X-Men 3

dskneo said:
there is a next x-men movie for sure..... magneto did move the iron chess piece at the end.

but x-men with out xavier, jean, scot.... how weird

Well we didn't actually see Cyclops get killed now did we? I mean we can assume all we want but with Phoenix in the equation all bets are off. As for Jean, well the Phoenix.persona got the claws but what if it wasn't just a persona but a different entity altogether? That's the way the books handled it. It could also explain why Xavier was unable to restore the barriers in Jeans mind.

X-men 2 was still better I think. I would have liked to see much more of colossus battling it out, with juggernaut prefferably. Granted Kitty's altercation with him was most entertaining. Grace against brute force.

Well, personally I don't think that they should give any significant screen time to any of the X-men whose characters they haven't developed. I mean, for those of us that haven't read the comics, it might look cool, but if we don't care about the fight, then it's not nearly as entertaining.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this movie, but as I read reviews around the web, they are right about one thing: it did lack in character development. While I'm sure they're working on a new X-men movie, they need to take care and provide more character development or the series is going to tank.

The fights and action sequences are cool, but if we don't care about those involved, there's not much reason to watch the movie.

Bollocks bollocks bollocks! I didn't sit through the credits! Wish I'd seen that final scene - thanks for the description. That makes me like the movie much more.

Spoilers below, read only if you have seen it or just don't give a damn.

It is obvious this series is not going to be a trilogy just the way they left so many things open. From what I know Cyclops had to leave the movie early because he was set to work on Superman Returns. the fact they didn't show him dying could mean that he did in fact survive in some way or another. When Pheonix was initially kissing him I had th ethought she was absorbing him, but it could be any number of things.

At the end we sall all three of their graves, but we know Charles went into the body of the burnt up man in the care of Moira McTaggart.

Magneto does indeed still have some semblance of his power left. It would be bad if he played the main villain in the next X-men film if there is one. The main villain in all three movies is too much to take.

The introduction of Angel and his survival kind of gives a clue that he could have an important role in the next film. And with that it could introduce Apocalypse as the new villain....

I'm not quite sure Apocalypse would be that great as a villain in a movie. I mean, he's sort of this massive opponent that wants to destroy the planet, but I think it makes the movie so much more interesting if the opponent is much more human. Selecting Apocalypse as the villain for the next one would result in some furious, frenetic action, but I think that they could do better for a movie.

Magneto may still come back (if the "cure" is temporary).

I didn't think Magneto was around very much in the second movie. He was a supporting character in prison almost the whole time.

The reason why Magneto is around so much is that he is the other side of Xavier. Magneto fulfils Xavier's role for the opposing camp. Just like we don't complain about Professor X being in every movie, I'm not sure if replacing Magneto with a more stock baddie would be a good move.

The reason why Magneto is so good is that he is as clever, powerful and intellectual as Xavier, but has come to believe the opposite of what Xavier believes, despite the two of them seeing the same evidence and arguments that led them to their respective positions. Magneto leads his own forces and is more ruthless, but wants to protect "his" mutants just like Xavier does. Only difference is that Magneto wants to do it as the expense of normals, rather than intergrated with them.

BTW, did everyone notice Stan Lee was the man mowing the lawn at the beginning of the movie?

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
BTW, did everyone notice Stan Lee was the man mowing the lawn at the beginning of the movie?
No, he was the man watering his lawn at the beginning of the movie ;)

Magneto leads his own forces and is more ruthless, but wants to protect "his" mutants just like Xavier does.

Ha. "Let the pawns go first" does not sound like protecting.

WhiningKhan said:
Ha. "Let the pawns go first" does not sound like protecting.
[magneto]
One cannot make omelettes without breaking eggs.
[/magneto]

All for the greater good. By letting his "pawns" storm Alcatraz, he could see what traps had been laid for him, and deal with them. He was very close to winning once the soldiers and their new weapons had been dealt with. Magneto has his eye on winning the war, if not every battle. That's what makes him more interesting than the average comic book baddie.

I liked the movie as well. It wasn't a cinematic masterpiece or as good as X1 or X2, but I was entertained. Could have been much longer though. I mean Colossus was in the movie just to throw Wolverine twice at the enemy. Maybe they'll make a Director's Cut DVD or something.

Magneto has his eye on winning the war, if not every battle.

Sure, but sacrificing his 'lowest rank' staff is not exactly Xavier's cup of tea, as you implied:

Magneto leads his own forces and is more ruthless, but wants to protect "his" mutants just like Xavier does.

So, anyone else want to get nitpicked?

SPOILSPOILSPOILSPOIL

BTW, I found Magneto's plans regarding Phoenix a bit blurry. All that raving about her being the ultimate weapon with unlimited powers yadda yadda, then just march into battle, lose the battle while letting her just stand there, then slap your forehead crying "what have I done?" when all goes to hell as she gets pissed? The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that she was just supposed to be a self-destruct device for getting rid of the 'cure' if everything else fails.

/SPOILSPOILSPOILSPOIL

Moffell said:
X-men 2 was still better I think. I would have liked to see much more of colossus battling it out, with juggernaut prefferably. Granted Kitty's altercation with him was most entertaining. Grace against brute force.
I'm not exactly sure how he got out of being planted in the floor. That seems like the perfect way to stop him.

Well commercial success and suck don't exclude each other by definition.

That said, I've enjoyed all three movies. And I am VERY GRATEFUL for the heads-up I received through this thread about staying put in my seat until the credits were done. I only managed to convince a few other people to stay (apart from my fiancee), but they were very grateful. ;)

Chalnoth said:
Ah, so that must be why Xmen 3 grossed about 120 million this weekend. Because it sucked.

You liked it good for you, but if they could get a simple thing like Juggernaut being a mutant wrong, sheeesh..... you don't want to know what i have say about the other characters.

So it's not an exact replication of the comic books, big deal. It is not meant to follow the comics exactly. Sure, Juggernaut is not a mutant, Jean Grey didn't have an alter ego named Phoenix, and the list goes on. It's not a big deal since the movie is still a good action flick on its own.

deathstar121 said:
You liked it good for you, but if they could get a simple thing like Juggernaut being a mutant wrong, sheeesh.

I guess Ultimate Marvel got it wrong too then?

Back