Windows tablets

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices and SoCs' started by eastmen, Mar 25, 2011.

1. ams

ams
    Regular

2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

So the more time that passes the more and more I think this will get a haswell chip.

Haswell is a 22nm intel cpu that introduces new power management

seems like others are thinking the same as me

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57486864-92/the-next-chapter-in-the-ultrabook-saga-haswell/

and it seems like intel is working with pc makers to have it ready by april to boost sales.

If you take the 3 months from win 8 launch which is late october it brings you into late January. So is it possible that intel would have a small number (1 million or so) ready in time for a Febuary launch of Surface pro. It puts it about 2 months earlier than other companys

http://legitreviews.com/news/13741/
    http://legitreviews.com/news/13682/

3. ams

ams
    Regular

The first generation Microsoft Surface Pro tablet will use Ivy Bridge. So we won't see Haswell in the Surface Pro until the second generation.

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

we will have to see. I don't believe that MS will launch with ivy bridge when haswell is 3 months out.

5. Laurent06

Regular

Didn't MS themselves said the Surface Pro would have an Ivy Bridge CPU?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2012/jun12/06-18announce.aspx
    As far as I know, third gen is Ivy Bridge, while Haswell is 4th gen.

6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

We will have to see what happens. Remember its already been a month since the surface was announced , I doubt Intel would want MS to announce they are getting haswel 3 months earlier than the rest of the partners half a year before the surface pro comes out.

It would make little sense for MS to launch such a huge project and part of thier future two months before haswell comes out. For that matter why would MS be delaying launch for 90 days if they are just going with ivy bridge , where is the advantage or reason for not launching in october ?

Perhaps like most laptops we will see chip options with the lowest configuration coming with ivybridge and the highest coming with haswell .

7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

8. Laurent06

Regular

9. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

we just have to wait and see. I don't like that the sony one doesn't have a detachable keyboard. Ido like thats its back lit

10. elroy

Regular

Yep, the Sony is ugly. Waiting to see exactly what MS, Asus, and Samsung bring to the table. The Asus Transformer Book looks VERY good.

11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I'm worrid about the asus line. The transformer prime was horribly made. I wouldn't even think about the windows 8 verison until a web site spends alot of time with it

12. elroy

Regular

Really?? What were the issues?? I've never used one, but everything I've read about it has been positive, save maybe the touchpad.

13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

The sd card wouldn't go flush into the system so it would stick out. Wifi was weak , when you used bluetooth wifi became even weaker. GPS didn't work right so they had to give everyone a dongle.

Anand went through 2 bad units before he got a good unit in terms of battery life.

I have the first transformer nad never had any issues , but stayed clear of the second one.

14. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I bought a transformer infinity + keyboard but it's going back. I love the form factor and keyboard, and the quality is good...love the full sized USB and micro hdmi out...but it cannot play videos with bluetooth audio in sync.

While wired headphones are fine, Bluetooth audio has a half second delay in all video player apps which is intolerable. BT audio is key for watching TV episodes while using exercise equipment. My iPad has no such issues so I'll likely just get a keyboard for that now.

The other wifi/Bluetooth issues on these things are a result of both sharing a single antenna.

#434 Mize, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  15. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Samsung Ativ smart pc tablet

Engadget hands on with the ativ dock

ATIV hands on with video

Samsung series 5 and 7

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/samsung-announces-series-5-slate-series-7-slate/

Sony

viao slider

Hands on/

Vaio Tap 20 hands on

Toshiba

U925T ultra book with slide out tablet/

Unreal engine 3 comes to windows RT

16. blakjedi

Veteran

How does Samsung plan on competing with the $199 surface with similar specs?

17. wco81

Legend

They'd be probably pissed that they made W8 tablets in that case.

18. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The rumored 199 USD for the Windows Surface is for the WinRT version. No active digitizer and hence no pen. Limited to Metro apps only for your average consumer.

Both Series 5 and Series 7 are Win8 x86/64. Both come with an active digitizer and pen. Limited to any application that will run on Windows. :p

So they are basically going after different demographics with some overlap.

Regards,
    SB

19. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Any legit battery tests for either platform yet (RT/Pro)?

20. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

no, this is the first time they are being shown to the public , even the surface wasn't allowed to be touched at the surface press event.

We wont see numbers until late october. I wouldn't think that battery life will be diffrent compared to the same hardware running andriod .