xbox 360 specs (unofficial, but believable)

Titanio said:
Jaws said:
Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache

No FPU in addition to VMX? If so,

1 core ~ 8 Flops per cycle
3 cores ~ 24 Flops per cycle

@ 3.2 GHz, tri-core ~ 24 * 3.2 GHz ~ 76.8 GFlops

Would they mention the FPU in the released specs, or just take it as given?

It's likely to have one but because it's a custom chip, it's difficult to say, though if it was present, I would've thought they'd mention it to boost flops. In this case it would boost it to 96 GFlops assuming FMADD.

therealskywolf said:
Anyway guys, are those specs like......Good enough for next gen? Do they this years high end pcs or something like that?
The processor's faster than any PC processor, streamlined for games. The graphics card is better than anything available at the mo'. And all for a few hundred bucks.
To a lot of people, this isn't 'good enough' for next-gen. They're wanting a generation beyond what we have now in top end expensive PCs. Me, I see this as definitely a generation up from current-gen consoles.

therealskywolf said:
jvd said:
The gpu clock speed , edram amount , hardrive size and bandwidth from main ram is wrong

In what way? Their worse or better? I've heard the edram ammount would be bigger and the hardrive at least 40gb. The gpu clock speed also sounds kinda low, arent last year gpus already around that?

A GPU with eDRAM is different from one without. Getting a high clock speed with GPU including eDRAM is difficult. Also heat is a major concern because it will cause the eDRAM to fail.

Question.

ASSUMING that the whole think about two different versions of the 360 atlaunch are true, and that the one with a hard drive would have the same hard drive as the add-on, is there any reason to believe that Microsoft might not have just gone and taken the hard drive down to 20 gigs vs 40 gigs? I mean, for the price difference it seems like, just go for the 40 gigs - but really 40's pretty small when you think about it also.

What are you putting on the harddrive for 40 GBs to be small? I've a 40gig HD in my PC. With OS, programs, backups, data (LOTS of rednundant data as I don't clean up in case of losing something important!), I've some 20 Gb free. Short of lots of MP3s I can't see any use for multigigabyte HDs in a console, unless you have to go through the rigmarole of installing games to HD to play them.

Shifty Geezer said:
He he. You can get billed in micro transactions whenever on Silver, but don't get to play any games!

Microtransactions can be used offline. e.g. if you buy a new car for a game, or new map, it does not necessarily require that you play it online. You DL it and play it.

I think Silver is online content and part-time, limited edition gaming. Not every game will be available over the weekend to Silver subscribers. Mostly it's for updating games and buying content and not for online gaming though.

Where did you hear that it will only be certain games on certain weekends? While that may be possible I am not reading that in the post. Actually it seems to indicate Silver members get to play Online during the weekends--no mention of what that entails. You are interjecting a lot of ideas not found in the original post.

If you want to play other people, you really want the Gold option.

Not necessarily. A lot of people work/go to school during the week and weekends are their time to relax and to play games. It all depends on your schedule and what you have time for. The silver option will be a great bonus and should have been available in the current Live model imo.

'Free XBox Live! Weekends' could be some weekends, or all weekends.

Again, while possible, the post never says that. You seem to be interjecting a lot of negative thoughts before we even get the full scoop or even affirming this is legit. Why the "what if" negativity???

Well I see where you're coming from - but I've got a 160GB hard drive so I guess it's just a different angle. To me, the cost differential between a 20GB and a 40GB hard drive is small enough, even in the 2.5" space, that they could have gone with the 40. My honest guess is for anti-piracy reasons, as it will be large enough for it's intended caching and MP3 stuff, but too small for dedicated pirates to use.

I guess I was just looking to see if there was something else I was missing though that might explain 20GB vs any other gig amount.

