV would reign in the difficulty.

IIRC it was easier to get to stage 10 in the coin-op than the XBLA game! :smile:

well I suck at it anyway :LOL: but my girlfriend was a Pro back in the day so she kicks my butt in it. (nice size on a 50" TV BTW. :smile:)

Anyone know when super puzzle fighter is coming out and whether it will support online play?

I used to love playing the PSOne version so much that it's probably one of the few PSOne games I still play on my PS2 up til today..

This week in Arcade: Double Dragon

400 points will get you ‘Double Dragon’ which will be available this Wednesday on the Xbox Live Arcade.
Some of the the features include:
  • Two-player co-op multiplayer locally or over Xbox LIVE
  • Special extras such as a look at the original Japanese and U.S. "Double Dragon" sales fliers
  • Gameplay with either the original graphics or with new high-definition graphics
  • All new music
  • Hints and tips for newcomers
  • Three leaderboards
    …and more
Double Dragon

Jump in with a buddy in Double Dragon, the classic coin-op side-scroller with all the button-mashing fun you remember from the arcade.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEW arcade titles announced

NEW arcade titles announced

More Exciting Titles Coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade

The Xbox LIVE Arcade library, now 58 games strong and growing, continues to expand and provide every type of gamer with accessible, pick-up-and-play game experiences. An electrifying lineup of racing games, card and board games, and both original and classic action games will be coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade in the future, including the following (not in chronological order of release):

· “Mad Tracks.” This 3-D racing party game from Load Inc. and D3Publisher recalls all the fun of playing with toy cars from childhood. Up to four players can race micro cars in a variety of gameplay modes in familiar settings such as a living room, a restaurant and a toy store.

· “Rush’n Attack.” Also known as “Green Beret,” from Konami Digital Entertainment Inc., this is a faithful next-generation update of this classic coin-op arcade title where the player assumes the role of a special forces agent sent behind enemy lines to infiltrate an enemy military complex and free captured prisoners of war.

· “Soltrio Solitaire.” From Silver Creek Entertainment, this is a collection of 18 different solitaire games, offering co-op and competitive two-player solitaire game modes.

· “Spyglass Board Games.” From Strange Flavour Ltd. and Freeverse, this offers classic versions of the world’s most beloved board games, including chess, checkers, mancala and reversi, as well as the ability to enjoy video chat with friends via the Xbox LIVE Vision camera.

· “Street Trace:NYC.” This is a hover board racing and arena battle game from Gaia Industries Inc. set against the urban wasteland of future New York City. Make your mark on the leaderboards in intense eight-player action over Xbox LIVE, or battle at home through split-screen or single-player tournaments.

· “Undertow.” This is a fast-paced action shooter from Chair Entertainment Group that thrusts players underwater as they battle for control of the oceans, and features a robust single player/co-op campaign and up to 16-player multiplayer action over Xbox LIVE.1

Like all Xbox LIVE Arcade games, the above titles will have a free demo that will allow gamers to try out a game before deciding to buy. More details will be available closer to each title’s launch later this year.

wow looks like xbl boys are on a roll lately. thanks for the info tap-in, let me see what kind of goodies ms has for me this time:

everything about "undertow" look promising, the graphics, the atmoshepre, the crazy multiplayer modes. This one is definitely day one purchase for me.

i say to myself that i should buy "green beret" and "double dragon" just for the nostalgia factor alone(ahh good old c64 days), but then again i've been spending waay to much time and waay too much money on xbla so maybe i'll just restrain myself and skip these (or not :devilish: )

games like "mad tracks" and "street trace" are badly needed in xbla portfolio at the moment so hopefully these games turn out good and bring mario kart/micro machines style fun over xbl.

Bomberman classic recently confirmed for XBLA too. About freakin' time. Also note - Puzzle Quest coming to XBLA in the near future. Life is good for Xbox owners :cool:

Prince of Persia Classic coming to XBLA

Article + Interview

Trailer

Screens

:D

OMG :oops:

I may never leave my couch now... the music alone captivates me in this game.... and the updated smooth look and lighting...:cool:

IGN: Aside from the graphics, what other enhancements were made for 360?

Boiteau: The controls have been largely improved. Battles are a lot more fun than the original game and require the same skill set as the original game.

Of course, we implemented a scoring system to allow players to compare their skills on Xbox Live leaderboards. We also added a ghost feature, allowing you to race against the ghost of your best performance or try to match another player's skill and speed.

Back