Xbitlabs bench 6800 & X800 with HL2 and Stalker

Doom 3 was announced in 2002..."coming summer 2003"

Actually I remember seeing demos of it at MacWorld SF (2001) in which JC was using it to showcase the GeForce 3 at the time...

But I wouldn't rely on announcement dates... Valve had been pretty hush-hush for years so who knows how long they've been working on HL2?

Theres some serious insults flying. Heres my opinion. I dont trust Nvidia or ATI. Nor valve or id. What i do know is that 1.The bundling of 9600XT and 9800XT was a "big deal" with reviews and opinions. When ever someone recommanded the 9600XT over 9600Pro it was because of Half life 2. C my point? Some ppl could of saved some cash couldn't they and because we don't know when Half life2 is really going to come out(and if its hardware requirements will increase to make the 9800XT the midrange for it), we may still be on this topic in 3 years of course with these harsh insults.
2. from my understanding ATI had full knowledge of the dilemna. Some ppl here do professional business, but let me clearify this, if u arn't communicating with your business partner and tackling an issue together your going to lose alot of credibility atleast in the business world. No one wants to do business with someone who hides their messes instead of trying to clean up. yet if some of you are implying that ATI was a victim and knew just a little more then u then hmmm, seems like ATI doesn't know how to do business!(sarcasim).

Lastly, if your going to brand someone a f@nboy, brand yourself at it too. There is no point to insulting someone else because 1. they wont change for the better or wose in a split second(you should know this from all your relationships) and 2. your just going to start a thread war. Unless you like proving how "right" you are and how "wrong" someone else opinion is then you should just let this fly and post back only to the logic of a statement someone made.

Of course most of the ppl here can't prove themselves, for 1 this is for a discussion not a research paper, which implies we use logic!, logic dictates that companies know their business otherwise they would not be in business, if you or anyone else wants to spend 10 hours looking for proof just to show how our opinion is flawed then you are ilogical and an ass!. We are all learning no matter how much u know i believe and this process should not be discouraged by insults and flame wars.

That someone thinks Nvdia or ATI are best right now does not mean in a few days/months/years he won't realise how wrong he/she maybe. Patience is a virtue.

the voucher came with the 9600pr,9600AIW, any 9800 after the delay, and im sure but cant proove it was in a run of 9200s.

AlphaOmega said:
2. from my understanding ATI had full knowledge of the dilemna. Some ppl here do professional business, but let me clearify this, if u arn't communicating with your business partner and tackling an issue together your going to lose alot of credibility atleast in the business world. No one wants to do business with someone who hides their messes instead of trying to clean up. yet if some of you are implying that ATI was a victim and knew just a little more then u then hmmm, seems like ATI doesn't know how to do business!(sarcasim).
An ISV isn't going to let someone pour over every line of code - there is always going to be an element of trust that what the ISV is saying is something close to what will happen.

Depends were you bought from.

"1.The bundling of 9600XT and 9800XT was a "big deal" with reviews and opinions. When ever someone recommanded the 9600XT over 9600Pro it was because of Half life 2"

This still stands because many 9600pros 9800 did not. A limited edition as u might say. Remember 9600pros 9800pros were on market before 9600XT and 9800XT and therefore majority did not have no voucher and were sold much less then a 9600XT. Not sure about 9600pros with voucher being same price as 9600Pro. And i check online stores regularly. Ill take your word about 9600AIW cause i never look at those cards at stores. I still clearly remember that in 2003 december the prices on the 9600Pro because i friend asked me look for him for a mid range card. As i remember the 9600 pro was 200 Canadian while the 9600Xt was 270 Canadian from an competitive online store. He bought the 9600Pro though he didn't mind not getting a voucher for half life 2.

from thanxgiving on at compusa and bestbuy every R3xx had the voucher, and im almost certin i saw 9200s with them i bought a AIW 9600pro with it and my buddy got a 9800pro from newegg with it. All where ATI made cards. Also in the box was the key for the extream pack to down load from steam all the games Valve makes except for blueshift( a freebe do to the delay). That was ALL R3xxs. **************** well i take it back. https://www.atihl2offer.com/faq.asp#5 But my friend did get in his 9800pro.... and i swear i saw it on all the new boxs after thanxgiving....

DaveBaumann said:
An ISV isn't going to let someone pour over every line of code - there is always going to be an element of trust that what the ISV is saying is something close to what will happen.

Do you need to go over every line of code to know if a game is ready or not, isn't it enough with just playing the game ?

I'm not saying that Ati did or did not know about the delay before the proposed release date but they sure as hell could have commented on it afterwards. The first thing they should have done was to call Valve and ask them what the hell was going on and then get some information out to their customers. What happened instead was that we got 7 months of silence from both companies which imo isn't really handling your customers very well.

*Yawn* You guys are pathetic. When I left this place last year because of lacking enthusiasm in the slowing graphics market and other outside factors this place was full of smart discussion that made me think "Wow, these guys are fucking smart. I wish more boards were as mature as this".

Now I come back and I see you new guys bitching and fighting with these guys that have been here ages. Its pretty rediculous really....

Anyways back to the point. To see what the betas are running, look at the scores for the last generation cards and see if they line of to the scores of the old reviews that used the old betas. Then youd know if they were the same, and therefore how they are running in these benchmarks.

As for the nv3x shit path in HL2; why wouldnt the nv40 be running on it? Its nV hardware so it eaither runs DX8 or mixed mode right? assuming its the same version used in past reviews.

Chris123234 said:
*Yawn* You guys are pathetic. When I left this place last year because of lacking enthusiasm in the slowing graphics market and other outside factors this place was full of smart discussion that made me think "Wow, these guys are fucking smart. I wish more boards were as mature as this".

Now I come back and I see you new guys bitching and fighting with these guys that have been here ages. Its pretty rediculous really....

Anyways back to the point. To see what the betas are running, look at the scores for the last generation cards and see if they line of to the scores of the old reviews that used the old betas. Then youd know if they were the same, and therefore how they are running in these benchmarks.

As for the nv3x shit path in HL2; why wouldnt the nv40 be running on it? Its nV hardware so it eaither runs DX8 or mixed mode right? assuming its the same version used in past reviews.

:rolleyes:
What can i say...
I won't bother commenting on the first part of your post. In the second part though, you see to imply that the NV40 HL2 beta scores are achieved using the NV3x codepath just cause "it's NV hardware". Did it ever occured to you that the user might be able to choose between the two paths ?? (i.e. the standard full P.S. 2.0 part and the mixed mode path). At this point, unless someone comes out and say what's the score on this we can't be sure, but i assume the results that were published in a certain preview should have both new cards running the full P.S. 2.0 path.

I`m wondering-how improbable is it that, for this gen there will be no huuuuuge gap in performance and that the 6800 and x800 will be evenly matched generally?Gabe Newell or Tim Sweeney would like to make everybody think otherwise but, in the end, that will be the so hard to accept truth :!:

Back