Xbox 2 to sport wireless controllers as standard

Kesler

Newcomer
Microsoft's next-generation home console has been designed to use wireless controllers by default, according to online reports which have been confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz this morning by developers working on titles for the system.

British technology news site The Inquirer reported yesterday that the new console will sport controllers very similar to the current Controller S design, but using wireless rather than wired connections to the console.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz this morning, developers working with prototype Xbox 2 hardware confirmed that while they have not seen final designs for the controller, Microsoft representatives have indicated that the pads will indeed be wireless.

A number of questions are raised by the decision to use wireless peripherals - most obvious being whether the pads will continue to support battery-draining rumble functions, and if they will be rechargeable or simply rely on replaceable AA batteries.

Microsoft will be the first console manufacturer to ship wireless pads as standard with its hardware, but not the first to ship an official wireless controller; Nintendo has already enjoyed significant success with the WaveBird, its wireless pad for the GameCube.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6879

Good but bad. I've assumed this is a step next gen's consoles might take, but it's bad if it adds too much extra bulk, doesn't give recharging options, or causes too much interference... (Many wireless objects proliferating nowadays.)

They damn well better have USB plugs at the very least that would allow for corded controllers if preferred, as well as other expansion possibilities. Frankly I'll be annoyed if ANY of the consoles ignore USB next generation. That, at least, is one easy direction we should go for convergence...

I think they could have a li ion battery pack that can be recharged while the controller is plugged into the Xenon console via a detachable USB cable. This way you can even recharge the controllers through your PC and use them on your PC too. At least that's what I'm hoping for from Revolution.

Defiantely, the wirelessness should never come at the price of gameplay. Nothing at all should. One can't just stop playing cause thier controller needs recharging.
But i'm sure they'll think about this :?

PC-Engine said:
I think they could have a li ion battery pack that can be recharged while the controller is plugged into the Xenon console via a detachable USB cable. This way you can even recharge the controllers through your PC and use them on your PC too. At least that's what I'm hoping for from Revolution.

I would like that, but they would probley make the end of the cord some crazy shape so it won't fit into a computer. But I like the idea of recharging from xbox2 with a cord. If the controllers sell for $30, maybe they could have some $15 official ones that aren't wireless but still just as nice.

I would prefer controls with long cords,, but with that money aplied in other things like microphones or cameras ...

This is great news IMO.

The Wavebird is an AWESOME controller. The batteries really do last quite a while. And not having to deal with cords when playing (e.g. having to sit close) or when cleanup (4 controllers and cords is a mess) is good. As for battery time in general, the Pelican PS2 cordless controller lasts 300hrs.

With 300hrs you are not going to interupt many games with changing batteries. With an average of 4hrs of gameplay a day, that is 75 days between battery changes. Being bothered every 2.5months to change batteries is not too much of a distraction ;)

Todd Bishop said:
Dean Lester, general manager for Windows graphics and gaming technologies, said future controllers will connect to the Xbox through a USB port, so that they also can be used on Windows PCs.

- Todd Bishop, Reporter, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
May 14, 2004 - SeattlePI.com
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/173101_e3side13.html

Personally, I've always assumed Microsoft would provide wireless controllers by default but also provide connectors for third party wired controllers and peripherals. Hopefully Microsoft allows the wireless controllers to be connected to the USB ports so they be used while charging. I'm also hoping this connector could be used for a memory card too. If not, memory cards may have to be connected directly to the console.

Tommy McClain

PC-Engine said:

as I being very wierd case what comes to consoles, (only console that I have been close to buy was GameCube, which was only prevented my old promise not to buy any Nintendo Equipment, until Nintendo apologies destroying Giana Sisters -game. ;) ) I still have some ideas...

Why not designing the console box so that you can plug the controllers to dock station and they will be re-charged automatically while you are not playing. Using li-ion technology, with logical place on top of the console for non-used controllers, it would make wireless controllers work as well as the nowadays wired ones work. Also, when there's place for contoller on the box, the system is easier carry, whenever you want to go lan gaming. (the controllers are always with the box. no worrying forgetting them to your place.)

but, as said... I am long time PC / home computer player. not console freak, so I might be just hallocigenic here... ;)

That would dictate too much the casing desing, and very likely make it unnecessarily bulky if there were at least two docks for controllers and if the docks would also act as holders while carrying the console around.

