Witcher 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Operation Mindcrime, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Jawed

Legend

Aha, I found that dialog but I had to use the Properties menu item to get there.

Wow that sounds super easy and cool.

Tomorrow I'll have a play with both of these things as I'm exhausted right now.

Lightman likes this.
  2. Jawed

Legend

So I tried the DXVK D3D9.DLL, but I lost performance: in the tutorial on the quay, 51 versus 54 right at the start or 49 versus 51 fps having moved to the body and looking up towards the moon. I might try again if I have more severe performance problems later.

Perhaps it depends on the combination of graphics settings: another combination used with DXVK might be substantially faster?

Clearly it works for plenty of other people:

DXVK yields significant performance improvements in The Witcher 1 and 2 on Windows : pcgaming (reddit.com)

As I understand it, the DXVK code can provide improved CPU threading of graphics commands along with the variety of advanced API techniques in Vulkan to better utilise modern GPUs. It's amazing stuff conceptually, had never heard of it.

You'd think that graphics drivers would be able to do this themselves. Perhaps 21.6.2 on RDNA 2 represents a good example of this being true?

I feel a bit miffed that it doesn't bring improved performance because it's just such a cool idea.

Still haven't decided what graphics settings to use and feeling too tired right now to have another go at affinity settings via the Steam launch options.

Lightman likes this.
  3. alpe

I have done some tests on my system both with and without DXVK and the tutorial area after starting a new game performs the same in both cases. :-? I get between 50 and 120 fps when running around in the starting area a bit. Game running at 1440p with everything enabled except Depth of Field and Motion Blur, but with Ubersampling.

It's been about a year now since I applied this fix, so it would seem drivers have matured enough now that this workaround is no longer needed. I do remember performance being absolutely horrible before using the DXVK though, especially in the first area after the tutorial.

Jawed and Lightman like this.
  4. Witchling

Newcomer

Too bad the video's unavailable. Anyone got a reupload?