Shifty Geezer said:
What are you putting on the harddrive for 40 GBs to be small? I've a 40gig HD in my PC. With OS, programs, backups, data (LOTS of rednundant data as I don't clean up in case of losing something important!), I've some 20 Gb free. Short of lots of MP3s I can't see any use for multigigabyte HDs in a console, unless you have to go through the rigmarole of installing games to HD to play them.

Gates already announced that the Xbox 360 will have a lot media features (like plahing music). HTPC functions can take up a lot of space like

1. Music (there is a reason some people have 40GB iPods... not me of course!)
2. Recording TV

I can see both of these features eating up the space on a 40GB very quickly. 40GB is more than I would ever need, but I am sure some people were hoping for a TiVo like HTPC/All-in-One device.

McFly said:
You can't play regular online games with the silver package, just the special weekends and other silver specials. That's how I get it.

Fredi

Hmm, so what the is the silver package if you can't play regular games? No mortal kombat, gotham racing, gta online? I think only MMOGs should charge, or some really premium non-game related service. Or I'd rather it be in microtransactions.

Speng.

Acert93 said:
I can see both of these features eating up the space on a 40GB very quickly. 40GB is more than I would ever need, but I am sure some people were hoping for a TiVo like HTPC/All-in-One device.
I wouldn't have thought 40 Gb would cut it for TV use. I'd have thought a media function like that would see a big HD, especially if the pictures are HD. As room for downloadable content a big HD would be essential thought, especially if you can't transfer that content onto other platforms (like some DRM'd content at the mo')

Regards 'negativity' that's just how I read it. It was unclear whether the weekend things was every weekend or only special Live! weekends. I guess I'm a little skeptical because I imagine MS WANTS people to subscribe instead of sponging off their services for free ;) You offer limited tasters to get people interested into paying for the service.

As a question, how many here who play online games play on the weekend, and how many play weekday evenings? Just to see how much people would be affected by weekend-only gaming and if the silver option would be enough for most people.

jvd said:
The gpu clock speed , edram amount , hardrive size and bandwidth from main ram is wrong
Hey, you can't just say that and run. Give us all the real numbers. 8)

---
Audio
- Mulitchannel surround sond output
- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
- 320 independent decompression channels
- 32 bit processing
- 256+ audio channels
Graphics gets all the love on this forum (of course), but I gotta say the audio system is going to be sweet.

Jaws said:
barnak said:
Sorry I havnet been keeping up with the specs as much as I like, so MS went ahead and went for the 512 ram?

If this spec is true then yes, 512MB is good.

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

700 MHz DDR (1400 MHz effective)

22.4 GB/s --> 128 bit bus

I was hoping it would be 256 bit ---> 44.8 GB/s :(
128 bit bus enables them to reduce 512Mbit chips * 8 to 1Gbit chips * 4 when cheaper 1Gbit chips get available a few years later. Then they can retool the motherboard more simpler, and cheaper.

BTW, 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM means it uses 4096bit bus running at 500Mhz if the GPU is a single chip.

Well, as finally seems that there won´t be PPU the thing is easy for Sony and even Revolution ( which will have it ) to crush Microsoft... it is enough with a demo moving some hairs... and voilá! dreamcast 2...

Love_In_Rio said:
Well, as finally seems that there won´t be PPU the thing is easy for Sony and even Revolution ( which will have it ) to crush Microsoft... it is enough with a demo moving some hairs... and voilá! dreamcast 2...

hmm its a little early to say that but we'll see. Microsoft did run in pretty fast and they could regret it in the end but lets wait. Maybe thats why Sony is all hyped up about e3.

I remember the screenshots of shenmue in dreamcast before PS2 was taped out and everybody was impressed. And it was enough showing the face of an elder with 200000 polys to make everybody forget inmediately my dear dreamcast. This time everything seems the same, but with one big difference, the phisics difference seen in the videos will be much bigger than the poly count in the previous generation.

Yea... because we all love to crown a particular system king before we even know what the machine is or what the specifications of that machine will be. You got to love the internet...

:rolleyes:

The GameMaster...

Back