Xbitlabs bench 6800 & X800 with HL2 and Stalker

There is a difference between not announcing a release date and being "delayed" and specifically not only announcing a date, but reinforcing it several times.

I want D3 as well, but iD never gave me a date to worry about, so for me it's "until it's done". At the very least, they never lied to the public.

radar1200gs said:
To the best of my knowledge, neither Id, nor Activision have ever officially announced any Doom3 release date.

They promissed that it would be released in 2003 on huge banners at E3 2002.

And they claimed that they would only present the at one E3 (the one in 2002).

DemoCoder said:
There is a difference between not announcing a release date and being "delayed" and specifically not only announcing a date, but reinforcing it several times.

I want D3 as well, but iD never gave me a date to worry about, so for me it's "until it's done". At the very least, they never lied to the public.
Oh stop your nitpicking... lied too...pifft. Worry? about a game. You know who lied to the public . Comming in 2003 was the date......sept 30 was a date, sept,2002, nov2002,Xmass 2002, end of the year, out in mass by april,May, July, oh yeah the nv35 was in mass by august2003, Dates lies. 3Dc is "not good" ,"sm3.0 matters now" Nvidia has the best drivers, ... ill stop now on the list of lies. meh

Tim said:
radar1200gs said:
To the best of my knowledge, neither Id, nor Activision have ever officially announced any Doom3 release date.

That happens all the time, and those sorts of "promises" slip all the time too.

Show me an actual official release date - dd, month, year, and it has to be from Activision or Id.

radar1200gs said:
Tim said:
radar1200gs said:

Show me an actual official release date - dd, month, year, and it has to be from Activision or Id.
your such a puff. i feel like they lied to me. But they had to do the music over,, Who cares. this is SO off topic.

Looking at some other scores in Xbit article, it seems that Nvidia drivers could use quite a bit of work.

AlphaWolf said:
Note: Gabe Newell also plays games, he doesn't just code them. I expect he has a very good idea of dx9 performance in general, but I frankly don't recall a comment of his directly regarding X800.
Well, given the repeated delays for HL2, I would hope Gabe would be spending his time coding and not playing games. For his companie's sake, and those people clutching vouchers, I hope this is true :)
<edit> 'Payola' does roll off the tongue much better than 'The Way It's Meant to be Played' or 'Get in the Game' doesn't it?
Payola is probably a bit strong, but certainly both Nvidia and ATI have marketing deals with developers that can be seen to compromise their integrity. I believe in mose cases these deals are restricted to marketing and technical help, rather than anything more underhand. Whilst I find it annoying to see hardware manufacturers' logos plastered over game boxes and intro screens, I can accept that the technical help offered by card companies often does help improve the game for the consumer (and for all compliant hardware, not just the sponsorer hardware manufacturer).

What I do find slightly amusing, though, is that the same people who revile Nvidia for 'TWIMTBP' have no problems with ATI doing essentially the same thing. I remember reading on Slashdot how the leaked HL2 code was liberally spattered with comments by an ATI employee. If this had been Nvidia doing it the fanatics would have been down on them like a ton of bricks, especially given the fact that HL2 performed so poorly on the then current Nvidia hardware. However, ATI can do no wrong in some peoples' eyes - they are still blessed with that 'plucky underdog' monica that is so far from the truth it's laughable.

Neither ATI or Nvidia want your adulation, they just want your money :)

Geeforcer said:
Looking at some other scores in Xbit article, it seems that Nvidia drivers could use quite a bit of work.

Amen! When the NV30 first appeared, I asked an Nvidia developer how much more performance we could expect out of future drivers. He guessed 40%, and I think that turned out to be about right for specific cases. Now the same rules apply to both ATI and Nvidia, bit since the X800 is basically a "9800 on steroids" the ATI driver team have probably squeezed as much out of the architecture as possible (apart from the OpenGL rewrite). Just looking at the X800 benchies suggests that the drivers are much more mature. With the 6800, the NV team have a whole new design to work with and I would guess that we will see the same 'NV30' pattern unfold with each driver release adding good gains (and major fixes - farcry!).

Rob

I think the second PS Unit of the NV40 seems difficult to handle ATM. The tweak could effectively greatly improve the PS 2/3.0 performance.

radar1200gs said:

You were shown a pic of an Activision banner proclaiming Doom 3 coming in 2003 on the previous page of this thread. Not a specific date, but a specific year, and according to my calendar 2003 has come and went. Now, please, do us all a favor and STFU.

#$*%#@ f@nboys piss me off.

AlphaWolf said:
Note: Gabe Newell also plays games, he doesn't just code them. I expect he has a very good idea of dx9 performance in general, but I frankly don't recall a comment of his directly regarding X800.

Heh, looks like he has now. :)

Half-Life Developer Crowns ATI X800 As Fastest Graphics IC

"In terms of performance, it's pretty fast," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve Software, the developer of Half-Life II. "When I say 'pretty fast' I mean that its 40 percent faster in internal testing, faster than any next-generation parts that are coming out. That's a huge advantage in developing a game."

