xbox 360 specs (unofficial, but believable)

My main point being, this trend is more than likely to continue IF PS3 offers the most graphical prowess, and even if graphical prowess isn't much different from XB360 and Rev, such varied artstyles haven't appeared on MS's and Ninty's machines to date (from what I've seen) so I'd still expect PS3 to be showing more arty creations.
if ms launches first and has a year launch window in the usa and is able to get a very strong user base then you will see alot of devs jump ship .

The x360 has alot of good support and tools for developers its also launching here in america first .

Sony is only launching 6 months later. So I highly doubt that they will launch with anything more than a 50% increase in performance at the most and even that is pushing it .

As i've said before the launches are so close together that the games wont look diffrent or will look so close it doesn't matter .

You yourself have pointed this out from last gen. The ps2 had the weakest system and it has some of the best looking games . The reason why is that it had a larger user base and devs pushed the evenlope further

Shifty Geezer said:
My main point being, this trend is more than likely to continue IF PS3 offers the most graphical prowess, and even if graphical prowess isn't much different from XB360 and Rev, such varied artstyles haven't appeared on MS's and Ninty's machines to date (from what I've seen) so I'd still expect PS3 to be showing more arty creations.

I think the reason the PS2 has more variety is twofold:

1. The Genre you are most interested in, RPGs, is one of the genres Sony kicks major behind in. They have more games, and better games, in this genre on average. Always exceptions (e.g. Jade Empire is really good).

2. Sony has more 3rd party support, meaning more games, more variety, and more styles to feed different tastes. This is Sony's biggest strength.

But there are reverses on each. First is that the Xbox has more/better shooters. Nintendo has a larger variety of colorful games. Overall Sony has a MASSIVE edge in overall game variety, but there are genres where their competitors do well, if not better, in art direction.

Again, very subjective to taste. Obviously as an RPG player a PC/PS2 was the best pick for you this generation, no questioned asked.

But you do mention the PS3 giving an edge in graphics again... the PS2 did not hold people back this gen. If Sony can keep a stranglehold on 3rd party support then yes I think this will continue to be true. But I do see MS making moves here. Xenon may be easier, and thus cheaper, to develop for. This would impact a lot of small-to-medium sized developers. If MS substantially cut licensing fees as rumored then they could even get MORE support. MS has been very evangalistic to developers, so as their support grows so will their variety in art direction. In this regards fancier, more powerful CPUs wont help. A system that allows developers to spend more time making games, making content, and developing worlds will.

Whatever console does that best while getting the most support will have the best variety in art direction. I would tend to agree with you that the PS3 is primed to win out in this area again, but MS is making noise. Good competition is good for all of us.

Just off the top of my head, Zelda WW was a one-up for Nintendo. There was a definite style. More of this variety is what I'm looking for (even though I might well never buy the games!)

See, that is the trick right there. You loved it. Unfortunately that style turned a LOT of people off. Style is important, it is like a fancy dinner. But sometimes we just want that burnt hunk of beef. WW was like the odd French gourmet food that looks like an alien on your plate. Nice variety, but some people just hate it.

WW was a great game. But I think the new Zelda will outsell it 2:1 on style alone. People WANT the grittier Zelda, even if it has already been done. People want their favorite franchise the way they see it in their head... not many of us imagined Link as a flat cartoon (that is more Mario country).

Just one thing, we should add to those equations (at least in XB2 and REV) the general porpose skils of gfx cards, in the case of XB it should be better than anything before.

Back