Xbox 360 screws up Walmart's wireless devices

Thanks Pipo! I must have missed that one. Maybe the wireless headset is coming out with the camera? :)

Tommy McClain

Why would someone need a wireless headset when it can plug into the controller? What added level of freedom is 'gained' by haveing a iwreless headset AND a wireless controller? Only way i see it is that you have to now charge the wireless headset as well...

The Xbox 360 at one of the Wal-Marts I go to is definitely not using a wireless controller.
My friends who work there opened the case and let me take a look at everything.

The controller was plugged into the rear USB port.

expletive said:
Why would someone need a wireless headset when it can plug into the controller? What added level of freedom is 'gained' by haveing a iwreless headset AND a wireless controller? Only way i see it is that you have to now charge the wireless headset as well...
I can imagine people forgetting the headsets connected to the controller, putting down the control for a break to get a coffee say, and standing up with the headset still on. Not much though.

Shifty Geezer said:
I can imagine people forgetting the headsets connected to the controller, putting down the control for a break to get a coffee say, and standing up with the headset still on. Not much though.

Yep. Considering the logitech wireless headset costs $80, i would be afraid of what an MS one could cost.

expletive said:

Ask that to all the people who are buying all the Bluetooth headsets for cell phones.

Personally, I don't want the extra wire hanging down. Could lead to wire breaks. BTW, there are those things called batteries. No need for charging if that's not your thing. If done right, I could see them costing the same if not cheaper than Bluetooth wireless headsets($30 or less).

Anyway, I hate to bring the PS3 into this, but you know they're going to be touting the Bluetooth wireless headset as a feature. By then Microsoft will most likely have something to compete with it.

Tommy McClain

AzBat said:
Ask that to all the people who are buying all the Bluetooth headsets for cell phones.

Personally, I don't want the extra wire hanging down. Could lead to wire breaks. BTW, there are those things called batteries. No need for charging if that's not your thing. If done right, I could see them costing the same if not cheaper than Bluetooth wireless headsets($30 or less).

Anyway, I hate to bring the PS3 into this, but you know they're going to be touting the Bluetooth wireless headset as a feature. By then Microsoft will most likely have something to compete with it.

Tommy McClain

Thing is, a bluetooth headset makes actually holding the cellphone superfluous which is more convenient. With a wireless headset here it doesnt matter becuase you still need to hold the controller, it doesnt change anything.

Didnt really follow your point about the batteries.

I think the wired headset costs $20. I'll be the most surprised guy in the room if the wireless one isnt at least $40(dont forget your wireless headset play-n-charge kit! :) ).

Are you sure about a bluetooth wireless headset for PS3? My understanding was that the PS3 can only support 7 bluetooth devices total(which is why the spec says support for 7 controllers). Which would mean that if youve got 4 controllers, only 3 headsets (The PS3 itself is device number 8). They also admitted that having 2 PS3 in close proximity could cause problems.

True, but how many people using a headset are going to have multiple people in the same room with a headset? Aren't headsets for online gaming, which generally means one person per computer/console, rather than split/shared screen?

Wi-Fi

pipo said:
The problem might also be Wal-Mart's scanners in the first place... Old models? Bad shielding?

Edit - could be (from the Joystiq link)...

I have asked wal-mart about this and they said PSP has wireless but did not cause interference so must be something specific about Xbox360. Also display case is setup by Microsoft representative not walmart workers.

Shifty Geezer said:
True, but how many people using a headset are going to have multiple people in the same room with a headset? Aren't headsets for online gaming, which generally means one person per computer/console, rather than split/shared screen?

currently, on Xbox Live, only the main account holder can use a headset in mulitplayer games when playing split screen. (so, one headset)

the guests are limited (purposely?) in this regard.

I wonder if it will remain the same in 360 Live?

Also, on toipic...

I went to one of my Wal-Marts yesterday to see what all the hub-bub was ;)

beautiful Samsung 720P screen saying...

Component Input 1, NO signal.

The X360 was unplugged from the power supply and anyone I asked regarding if/when it would be up thought I was speaking French. :)

Shifty Geezer said:
The inclusion of 802.11a is for use with Wireless networking and MCE data sharing. How many people with a wireless network use 802.11a? So as I understand it this is only really of use for people streaming content from an MCE PC, which is very few. And for the added cost over a basic 802.11b/g wifi adapter I don't think it's worth. Better to provide a 802.11b/g adapter for $30-40 for those that only want this for connecting to the internet and don't care to stream cotent over 802.11a Wifi.

Umm, everyone who has MCE, or Windows Vista.

Very few? Maybe now, in 2 years...I don't think so.

