• Mobile hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Slim Revision hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • This will be a nothing burger

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • *new* Xbox Games for Mobile Strategy

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • *new* Executive leadership changes (ie: named leaders moves/exits/retires)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You haven't responded to my post at all from what I can see.

I see here that you are giving credit to sony for the IBM cpu inside of the xbox. MS with the gpu makers through DX laid the ground work for all the gpus that Sony has used since the playstation 3. Does this mean that sony has only been able to make consoles because they covertly managed to get deals with AMD to use designs that MS had input on?

MS having control of DX and 49% of OpenAI would of course allow them to know what is coming down the pipe from all graphics manufacturers for many years out. MS already knows the trends and future features of products coming up. Why would they no longer be able to produce and launch a console within 4 years of a previous console and why do you think they can't do it in 5 years or 6 years when they have done it before ? You haven't given any real reasons why MS can't do that.

You also say that the ps5 isn't just a pc. However it is a pc. It's an AMD APU +GDDR + NVME . Why would you think it would take 4 years + for a company to develop a console based on hardware designed by another company and on their road map? The ps5 doesn't have a true custom CPU from AMD. It wasn't ground up made for the ps5. It's just a modded zen2 processor. it's the same with the gpu portion. The major software running on the ps5 is modified PS4 games. Spider-man MM , Spider-man 2 , Horizon 2 , God of war 2 and so on and so forth are all games based on ps4 games with ray tracing added to the engine. The ps5 (and series)) doesn't even do ray tracing well. There was other hardware at the time much better at it and the difference has only grown in these last 4 years. Why would Sony's ps5 strategy which was successful (ie taking ps4 games and added effects and resolution) not be successful for MS? Why wouldn't playing all the current generation games and all the upcoming games at higher resolutions + better textures + more and better ray tracing not be an effective strategy ? do you think gamers in 2025 or 2026 who want to play GTA6 or a new COD or any number of games coming from third parties and MS itself not want to play those games at the highest resolutions, highest texture quality , highest ray tracing , fastest loading , and whatever else is possible on 2025/6 hardware vs 2020 hardware?
Direct X has laid the ground work for all the GPUs that Sony has used since the playstation 3?. Okay, let me leave this convo. I have to add some multithreaded code for a Java project at work. Lets agree to disagree on this.

If you go and read my previous messages you'll find nuances in my responses which respond to your replies. I have covered everything from how Xbox covertly managed to get some of the CPU tech from IBM which codeveloped the Cell processor with Sony, as such the 360 still had an impressive CPU despite not sinking in anywhere near as much in R&D costs. I have covered alot of nuances which were echoed by Cerny in his recent interview. I think we just disagree fundamentally on this. Which is actually okay. You think some of my takes are silly and I think yours lack context, nuance and are not entirely grounded in the realities of developing software & hw especially for consoles.

"covertly"? You mean as "covertly" as Nintendo using a 32bit Power G3 variant in their gamecube or MS/Sony using similar AMD GPU for the last 2 generations:)

There was nothing really "covert" or special about the actual CPU part both the 360 and PS3 used. It's all coming from previous IBM and Motorola PowerPC designs just stripped down to different designs.

What you could actually argue here that 360 and PS3 wouldn't have been "realistic" without AIM's previous design work in the original PowerPC *and* especially VMX *8* years before.

Back