Witcher 2

Thanks for the tip on the riposte. Surprisingly the next day when I came back to retry the wraiths bit, it was staggeringly easy. Axii never works for me in combat, but I was able to use Aard and Ignii and block and attack and dodge my way to victory. Basically I pwned the wraiths lol. I don't know what I was doing different but since then I have been kind of winning the fights relatively easily. Now that I also have my superb witcher's sword and need around 9 endrega teeth to make my Jagged steel sword, I am feeling quite confident...till I meet the Kayran that is...I hear that thing is a beast...literally!

yea, i dunno what it is with axii, i never had a monster or a human fight for me in this game with it. with 2/2 in enhanced axii.

just using aard instead is alot easier, because youre practically guaranteed at least one execution if you cast it on a group.

Thanks for the tip on the riposte. Surprisingly the next day when I came back to retry the wraiths bit, it was staggeringly easy. Axii never works for me in combat, but I was able to use Aard and Ignii and block and attack and dodge my way to victory. Basically I pwned the wraiths lol. I don't know what I was doing different but since then I have been kind of winning the fights relatively easily. Now that I also have my superb witcher's sword and need around 9 endrega teeth to make my Jagged steel sword, I am feeling quite confident...till I meet the Kayran that is...I hear that thing is a beast...literally!
Eh, the Kayran isn't too terrible. Takes a little bit of figuring out, but as long as you get the antidote and a swallow isn't too bad. Will probably take a few tries, but more just to figure out the fight than because it's particularly challenging.

Eh, the Kayran isn't too terrible. Takes a little bit of figuring out, but as long as you get the antidote and a swallow isn't too bad. Will probably take a few tries, but more just to figure out the fight than because it's particularly challenging.

I am gonna attempt using the trap on that bad boy. Problem is that elf keeps disappearing on me every time the sun comes out.

yea, i dunno what it is with axii, i never had a monster or a human fight for me in this game with it. with 2/2 in enhanced axii.

just using aard instead is alot easier, because youre practically guaranteed at least one execution if you cast it on a group.

I had same problem initially but then was told to HOLD the BUTTON :)
You will take over mind after few seconds and then it works ;)

I had same problem initially but then was told to HOLD the BUTTON :)
You will take over mind after few seconds and then it works ;)

Wow nice I gotta try that next time I am in a massive group fight. Anyway just got done beating the Kayran. It took me a few tries but once I figured out how it moves and stuff, it was not so bad.

lol man, so thats the secret! i actually started a new playthrough, im going to push the alchemy tree this time.

I am fighting Letho right now. That dude is burly! I really don't like the combat this time in Witcher especially against bosses because it is more of a dodging competition than anything else. Never once is there are a decent enough window to go on the offensive.

I am fighting Letho right now. That dude is burly! I really don't like the combat this time in Witcher especially against bosses because it is more of a dodging competition than anything else. Never once is there are a decent enough window to go on the offensive.

I had moments with him where I was doing 3-5 strikes offensive attacks. But after that it was back to running away :LOL:.

I've beat him on 2nd or 3rd attempt.

PS. Anyone has problem starting game on Steam after patch 1.3? It installs component but then not even launcher appears. I wonder if it's my windows or something else. Already tried full uninstall and reinstall, didn't work.

@Lightman: Show off. The AI is freaking tough on this one because he always uses Quen and Aard to such great effect not to mention his Ignii freaking explodes at the end! And my dude is SO underpowered it's pathetic. This game is TRULY unbalanced. I would still like to in my mind think that the developers just wanted to show how much of a badass the kingslayer is and that is why he is so overpowered the first time around. But still it's ridiculous. He is always always Quened up. I see no other way than making a bunch of grapeshot bombs and a bunch of throwing daggers and spamming him with them from afar before he can Quen himself up and then striking while h is a bit staggered. There is no a single moment where I can do 3-5 offensive strikes. 2 if I am lucky! Dude blocks like no one's business!

And with regards to the Steam problem I think you are not the only one who has that problem, the witcher site is full of people complaining about Steam and patching. So glad I went with the GOG route.

I beat Letho on my second try with no fancy pancy tactics. My friend used daggers and said it was really easy that way. I didn't throw a single dagger in the entire game. Maybe use Yrden and then hit him and run away when he is invincible. I used the 360 pad controller.

I beat Letho on my second try with no fancy pancy tactics. My friend used daggers and said it was really easy that way. I didn't throw a single dagger in the entire game. Maybe use Yrden and then hit him and run away when he is invincible. I used the 360 pad controller.