Although, I do agree with you that they should've offered the cheaper b/g adapted as an option. I can only think they did this to avoid confusion with the consumer, with what is already a very complicated console, with it's 20+ accessories or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to my local wal mart today and they had it there some people were playing Kameo... looked much smaller than what I expected after seeing the pictures, the controller felt nice in my hands. and the game looked beautiful.. maybe it did not have AA or whatever.. but most people are not going to care... anyone that can't see the quality jump in graphics is either blind or a snob.

scooby_dooby said:
Umm, everyone who has MCE, or Windows Vista.

Very few? Maybe now, in 2 years...I don't think so.

Although, I do agree with you that they should've offered the cheaper b/g adapted as an option. I can only think they did this to avoid confusion with the consumer, with what is already a very complicated console, with it's 20+ accessories or whatever.

I remember reading that something like half of Windows PCs sold last month had Win MCE on them. Seems like its becoming the standard.

expletive said:
Thing is, a bluetooth headset makes actually holding the cellphone superfluous which is more convenient. With a wireless headset here it doesnt matter becuase you still need to hold the controller, it doesnt change anything.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree that it doesn't change ANYTHING. Who says you're always using the controller why chatting? You could just be having a chatting session and not playing online. Could be watching a DVD and you hit the Xbox Guide button on the DVD remote to receive a call from a friend. There's a lot of times you don't want to have to pick up the controller and fumble with the wiring just to use the headset.

expletive said:
Didnt really follow your point about the batteries.

You talked about having another device to charge. No need to charge if it uses standard batteries.

expletive said:
I think the wired headset costs $20. I'll be the most surprised guy in the room if the wireless one isnt at least $40(dont forget your wireless headset play-n-charge kit! :) ).

$40 sounds fine, but anything over $50 probably would never sell. I also doubt the wireless headset would offer a wired connection just because the battery is low.

expletive said:
Are you sure about a bluetooth wireless headset for PS3? My understanding was that the PS3 can only support 7 bluetooth devices total(which is why the spec says support for 7 controllers). Which would mean that if youve got 4 controllers, only 3 headsets (The PS3 itself is device number 8). They also admitted that having 2 PS3 in close proximity could cause problems.

I was under the impression it was just a set limit for the controllers and not a limit on the ammount of Bluetooth devices. If they're not offering wireless headsets for each controller that seems like a big oversight to me. I know a lot pf people will play 4-player splitscreen with Xbox Live each with their own Live account. That would allow each player to have their own headset. Would suck to be the odd man out playing online with a PS3. The proximity issue sucks too. Seems like Microsoft was smart to go with a proprietary technology if all these limitations are due to Bluetooth.

Tommy McClain

expletive said:

While true if you are holding the controller, you are forgetting that you can control most of the 360 by Remote Control as well, so I could see someone more willing to pick up the remote with a wireless headset than wanting to pickup the controller and pluggin in their wired set. That way you could answer your phone call with the media remote and then just throw it back on the couch, in essence making it a hands-free scenario (after a couple hands-on steps)

Also, according to Major Nelsons blog/podcast Monday, one of the issues with the pods is that they don't have their final software. So some of the issues people have seen with the kiosks should, hopefully, be fixed whenever those changes occur.

It was also mentioned not only on his xxxcast but also on Channel9 that MSFT intentionally went with 802.11a for HD streaming because of the 5Ghz range and lack of noise within that range and for its greater sustained throughput.

AzBat said:
I was under the impression it was just a set limit for the controllers and not a limit on the ammount of Bluetooth devices. If they're not offering wireless headsets for each controller that seems like a big oversight to me. I know a lot pf people will play 4-player splitscreen with Xbox Live each with their own Live account. That would allow each player to have their own headset. Would suck to be the odd man out playing online with a PS3. The proximity issue sucks too. Seems like Microsoft was smart to go with a proprietary technology if all these limitations are due to Bluetooth.

Tommy McClain

Communication & Connection

A Bluetooth device playing the role of the "master" can communicate with up to 7 devices playing the role of the "slave". This network of "group of up to 8 devices" (1 master + 7 slaves) is called piconet.
At any given time, data can be transferred between the master and 1 slave; but the master switches rapidly from slave to slave in a round-robin fashion. (Simultaneous transmission from the master to multiple slaves is possible, but not used much in practice). Either device may switch the master/slave role at any time.
Bluetooth specification allows connecting 2 or more piconets together to form a scatternet, with some devices acting as a bridge by simultaneously playing the master role in one piconet and the slave role in another piconet. These devices have yet to come, though are supposed to appear within the next 2 years (2007).

more info can be obtained HERE

Back