Xbox Live ARCADE Games... definitive thread

Ok, I'm gonna get Geometry Wars 2 when it's out in a week, and I already have Puzzle Quest on my Wii (though I might play it more on 360 or DS). What are the essentials I'm missing? Sounds like Rez HD is very popular.

I'm looking for games to fill the gap until September, when the gargantuan list of games I want to play starts coming out.

rez HD does look very nice

geometry wars 2 looks absolutely terrible, theres now a quasi 3d look with some geometry, coupled with absolutely the worse bloom ive seen in a game (yes even worse than oblivion), surely theyve done playtesting.
they should of kept to the same winning formula and just added new gameplay modes + enemies

Just tried the demos for Rez and N+. Neat, but I don't think I want to pay for them. I might buy Puzzle Quest and the expansion or the Penny Arcade game.

Is that Castlevania game new for Live Arcade?

rez HD does look very nice

geometry wars 2 looks absolutely terrible, theres now a quasi 3d look with some geometry, coupled with absolutely the worse bloom ive seen in a game (yes even worse than oblivion), surely theyve done playtesting.
they should of kept to the same winning formula and just added new gameplay modes + enemies
Hands on impressions have said this game is fantastic. I'd hang up your worries until you can try it yourself.

Look in the upscaling thread for some nice Geometry Wars 2 screenshots. The title looks flawless, basically. It may not be all my style (after a while I've seen enough vectors, no matter how pretty the fx) but there is no doubt that the game is clean and pretty.

Ok, I'm gonna get Geometry Wars 2 when it's out in a week, and I already have Puzzle Quest on my Wii (though I might play it more on 360 or DS). What are the essentials I'm missing? Sounds like Rez HD is very popular.

I'm looking for games to fill the gap until September, when the gargantuan list of games I want to play starts coming out.

Uno is an absolute must. I'd get it with the Live Vision camera. Aces of the Galaxy, Assault Heroes 1/2, Carcasonne, Boom Boom Rocket(even plays well with Guitar), Cloning Clyde, Happy Tree Friends False Alarm, Ikaruga, Omega 5, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Schizoid, Switchball, Undertow. I'd also check Metacritics ratings on Live Arcade titles, you might find some other jewels.

Tommy McClain

Cool. Thanks for all the suggestions. SHould be enough to keep me occupied for quite a while.

Might, but maybe not either. :) Different strokes for different folks. So you'll probably won't like all of them. I would set up Live Arcade to automatically download all the trial versions. Yes, there are over 140 titles, but once you've tried a few you'll be able to delete the ones you don't like.

BTW, here's Microsoft's list of the top 10 Live Arcade titles as of today...

1. Golf: Tee It Up!
  2. SOULCALIBUR
  3. UNO
  4. DOOM
  5. Worms
  6. Schizoid
  7. N+
  8. Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
  9. Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3
  10. Coffeetime Crosswords

Tommy McClain

Look in the upscaling thread for some nice Geometry Wars 2 screenshots. The title looks flawless, basically. It may not be all my style (after a while I've seen enough vectors, no matter how pretty the fx) but there is no doubt that the game is clean and pretty.
yes I see I was wrong, the blur is about the same between Geowars1+2, I assumed GW1 looked like the clone I played + for GW2 they had 'turned up' the bloom to 11 to make it stand out more from the original but at the expense of gameplay cause its much harder to distinguish objects.

its a great game no doubt ( the sort of one I enjoy playing ) deserves to sell more than texas holdem,uno etc, look at all the clones of it, (true its very easy to make) but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I'm gonna need some friends to war against geometry with. Send me a pm when the game is out, if you're interested. I'm no superstar at the game, but I think I can war against the geometry fairly well.

I'm gonna need some friends to war against geometry with. Send me a pm when the game is out, if you're interested. I'm no superstar at the game, but I think I can war against the geometry fairly well.

Ummm... gladly, but no online co-op, only local (on the same console). Bummer.

They probably decided this game can't live even with 50-100 ms of latency, can't be a technical reason not to allow online co-op.

Ummm... gladly, but no online co-op, only local (on the same console). Bummer.

They probably decided this game can't live even with 50-100 ms of latency, can't be a technical reason not to allow online co-op.

Really? What a drag. I was sure online co-op was available. Oh well.

Back