XBL-esque 'PlayStation Network (PSNet)' details revealed?...

It would be ovely comical if all those that criticised Live on these forums over the last few months were slapped with Sony introducing a system which had roughly the same features and exactly the same pricing ;)

Reminiscent of the Apple -> Intel scenario.

Edit Sony,not MS (should really proof read)

nickguy94 said:
Well, I don't really know how much of a chance their is that they're going to go over their plan for the Playstation Network, but even if they didn't go over it at the meeting, I would think that they would talk about it at the TGS at the latest.

TGS seems reasonable, but tomorrow's meeting is a fairly small date in the calendar. I very much doubt they'd present their online plans there. Maybe a few game announcements, but I wouldn't expect much more generally on the PS3 front (i'm sure ps2 and psp will get the lion's share of attention, as opposed to what happened at the e3 conference).

I don't think many really have much to critisize about "Live", it is a great service and works really really well.
But it's only natural to critisize any additional costs that are put to the consumer.
The same critisisms should apply if Sony were to price their service similarly, but at the same time one should remember by now people will be more "used to" the pricing model and are more willing to accept it as there already exsists one such.

Didn't some of Sony europe guys say in some interview that "PS3 will go underground until E3 2006" or something like that.
Then I wouldn't be surprised if any true new info wouldn't be released before that.

Also, by promoting the PS3 heavily this year, before the xbox360 launches, they'd be at the same time promoting the xbox360 in a sense.

I mean by promoting the PS3,even though it won't be available until next spring, after xb360, they'll build awareness and hype of next gen consoles in general and at the same time make people think they'll need a next gen console now.
But as the only next gen console available soon will be xb360, I'm sure many people who are not that "true to platform" will think "Ok, I'll by a next gen console then, now what's available.... hmmmm.. there's only xbox360.. I'll buy that as the next gen and HD era is so "now" and talked by everybody, it'll be like next gen playstation!"
They of course could counter that phenomenom by putting the PS3 hype against xbox360 sales campaigns, making people think "ok, I'll wait for the PS3 then instead of buying the xbox360 this christmas", but I guess they'll just let the xbox360 have it's time in limelight ;)

rabidrabbit said:
Didn't some of Sony europe guys say in some interview that "PS3 will go underground until E3 2006" or something like that.
Then I wouldn't be surprised if any true new info wouldn't be released before that.

Well Sony has to start opening up in a fairly big way from TGS onwards, really. If you were to compare to MS's timeline, right now would be like what March was for MS..TGS will be a similar length of time away from PS3's launch as E3 was from X360's launch.

Of course, they could always schedule special PS3 exhibitions for late this year, early next year. I think they had a specific public PS2 exhibition early in 2000, for example (and IIRC, it was eerily quiet..not many people went to it!).

I think those comments were relating to SCEE's own strategy. Its in their interests for focus to remain on PS2 and PSP, since they've a little more untapped potential here in Europe than SCEJ or SCEA. PSP is still to launch in Europe, and I would say they're gonna be real careful about keeping attention on that. From that point of view, for them it's not ideal having PS3 around the corner.

rabidrabbit said:

Considering the PS3 will likely be out before E3 2006, I'd say that's a misquote. I do however remembering a guy from SCEE(I think it was Phil Harrison) say that details on the PS3 would be scarce following the big showing at E3. This however, was before Microsoft announced it's Japan Meeting and said there's going to be "big surprises". I think Sony was only planning on showing off PSP and PS2 games, but they might have changed their strategy to take the wind of out MS's sails. Who knows.....

Shifty Geezer said:
As for spectating, that'd need the player's game to be uploading video footage of them playing. That's codec overhead to compress 1+megapixel screens at 30 fps, uploading BW consumption interfering with online game (online gaming is ALWAYS short of BW, so why waste it with videos??), storage on servers, and distribution.

Sounds like bunk to me.

I think the part about the person "spectating" not needing the game running on their machine is bunk, but many online games have a spectator mode.

Most of the Xbox 360 games have some sort of Spectator mode. Read up on "Gotham TV" for example.

I really think that the games on both systems are going to end up looking exactly alike (I know, I know the jury is still out ;) ) but I think it's in sony's best interest to withhold as much info as possible so as to keep direct comparisons (and screenshots) to X360 to a minimum until PS3 is near a store shelf.

their best mktg strategy right now is the mysterious potential of a more powerful system even if it turns out that the games end up looking the same.

The promise of a solid online system though, would be in their best interest to showcase now IMO. If these online rumors are true, I think it's a great move for SONY.

It'll be interesting to see what Sony provides in terms of online storage. It seems they are behind this idea, but the logistics are vitally important. For instance, will they not allow you to store saved games to it so that you will still have to buy a memory card or HDD?

Of course, it'll also be interesting to see if MS does anything along these lines, but that's not really the focus of this thread.

I sure hope this is fud. I'm not paying for online access. My ISP already gets a monthy check for that. Make it per-game for those MMOs that I avoid like the plague. PEACE.

Online gaming is highly overrated (IMO) and I'm not gonna pay extra for some "game console service" either. It's like paying for the road after you bought a car or something. (well you do actually ;) )

If anyone makes a service that's better than Live! it will be Nintendo. But maybe not even them.

I would pay $50 a year if it was any good.

Is it me or is this just a slightly redone version of the original Live? All together, MS had this (Storage aside) years ago and is adding to Live. Given the choice, Live will win with me.

Also, if Sony copies Live so much, they need to get it perfect. Otherwise, everyone will say "Gee, MS can do it, why can't Sony"...

As to the storage, I really wouldn't hold my breath. With the ruling against P2P networks (which holds them responsible for content being traded) then Sony would just be opening up a whole can of 'Let's get sued' on themselves. All it would take is for someone to upload their copy of Star Wars or something...

nickguy94 said:
Well, I guess we might find out in a few hours if this guy is talking out of hit butt or not. I'm skeptical as you guys are, especially about the Spectator Mode, but it would be nice for the Playstation Network to have a lot of those features.

In a few hours? What's happening in a few hours?

Yeah Kaz Hirai has been pooh-poohing subscriptions and talking up microtransactions.

Spectator mode and storing replays online would be nice but that kind of storage has high costs. Imagine thousands simultaneously trying to stream replays from servers.

The only thing I care about would be multiplayer/multiconsole online games, not just one-on-one EA Sports games, so you could pair up with someone else against another pair or more players.

Spectator mode can be achieved through a multiconnection game.

I bet there will not be anythins we don´t know...
It´s the same and old Playstation meeting. I dont want it, but I think it will be this way.
See ya!!!

Back