Yes, but mostly enthusiasts bought the cards, and most of you admit to upgrading regularly. By the time you actually receive the game, chances are you will no longer own the card it was to be bundled with! I wouldn't mind betting you won't get a cd either, you'll probably have to make do with a copy downloaded from Steam.

What's changing cards go to do with the price of fish? the ONLY problem arising will be if either Valve or ATi refuse to honour the vouchers upon release of the HL2 game. As for media, did ATi of Valve ever specify whether it would come on CD? If not, TOUGH your assumptions or wishes are not their problem.

DemoCoder said:
Althornin said:
The general tone of your posts is quite clear.
Boost a certain IHv, and slyly jab at a different one.

And general tone of your posts is quite clear: stupid personal snipes.

The only sly jab here is Valve's lies and damn lies. ATI should sue them if their contract allows.

for what?
ATI was aware of the delay well in advance. Guess what it did not stop them to do their promotion. They were lying to customers too.
Anyone who thinks they knew nothing is a fool.

They knew it and i have the feeling that the whole leak story was just an cheap excuse both agreed on to get out of that fiasco in the best way they can.
Really i don't believe anything valve and ati are saying about HL2 and Readeon performance.
They have been in bed together since day 1 and ATI payed a lot of money to get the good PR.
Now i think its time both of them get a feeling of the bad PR too when you don't deliver as promised.
None of them is innocent they deserve the full bad PR in that matter. Simple business rules.

Richthofen said:
for what?
ATI was aware of the delay well in advance.

You have proof to support that claim? Or is this just more of your f@nboy-ish suppositions?

Guess what it did not stop them to do their promotion. They were lying to customers too.
Anyone who thinks they knew nothing is a fool.

They knew it and i have the feeling that the whole leak story was just an cheap excuse both agreed on to get out of that fiasco in the best way they can.

HL2 shipping last fall would've been a PR coup of epic proportions for ATI, and an unmitigated, colossal headache for nVidia.

Really i don't believe anything valve and ati are saying about HL2 and Readeon performance.
They have been in bed together since day 1 and ATI payed a lot of money to get the good PR.

It's not as if what Newell said about NV3x performance last year came from nowhere or lacked substantiating evidence. It's not as if other developers didn't publically write that Newell was merely stating what many have known all along.

Now i think its time both of them get a feeling of the bad PR too when you don't deliver as promised.
None of them is innocent they deserve the full bad PR in that matter. Simple business rules.

Well, I think it's time Activision and id paid the piper for intentionally delaying Doom 3 for NV4x. No, I have no proof for that statement but apparently in your world of logic evidence isn't required. After all, nVidia has paid millions for cross-marketing, gotten the first benchmarks of the game for their NV35 launch last year so they must be in cahoots with each other.

This board needs an ignore option.

lots of talk about nothing. Only trolling, the topic is about benching on a game that is warz and not current, the nvida card is on the DX8 path..pifft, the other game is on the DX8 build... kinda funny how some ppl posting only find fault in the relationship between Valve and ATI? and think they are lieing to there consummers with no true proof.. but lots of duh looks that way, (and it does ..duh), but wont even for one second think of the id nivdia relationship, and all the BS that add up to lies in my book. All because of a fixed date..lol you guys are morooons :LOL: DC is so transparent but the rest are just fanbois. The bottom line is anybody who bought a R3xx card to get the voucher still has the voucher and will have a card that is faster than any nv3x choice they had at the time of puchase. PLZ LIE TO ME SOMEMORE SO I CAN SAVE MORE MONEY ON THE NEXT GREAT GAME!!! Then there is the nv3x NEED I SAY MORE

ATI, may have lied, but still has great card and freegame.
nVida, DID lie, cheat, has lesser card and NO FREEGAME

karlotta said:
lots of talk about nothing. Only trolling, the topic is about benching on a game that is warz and not current, the nvida card is on the DX8 path..pifft, the other game is on the DX8 build... kinda funny how some ppl posting only find fault in the relationship between Valve and ATI? and think they are lieing to there consummers with no true proof.. but lots of duh looks that way, (and it does ..duh), but wont even for one second think of the id nivdia relationship, and all the BS that add up to lies in my book. All because of a fixed date..lol you guys are morooons :LOL: DC is so transparent but the rest are just fanbois. The bottom line is anybody who bought a R3xx card to get the voucher still has the voucher and will have a card that is faster than any nv3x choice they had at the time of puchase. PLZ LIE TO ME SOMEMORE SO I CAN SAVE MORE MONEY ON THE NEXT GREAT GAME!!! Then there is the nv3x NEED I SAY MORE

ATI, may have lied, but still has great card and freegame.
nVida, DID lie, cheat, has lesser card and NO FREEGAME

FANB0Y!!!!!!! ^
ATI LOVER!!!! |
TROLL !!!!!! ---

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back