People getting ready to complain should relax. The Wavebird showed us wireless done right. Retarded button layout aside, the controller is light, with minimal impact on ergonomics (I actually like the feel better than the stock GC pad). The battery life is incredible on AAA's (I've replaced the batteries only once in the last year), and there's no noticeable lag or loss of precision in the controls. The only downside is the lack of rumble.

But if the Xenon has wireless standard, then I'd assume MS is smart enough to make them rechargeable. It's such an easy concept. You can make it a regular wired controller, with the option to detach the cable. That way, the controller cable can act as a power source to recharge a built-in NiMH/LiPo battery, and the transmitter will be shut off. But when the cable is unplugged, the controller is now wireless. This way, you can enable the rumble feature, b/c even a crummy battery will support 20+ hours of gameplay, even with rumbles. And if that's not long enough, the person can just get a friggin life. :LOL:

Seriously, this would be awesome if true. It will also put pressure on Sony and Nintendo to follow suit. It might, however, mean the start of high-priced controllers. Since they won't be able to bilk people for extra money for wireless pads as accessories, they'll have to just charge us through the nose. But this could be very good news. PEACE.

MechanizedDeath said:
But if the Xenon has wireless standard, then I'd assume MS is smart enough to make them rechargeable. It's such an easy concept. You can make it a regular wired controller, with the option to detach the cable. That way, the controller cable can act as a power source to recharge a built-in NiMH/LiPo battery, and the transmitter will be shut off. But when the cable is unplugged, the controller is now wireless. This way, you can enable the rumble feature, b/c even a crummy battery will support 20+ hours of gameplay, even with rumbles. And if that's not long enough, the person can just get a friggin life. :LOL:

Pretty much how I'd like to see it work. Here's hoping, because controller wires get on my bloody nerves since they're never quite long enough.

Wireless controllers are fine.

But wireless networking would be more essential.

Even with wireless controllers, you'd probably need a corded connection for headsets?

Evil_Cloud said:
I'd rather stick with the input superior high-speed wires...

Me 2. I dont plan to run around with the controller and I`m over the age where I could accidently strangulate myself with a wire.

Evil_Cloud said:
I'd rather stick with the input superior high-speed wires...
Inputs are controlled in software. It doesn't really matter how fast the hardware reads. That said, the Wavebird is evidence enough that you can get a high level of precision from a wireless controller, and still have great battery life. If they make a wireless controller that's rechargeable, they can go all out with a 900MHz or Bluetooth transmitter. And I seriously doubt there'll be any loss in precision at such high frequencies. No game samples inputs at that rate.

As someone else mentioned, wireless networking built-in is almost a must. This will allow us to freely position the console anywhere in a house and still maintain connectivity. But even if they make this an additional feature through a USB device or something, that'll still be fine. But my next system will not have a wire running to it...if I can help it. PEACE.

MechanizedDeath said:
People getting ready to complain should relax. The Wavebird showed us wireless done right. Retarded button layout aside, the controller is light, with minimal impact on ergonomics (I actually like the feel better than the stock GC pad). The battery life is incredible on AAA's (I've replaced the batteries only once in the last year), and there's no noticeable lag or loss of precision in the controls. The only downside is the lack of rumble..

Controller uses AA batteries and lasts about 100 hours on a charge for me (AA recharagable lithium cells)

Kesler said:
British technology news site The Inquirer reported yesterday that the new console will sport controllers very similar to the current Controller S design, but using wireless rather than wired connections to the console.
:?

I was hoping they'd go with a better design and a decent button layout this time. I guess there's already plenty of room even in the S for a battery pack though so at least it shouldn't get any bigger.

YeuEmMaiMai said:
MechanizedDeath said:
People getting ready to complain should relax. The Wavebird showed us wireless done right. Retarded button layout aside, the controller is light, with minimal impact on ergonomics (I actually like the feel better than the stock GC pad). The battery life is incredible on AAA's (I've replaced the batteries only once in the last year), and there's no noticeable lag or loss of precision in the controls. The only downside is the lack of rumble..

Controller uses AA batteries and lasts about 100 hours on a charge for me (AA recharagable lithium cells)

My Wavebird lasts ~100hrs of gameplay also. It has no lag and personally I prefer the balance to the Wavebird to the normal GCN controllers. And most of all--no cord mess when putting it away, and no hassel of mixing cords up or not enough cord distance when playing. A *good* wireless controller is a really plus.

Back