Xbox Scarlet Hybrid Game-Streaming Version, Kahawai

A streaming console that doesn't have a huge library of games will be very niche or DOA. The large, instant access library is why people use Netflix, Spotify, etc. I can't imagine MS would sell a console that plays only new stream developed games. At the least, they'd have dual capability of traditional streaming and the hybrid approach.

Would anyone's opinion of Xbox Scarlet change entirely if it was a mobile console with base resolution of HD but scalable up to 4K with no noticable latency or lag, with the right scenarios with the cloud?

It seems like everyone seems to be downplaying it already and comparing it to the current stationary consoles, yet we have large success of Nintendo Switch which doesnt even do HD at times.

I'd certainly be interested in a hybrid (home/portable) device if done well. Especially if everything also ran on a Windows PC.

My only gripe with the Switch right now is that I have to buy some games twice if I want to play them on the Switch. The fact that the Switch is a hybrid device, however, makes that extra cost somewhat bearable for the better titles.

Regards,
SB

They may go full on free to play multiplayer games... On multiplayer this is gonna be a really superior platform... Entry cost will be low or zero as you got all with a maybe two years monthtly subscription.

They may even apply a peer to peer based experience where "servers" are just other consoles like OneX in standby nearby by wich owners get some cash to spend on games as reward...

Last edited by a moderator:
They may go full on free to play multiplayer games... On multiplayer this is gonna be a really superior platform... Entry cost will be low or zero as you got all with a maybe two years monthtly subscription.

That's OnLive/SteamLink class hardware and current reports have some form of local game logic all the way up to actually running the game locally, these kind of hybrid schemes would require hardware that would be a very poor fit for the base hardware to be a giveaway (i.e. <$200)

They may even apply a peer to peer based experience where "servers" are just other consoles like OneX in standby nearby by wich owners get some cash to spend on games as reward...

No reason to do this at all, every cost metric is lower in an Azure data centre and it would deliver a far more reliable end user experience

No reasons ?!? What about distance ? People may like to give away theyr console machine time for very little.... ;) Well parents are going to pay energy bills and you get credits to play Fortnite or whatever. I agree it may not be so much reliable but a mixed approach peer to peer / datacentres may work great...

Good point on distance, I live in Dublin Ireland so I keep forgetting how much of an issue this is for folks in Oz or anywhere in Africa. Still not sure the distance would make up for the end user experience challenges of having to migrate off a box when it's owner turns it on or the b/w challenges of other users in the home torrenting or what have you but it's an interesting idea for regions with bad Azure infra

Looking for a memory check here. But did anyone else ever remember when they were selling cloud powered a long time ago (2013ish) they talked about some sort of GPU access directly to Ethernet or we read about it ? Or am I just imagining stuff?

EDit:https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

So a lot of what we’re discussing was said back in 2013.

Just gotta find that bit about GPU/Ethernet bit
Lol ugh nvm.
Post 2 of our own threads.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1733108/

Last edited:
No reasons ?!? What about distance ? People may like to give away theyr console machine time for very little.... ;) Well parents are going to pay energy bills and you get credits to play Fortnite or whatever. I agree it may not be so much reliable but a mixed approach peer to peer / datacentres may work great...

This has not been done since Rainbow Six on the OG Xbox, I don't see it happening again as it is too unreliable. Although it would probably be the best experience if that far from a data center.

Also a closer peer on a residential broadband link is unlikely to be preferable to a data center just a bit further with CDN grade network connection.

Network consistency is as important as latency. Something only the data center can really provide.

I am also spoilt with being between multiple Azure data centers. Even selecting more distant centers in Titanfall gives a better experience than many COD P2P matches which are probably lower ping on a good day, with the wind behind them when match making occurred.

This has not been done since Rainbow Six on the OG Xbox, I don't see it happening again as it is too unreliable. Although it would probably be the best experience if that far from a data center.
Surely consumer lines and home routers can't offer the dedicated QoS of a datacenter pipe? Lowest latency may be lower, but packet loss and glitches would be far higher I'm guessing. P2P exists on the PC, certainly, and it can be ropey.

Surely consumer lines and home routers can't offer the dedicated QoS of a datacenter pipe? Lowest latency may be lower, but packet loss and glitches would be far higher I'm guessing. P2P exists on the PC, certainly, and it can be ropey.

That was my point, unless your a continent away in which case P2P ideally with one console acting as a dedicated server otherwise the hosted solution if going to be vastly superior in almost any metric.

R6 on the OG allowed you to host matches on a box which ran a dedicated game lobby (could not also play on that console), I think it increased the lobby size over P2P as a bonus. You needed a dedicated console, another copy of the game, another live subscription. Cannot think why this did not take off ;) was good tho if you had a suitable group of friends.

I probably should have had the last two paragraphs first to make that more clear.

Another challenger appears. Albeit at much higher performance and requirements. Shadow is logically what Scarlet (and the og Xbox One under the cloud gaming banner for that matter) is after at a console quality level. Also, enjoy the multiple device demo made possible because you don't need the thin client hardware, you can just run it as an app on practically anything. Which falls exactly in line with what Satya's Microsoft has done to so many things since Satya took the helm. Enjoy.

Another challenger appears. Albeit at much higher performance and requirements. Shadow is logically what Scarlet (and the og Xbox One under the cloud gaming banner for that matter) is after at a console quality level. Also, enjoy the multiple device demo made possible because you don't need the thin client hardware, you can just run it as an app on practically anything. Which falls exactly in line with what Satya's Microsoft has done to so many things since Satya took the helm. Enjoy.

50-70 Mbit connection for best quality without HDR. O.O And that's still with some compression artifacts.

I'd blow through my data cap of 1 TB a month in no time.

Regards,
SB

Wouldn't the same chip suffice for both? Stream games to the console or tablet, akin to the nVidia Shield tablet and console.

MS insisting on this hybrid approach is just going to price themselves out of the Streaming game. I have zero faith they will provide an experience good enough to justify a price premium when other streaming options will work on $40 devices.

MS insisting on this hybrid approach is just going to price themselves out of the Streaming game. I have zero faith they will provide an experience good enough to justify a price premium when other streaming options will work on $40 devices.
Don't they have 2 different streaming methods.
1 no dedicated box, can stream to everything including phones
2 dedicated hardware to give a higher quality streaming experience, e.g. lower latency

I think your thinking about number 1?

Wouldn't the same chip suffice for both? Stream games to the console or tablet, akin to the nVidia Shield tablet and console.
hm... semi-custom of a Raven Ridge derivative, which is a 4C/8T + 11CU. Perhaps just enough to run Durango games with customizations for XO compatibility + streaming + maybe 7nm instead? Picasso being 12nm wouldn't be that far removed from the power consumption vs Raven Ridge, I think, since it's just a mature 14/16nmFF. :???: No point using 12nm in 2020 anyway.

From a curiosity standpoint, if MS were to use Picasso in Surface 2019, that would be preliminary investigation for what they might want in 2020 is what I mean.

hm... I probably should have read the thing more closely.

My impression was streaming + two proper consoles.

:confused:o_O

Back