Good suggestions! I've used a bit of everything, few daggers (very effective), few bombs, a lot of spells and proper preparation before battle (steel sword +20% bleeding thing and 3 potions on Geralt).
Observe Letho's tactics - he fights and uses different signs when up close than from distance!

Good suggestions! I've used a bit of everything, few daggers (very effective), few bombs, a lot of spells and proper preparation before battle (steel sword +20% bleeding thing and 3 potions on Geralt).
Observe Letho's tactics - he fights and uses different signs when up close than from distance!

Yeah that's pretty much how I have been fighting in the game so far is by observing the bad guys and how they fight and move and what not. Problem is I have only played Letho for a very short time. I do have the Jagged blade but forgot to put any oil on it. So yeah I am going to redo that bit and see if I can't beat him tonight when I get home. It's frustrating at times but the fun outweighs the frustration :) Just wish this game had the 2 talent upgrade every time you gained a level like the last game. I am one of those people that just does not like the fact that there are level caps.

I'd rather be in control of dodging/parrying as opposed to the original game, where it was basically done for you. Personally, I think they greatly improved the combat system in the second Witcher, giving players more control over Geralt, instead of combat being set on autopilot. If you maintain enough distance from your enemies, it gives you enough opportunity to defend yourself, with blocking/casting signs/whatever.

I don't know which Letho encounter you're speaking of, unless it's your first fight with him. I haven't beaten the game yet, I assume you fight him in the end, again. On easy, you can basically kill him with your eyes closed. On normal, he tosses poison vials at you, which need to be dodged, and he has a shield up almost constantly, leaving you little time to get close enough to attack him. I'm replaying on hard and expect that fight to pose some difficulty. On both difficulties, you don't even drop his health to zero, rather he ports away at like 50%, or something, which seems to be a running theme with Witcher titles. I seem to remember the Professor doing the same thing in the original, a few times.

Thus far, the hardest fight I've encountered yet was killing the harpy queen in the finale of the second act. You're tasked with retrieving a dream from their lair, at which point like 20 harpies, and the queen, attack you. I must have set some sort of bizarre world record with deaths set on a single boss. The biggest issue with this fight is the ability to maintain distance from the mob. It's in a close-quarters atmosphere, leaving you little room to dodge, let alone a window to cast defensive signs.

I'd rather be in control of dodging/parrying as opposed to the original game, where it was basically done for you. Personally, I think they greatly improved the combat system in the second Witcher, giving players more control over Geralt, instead of combat being set on autopilot. If you maintain enough distance from your enemies, it gives you enough opportunity to defend yourself, with blocking/casting signs/whatever.

I don't know which Letho encounter you're speaking of, unless it's your first fight with him. I haven't beaten the game yet, I assume you fight him in the end, again. On easy, you can basically kill him with your eyes closed. On normal, he tosses poison vials at you, which need to be dodged, and he has a shield up almost constantly, leaving you little time to get close enough to attack him. I'm replaying on hard and expect that fight to pose some difficulty. On both difficulties, you don't even drop his health to zero, rather he ports away at like 50%, or something, which seems to be a running theme with Witcher titles. I seem to remember the Professor doing the same thing in the original, a few times.

Thus far, the hardest fight I've encountered yet was killing the harpy queen in the finale of the second act. You're tasked with retrieving a dream from their lair, at which point like 20 harpies, and the queen, attack you. I must have set some sort of bizarre world record with deaths set on a single boss. The biggest issue with this fight is the ability to maintain distance from the mob. It's in a close-quarters atmosphere, leaving you little room to dodge, let alone a window to cast defensive signs.

@spoiler - I guess somehow I've missed that quest! Can' remember that fight at all :oops:

Dresden did you have the ability to attack multiple targets maxed out by that point? I thought it worked really well in there.

That's the Swordsman talent called "Whirl," right? I believe so. During my current run through, if I spent more time working on side quests, I could probably open more talents in the tree, like Violence which comes a little later and increases crit, I believe. I kinda breezed through, not working on many monster contracts/side quests, so I should probably do it over.

Agreed Dresden I definitely like the challenge in this version of the game more than the first but it definitely is a bit getting used to. :)

It's a shame because there are only so many talents one can generate to upgrade their ability, because it seems that the MOST useful development path to follow is to develop Geralt's swordsmanship skills and then magic and then alchemy. But I am going for the impregnation ability right now and I want to max that out because I already have a bunch of greater mutagens that I want to use and increase the basic stats of my character.

Back