Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 [Console and PC]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. milk

Veteran Regular

My ideal controller accepts standard AA batteries rechargeable or not, and if I plug the controller to power with bateries on it, they are recharged at whatever spec rechargeable AA bateries are supposed to, with a switch for turbo-recharge meant for the included ones that are garanteed to handle it which I can still use with batteries from a different brand if I know what I'm doing.

#41 milk, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  2. Davros

Legend

The new xbox gamepad (the elite) $180 wtf...

3. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

I just bought the £19.99 enhanced wired controller. That's almost exactly the same thing isn't it? ;-)

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

The old Elite was $150, but often had deals to save a bit. It's amazingly better build quality than standard wireless controllers which are $60 to $70. At a cost of $120 to $130 its a solid deal since it will easily last twice as long as the other controllers.

I dont know if the Elite 2 will last three times as long to justify the $180 price, maybe they figure since it has a built in play-and-charge kit that's where the $30 increase comes from.

I'm waiting for the Elite 2 Version 2 with user replaceable battery and a $140 price range. We'll see what Holiday 2021 brings.

5. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Considering how expensive other add-on controllers are (like 200+ bucks for a fightstick, even though a Sanwa stick + buttons is like 40 bucks), 150+ dollars for such a complex beast isn't really that shocking.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

However, considering the price of a console to use such a controller with, it's utterly preposterous! You can get an S All Digital from the MS store right now for $200. The controller, with far less components, is priced nearly as high. I know that's free market economics, supply and demand, charge what they'll pay, yada yada, but it's still bloody ridiculous. ;)

And fightsticks are even more bloody ridiculous.

milk likes this.
  7. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

You need to look at it longer term, once you factor in having to replace the standard controller in 2 to 3 years depending on play styles, but not the Elite, the price is not as bad.

8. dobwal

Veteran

Who knows? Consumer electronics tend to kill batteries faster because consumers tend to favor longer use times over longevity. Therefore, CEs tend to have access to their batteries' full capacity (100%-0%). But fully charging a battery and then completely depleting it on a consistent basis is the fastest way to kill a battery's capacity.

Microsoft may be doing something like whats done with EVs (tend to have 8-year warranties) which use over provisioning and keeps battery capacity between ~80% and 25%.

#48 dobwal, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. dobwal

Veteran

Im pretty sure MS could sell us the Elite controllers for much less if they could convince us to buy subscription based services and a ton of accessories just for a controller. Console and controllers don't share the same revenue and profit model.

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Apple does that but their batteries still deteriorate significantly after about 3 years or so. I have no hopes of the Elite 2 holding over 80% of its charge after 3 years or so even with that sort of battery protection.

Regards,
    SB

egoless and BRiT like this.
  11. dobwal

Veteran

Can you point me in the direction where that is pointed out? I know Apple throttle performances as the battery degrades but I haven’t seen where they over provision capacity to extend battery life. EV tech use a method/model similar to how manufacturers extend the life of NAND memory. You get more than stated and are gradually given more to combat degradation.

75%-25% gives you access to only half the true capacity of the battery. As the battery degrades the battery will charge above the 75% limit and/or discharge below the 25% to maintain capacity. Theoretically before you even notice battery degradation in terms of capacity you have to burn through more than half the battery.

Regardless, Apple’s aim isn’t to maintain battery life for years. Apple’s aim is to have you routinely replace your phone after a few years so I hardly doubt apple is investing in bigger batteries and management schemes that .allows an iPhone battery to operate as if new for years into the future.

milk likes this.
  12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I must have gotten it conflated with another phone maker that started doing it with their phone years ago.

It seems that it's coming to iOS 13 for Apple devices.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/12/app...ery-life-with-optimized-battery-charging.html

That said, I know eneloop batteries have circuitry to do this and while it helps with extending the life of the battery it still degrades quite significantly after 2-3 years.

I'll eat my words if the Elite 2 can retain at least 90% of battery capacity after 5 years and 80% after 10 years. I don't think it'll happen though.

Regards,
    SB

BRiT likes this.
  13. dobwal

Veteran

No worries. Looked it up and apple guarantees 80% capacity at 500 charges which isn’t all that great given typical charging habits of smartphone users. Remember a controller’s battery rated at 40 hrs on a single charge and used for ~6 hours a day would take far longer to get to 500 charges than an iPhone that’s typically charged on a daily basis.

Even with an iPhone type of guarantee you could charge a controller once a week and still be using it 10 years from now with close to 32 hours of gaming per charge.

Also iPhone 1.3 update isn’t about over provisioning it’s battery. Its new feature literally charges up the phone to 80% and then uses machine learning to find more opportune time to charge the last 20%. So if you routinely charge at night and typically grab your phone at 7 am to start your day, the iPhone won’t fully charge itself until right before 7am. It saves on wear that comes from phones trying to keep themselves at 100% while we all are sleep.

#53 dobwal, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    milk and BRiT like this.
  14. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