Civilization VII

It is very silly as they haven't played it yet. No one's played a full campaign yet. The people who did get to play it only did the first era. The continuity between ages may feel terrible but it might not. We'll see in Feb!

I think this is misunderstanding some of the concerns some of which is from thematic stand point, not the game play mechanics itself. In terms of what I was referring to many people for example just want to play as whatever civilization they chose just as if it was a character they chose as this has been the consistent presentation of the series. I've seen it suggested that the mechanic game play wise could still exist but instead be presented independent of the overall civilization, for instance you go fro Civ A Age I to Age II instead of Civ A to Civ B.

Also if we want to expand on this argument then why are we discussing games that aren't released at all? It seems like it would extend both ways, whether positive or negative feedback for unreleased games.

I think this is misunderstanding some of the concerns some of which is from thematic stand point, not the game play mechanics itself. In terms of what I was referring to many people for example just want to play as whatever civilization they chose just as if it was a character they chose as this has been the consistent presentation of the series. I've seen it suggested that the mechanic game play wise could still exist but instead be presented independent of the overall civilization, for instance you go fro Civ A Age I to Age II instead of Civ A to Civ B.

Also if we want to expand on this argument then why are we discussing games that aren't released at all? It seems like it would extend both ways, whether positive or negative feedback for unreleased games.

What I think is silly is the level of emotive response I've seen, not it being a discussion point. I'm more concerned myself about the ages not letting you lord it over units that are far below you on the tech tree, but we'll see. :)

It is very silly as they haven't played it yet. No one's played a full campaign yet. The people who did get to play it only did the first era. The continuity between ages may feel terrible but it might not. We'll see in Feb!

Some people play as EG "Rome", and you can't play as Rome an entire game, so people don't want to play it. Really straightforward.

I lost interest after seeing that "Great people" are now restricted to the Civ they originated from. The people designing this game and me fundamentally disagree over what makes Civ fun, and short of entire game being cancelled and the entire design team being replaced that's not going to change, c'est la ville.

It was a neat series while I enjoyed it, I'm glad there's attempts at competing with it like Humankind and Ara, hopefully one of those will catch my interest with a sequel or something.

Some people play as EG "Rome", and you can't play as Rome an entire game, so people don't want to play it. Really straightforward.

Do they play as Rome or Caeser really? I guess what they could do is have you pick another Civ (which is really just a collection of policy attributes) and keep the name Rome. Or someone could mod that it.

Player "character" identity in Civilization has mostly been more tied to the Civs than the leaders. For the most part the leaders are even switched game to game. I feel ever since the first game the series has had bit of give and take with the fan base in terms of those who want to play it as strictly a game vs. a historical sim. vs. a RP sandbox.

In terms of the emotive response you have to keep in mind in general people who aren't getting their way will be the most vocal. People who are getting their way (or I guess don't have strong feelings) will always tend to downplay something.

In terms of both a thematic and game play concern with the new mechanic I also saw brought up is the age mechanic with how it works limits how much of a technology gap you can have? It may no longer be possible to have tanks vs spearmen.

Save 90% on Sid Meier's Civilization® VI on Steam £4.99 (-90%)

I don't know how much the anthology is, since I own it already, but it's definitely worth having the two expansion if that's the cheapest way to do it.

Anthology is £21.47
Rise and Fall expansion £4.24 (-83%)
Gathering Storm expansion £4.18 (-88%)
Civilization VI : Platinum Edition BUNDLE £10.65 (-93%) includes both expansions + 6 dlc packs

Last edited:
That's 49 (24hour) days

Why would you stop for sleep? Just..one...more...turn

At least my playtime's nowhere near as high as Bludd's

1724699924956.png

🫣

I ended up playing it on the Epic Store version for while and I can't remember why. Er, some days well wasted there too!

Epic had it as a free give away.

I'd not played it for a while on Steam when it was free on Epic, as never really got that into it. Second time round I enjoyed it more, but switched back to Steam when the expansions were on offer + it's very playable on the Deck.

Back