Witcher 2

I can't even get the patch to install. Tried it a few times and the installer crashed. The auto update doesn't work, either. I'm pissed. I wanna play Dark Mode.

Huh do you happen to have any mods installed there Dresden? Mine just installed without any problems whatsoever.

Huh do you happen to have any mods installed there Dresden? Mine just installed without any problems whatsoever.

I have TW2 Tweaker, but that's about it. How do I check my game version? I might be missing a small update, or something.

I´m nearing the end of second chapter (out of 3 I´ve heard) and I´m really getting into this game now. I like the gritty atmosphere. I love the music. And I´m getting into the battle system too.

There´s a certain rhytm about it, getting in, making a couple hits, rolling out, casting a couple runes and repeating. I´m liking it more and more and the lack of ability to neither cast a healing spell nor drink a healing bottle during battle is starting to make more sense. Also I´ve stopped abusing the system where I could retreat past a certain point and make the enemies stop following me and then kite them... mostly because when I fight properly, I can be more efficient and fight the battles faster. The challenge would not be there.

And would you believe it this is one of those games that are rated 3d vision ready for Nvidia 3dtv play? That´s right, I´ve enjoyed playing this one in 3d 720p with everything on including ubersampling. (Higher resolution 3d at proper refresh rate is not compatible with hdmi 1.4 if I understood this correctly) Very smooth, no visual glitches... no big gameplay effect either but it works and adds some depth to the graphics.

Well, if there´s one thing that I´d like to complain it´s sometimes the fight tends to go a bit off camera if I don´t keep correcting it with the other analog stick. That and I´ve encountered an annoying dice minigame bug that prevents me to finish one side quest with a gamepad. And I gotta wait to play it until the kids go asleep because it´s quite gritty world indeed. Well, no biggie and no need to rush this.

What I´m wondering is would it make any sense to play the first witcher game after finishing this sequel?

Sure. I still think the first game was better than the second. But that could be because I played the first before I picked up the second. I definitely think the first had a creepier feel to it. The world felt more alive. But it would be interesting to see if you echo the same sentiments since you are playing it backwards. That said I started Chapter 3 and am on a side quest which invovles deciphering some runes and I just all of a sudden cannot be bothered playing the game. I ran out of steam and this was right before the 2.0 patch update!

I loved these magic crypts in chapter III where you need to do right combination to unlock! First 2 I figured by just looking at signs + a bit of logic. Following 2 I had hard time cracking so I went on to explore area and found merchant selling books. In one of them I found description of signs and short stories related to them. It took a bit of thinking but with that little help finding correct order of activating signs was much easier :)

I love challenging games requiring you to think a bit :) Like good old RPG on AMIGA :p

I loved these magic crypts in chapter III where you need to do right combination to unlock! First 2 I figured by just looking at signs + a bit of logic. Following 2 I had hard time cracking so I went on to explore area and found merchant selling books. In one of them I found description of signs and short stories related to them. It took a bit of thinking but with that little help finding correct order of activating signs was much easier :)

I love challenging games requiring you to think a bit :) Like good old RPG on AMIGA :p

Yeah challenging is definitely good maybe I should stop being impatient and give it a shot.

What I´m wondering is would it make any sense to play the first witcher game after finishing this sequel?

It's definitely worth playing as it's a very good game. It is quite different though. The combat mechanics are basically just timing the mouse clicks, but I liked that too.

I dunno if this comparison makes sense, but the situation with Witcher games is a bit similar to Mass Effect 1 and 2. The second is way more polished and structurally sound, but has maybe a little less soul.

Witcher 1 has some tedious backtracking slightly broken quests, very poor weapon and armor development, but it's a great game. Of course getting introduced to the character would have been much better, if you played the first game first, but you should be able to enjoy it greatly anyway, as getting to know Geralt and his past is just one part of the experience and the intriquing events in the game world.

Well I looked at the hints in the rooms and I was like wtf that didnt help at all. Then I went brute force and assigned a number from 1 to 4 to each sign... and started going 1 2 3 4 fail 1 2 4 3 nuh uh 1 3 2 4 nope 1 3 4 2 nope 1 4 1 2 etc... more often than not the solution was beginning with 4 :)

edit: Of course NOW that I unlocked them all, I found the books that would have helped...

Anyways, finished the game with all side quests except the other crossroads one because I could only choose one of the two. Even played a while with mouse and keyboard so that I could play around the gamepad dice game bug.

This is nice to hear:

The bulk of those sales are over Steam, Softpedia reports, with 195,000 sales racked up on Valve’s distribution service. CD Projekt’s own Good Old Games service accounted for another 35,000 sales, while other digital stores contributed another 10,000 downloads.

The company announced at the end of August that The Witcher 2 was about to pass 1 million sales, a milestone that has surely fallen by now. Not too shabby for a PC-exclusive RPG. Of course, CD Projekt is now hard at work developing an Xbox 360 port of the title, so the “PC-exclusive” disclaimer will have to be retired before long -- but PC gamers will continue to have access to totally free DLC, something console gamers can't claim.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/witcher_2_surpasses_250000_paid_digital_downloads

SB I think you REALLY should go ahead and finish Witcher 1 while you wait for the price drop to happen. I am downloading the patch right now. 12 gb!!! It's crazy! It's like they are redownloading the entire game or something. Anyway download is going hella slow at about 930 KB/sec...I am used to seeing 3.5 MB/sec in torrents...I am assuming the content distribution servers are being smashed right now from everyone upgrading.

Yeah, I keep thinking about going back and trying to finish it. But I hate the combat in it so much that even though the story is fairly decent, it's hard to convince myself to play that instead of something else. I think I was halfway through Act 2 when I stopped.

It's one of those situations where I wish there was a ME3 like option to play through the game in storymode only. OMG, did I just say something nice about ME3? :p

Regards,
SB

I started from scratch again and just arrived in Flotsum. I haven't spotted a great many differences to the regular edition thus far (depth of field looks different now), but it's still as enjoyable as ever. Seems a bit easier, though. Might be because I know what I'm doing now, but I don't think that's the extent of it. Heard a couple of new random lines from guards (I also don't think there were pigs running around in Flotsum before, but I might be wrong), most notably a "misquotation" of a famous Rorschach monologue from Watchmen.

Back