Xbox 360 screws up Walmart's wireless devices

It's been suggested elsewhere that the Samsung displays in the demo pods could be creating the interference, but I'm not sure how plausible that is..?

pipo said:
Read point 4. :)

There's also USB on the back of the unit.
Point four of what? :???: Best I could find regards XB360's wired controller support was wired controllers attach to the units USB ports, of which there's 2 at the front and 1 at the back. So unless both controllers attach through a USB splitter, which might be done for aesthetics, wouldn't 2 wired controllers be attached through the 2 USB ports on the front?

Can the Walmart employees sue Microsoft if they get cancer and they think it's because of the radiating xbox360's?

Shifty Geezer said:
Point four of what?

Of that link I posted. I think they want to create the feeling of wireless, but since the controllers have to be wired (power) why would they opt for anything else but the default wired ones?

maybe the subliminal messages walmart is transmitting to make consumers inside the store to buy more stuff is getting mixed with the subliminal messages the X360 kiosks is transmitting so people will buy the system...

then UFOs will come and bring their anal probes while leprechauns are being chased around by little kids because their "lucky charms" are so damn good...

then bigfoot apears demanding his money back coz the razor he bought from walmart is defective...

it could also be a crazy off-the-wall rumor from god knows where...

or an ill, viral marketing campaign against the X360 launch coming from it's direct competitors...

or...

... maybe it's just a coincidence due to those archaic walmart devices breaking down from the wear and tear of usage, just in time for those X360 kiosks to apear in the store...

p.s.
i'm a little drunk so if i misspelled something or if i don't make sense... don't bother pointing it out...

X360 uses WiFi, 802.11b abd probably 802.11g too.

Both 11b and 11g works on 2.4GHz.

There are 11 channels available, and you can use 3 of them (1,6 and 11) and the same time, in the same air space, with NO interference.

PSP uses 802.11b , works exactly like that.

Also, I´m SURE you can turn off the radio when you are not using it... so anyone just set the X360 correctly (correct channel), and people should have no problem at ALL.

pipo said:
Of that link I posted. I think they want to create the feeling of wireless, but since the controllers have to be wired (power) why would they opt for anything else but the default wired ones?
Can anyone who's seen one of these things confirm an apparent USB controller cable in the back? There ought to be 2 cables, power and TV, if the controllers are wireless, and 3 if the controllers are joined in the back, no?

Helstar said:
X360 uses WiFi, 802.11b abd probably 802.11g too.
Blah. You need to buy the hundred dollar ripoff wireless USB device to get wifi for x360. The controllers use a proprietary protocol (on the same frequency band I assume), and I expect the controller transciever in the base unit to be ALWAYS active, because how else would the console know you were trying to play with it if all you had was a wireless controller?

Though it will affect the general public if no-one shows XB360 kiosks because they scramble the services a store relies upon to operate :p

I agree, it sounds like it's the 360's wireless controller signal (whether there are wireless controllers present or not) that is causing the interference. As others have pointed out, the 360's in the Wal-Mart's likely don't even have their Wi-Fi enabled at this point, since why would Wal-Mart outfit them with the add-on?

With the 360 being as hot of an item as it is, it stands to reason that so many Wal-Mart's wouldn't be shutting down their kiosks unless they truly had cause to feel that the issues were emanating from those same kiosks.

And silly me, I would have thought MS would use a core 360 in the kiosks. That would have given them the wired controller and no problems. Of course that is also the easiest solution, just replace the controllers with wired ones.

Powderkeg said:
And silly me, I would have thought MS would use a core 360 in the kiosks. That would have given them the wired controller and no problems. Of course that is also the easiest solution, just replace the controllers with wired ones.

Powederkeg you're not getting it. The core console *still* sends out the wireless signal. The fact that wireless controllers aren't present has nothing to do with it. The core console works with wireless controllers you know. It just ships with a wired one.

This isn't even confirmed to be true. That website says it warrants futher investigation and they come to that conclusion based off of some forum posts.

Brimstone said:
This isn't even confirmed to be true. That website says it warrants futher investigation and they come to that conclusion based off of some forum posts.

Well, someone call one of these Wal-Marts and confirm! Man, let's not get too stuck on receiving information through the Internet. ;)

It's like the New Orleans levee break thing - everyone saying they broke one day when actually they broke the night before. How can these things not be known or corroborated?

pipo said:
802.11a, b and g are confirmed.

11a operates at 5.2 ghz from 1-54 Mbps

11b operates using DSSS @ 2.4 ghz from 1-11Mbps

11g operates using OFDM @ 2.4 Ghz from 1-54Mbps

If what you say is true pipo (that .11a is standard in x360) then they could switch all x360s nationwide to that protocol and end their problems immediately. If not use .11b on channel 11 (the least used channel of that spectrum).

Back