Windows tablets

Fairly heavy for a tablet device compared to what's out there.

I dunno its screen is 12.5 inches and it weighs 1.4kg /3lbs the ipad 3 is 9.7 inches and weighs 662kg/1.4lbs

However not only do you have to factor in a bigger screen but this is also a convertiable laptop and has a keyboard built in and added to the weight. We also don't know what cpu this has , past verisons of this have a core i3 in it so obviously they are going to have to have better cooling and a bigger battery.

For what it is , its not that bad . The 11 inch air is 2.38lbs and the 13 inch is 2.96lbs

I dunno its screen is 12.5 inches and it weighs 1.4kg /3lbs the ipad 3 is 9.7 inches and weighs 662kg/1.4lbs

However not only do you have to factor in a bigger screen but this is also a convertiable laptop and has a keyboard built in and added to the weight. We also don't know what cpu this has , past verisons of this have a core i3 in it so obviously they are going to have to have better cooling and a bigger battery.

For what it is , its not that bad . The 11 inch air is 2.38lbs and the 13 inch is 2.96lbs

I think I'd like it to be detachable ala the Transformer to where if you didn't want the keyboard for tablet use, it would be functional. For regular laptop type use, you could dock it to the keyboard and hopefully get a battery and performance boost.

you'd get the best of both worlds when you want to.

i think but i'm not sure that the second dell one does exactly that.

Also the acer iconia w500 did what you wanted last year so i see no reason why some one come out like that. The good thing about andriod and win 8 is the choices you get. With apple it really is just a single choice

i think but i'm not sure that the second dell one does exactly that.

Also the acer iconia w500 did what you wanted last year so i see no reason why some one come out like that. The good thing about andriod and win 8 is the choices you get. With apple it really is just a single choice

True.

I like the android platform, but I want something fully compatible with all my windows stuff. A win 8 tablet would fit the bill perfectly if they can also get the performance and battery life right.

So far, I like what I see.

I agree , I've said before my laptop is a dual core 1.6ghz neo with a radeon hd3200 and a hd4330.

I'm hoping either this fall or early 2013 amd has a dual core jaguar close to 2ghz with GCN . I think that be great for a tablet. The c-50 can already play most games at lower resolutions and the e-350 in my media center is great for video playaback , so it make a great tablet.

We also don't know what cpu this has , past verisons of this have a core i3 in it so obviously they are going to have to have better cooling and a bigger battery.

With no doubt the Dell XPS 12 is Core based. Smart Connect and Rapid Start are Core exclusive technologies. Actually they already exist in Ultrabooks and XPS 12 is one of two or so dozen convertibles.

ULV Ivy Bridge launch is near, and we already got some interesting information regarding it. It supports user configurable TDP, and has at least 16W and 13W modes supported. The 13W mode doesn't seem to lower performance that much. In Anandtech's review the 13W TDP lowered multithreaded cinebench score only from 2.79 to 2.67 (4.3%). That's on par with the 17W Sandy Bridge score. Not bad from a chip that consumes 4W less, and has a much faster GPU to boot.

It's fun to notice how fast computers have developed lately. I am still happy with my old desktop that has Core 2 Quad + 4 GB of RAM + 128 GB SSD. If you look at the CPU benchmark scores of these new 17W Sandy Bridges (or 13W Ivy Bridges), the scores are most of the part equal or even faster compared to my old quad core high end desktop. Of course my 5850 Radeon still demolishes these one kilogram flyweight computers in GPU demanding games, but surprisingly most console ports run well on these 13W/17W chips (720p, 30 fps, console quality low details). It will be interesting to see how Apple responds to these new threats. If the price of these Ivy Bridge tablets will be 1200$+ (like the Sandy Bridge based Samsung Slate), I don't think there's much for Apple to worry about :)

ULV Ivy Bridge launch is near, and we already got some interesting information regarding it. It supports user configurable TDP, and has at least 16W and 13W modes supported. The 13W mode doesn't seem to lower performance that much. In Anandtech's review the 13W TDP lowered multithreaded cinebench score only from 2.79 to 2.67 (4.3%). That's on par with the 17W Sandy Bridge score. Not bad from a chip that consumes 4W less, and has a much faster GPU to boot.

It's fun to notice how fast computers have developed lately. I am still happy with my old desktop that has Core 2 Quad + 4 GB of RAM + 128 GB SSD. If you look at the CPU benchmark scores of these new 17W Sandy Bridges (or 13W Ivy Bridges), the scores are most of the part equal or even faster compared to my old quad core high end desktop. Of course my 5850 Radeon still demolishes these one kilogram flyweight computers in GPU demanding games, but surprisingly most console ports run well on these 13W/17W chips (720p, 30 fps, console quality low details). It will be interesting to see how Apple responds to these new threats. If the price of these Ivy Bridge tablets will be 1200$+ (like the Sandy Bridge based Samsung Slate), I don't think there's much for Apple to worry about :)

Pretty sure a huge chunk of that price is the CPU and SSD. The CPU itself is probably $200-250, and the SSD was probably $200 as well when it first was released. ARM chips cost $25, and I think most ARM tablets will ship with 32GB of storage. I expect ARM tablets to be competitively priced at $499 with some even dipping into $399 with 16GB of storage and a really low end CPU.

I will probably be looking for something in the sub $850 price range.
Here's hoping that is reasonable for something with high performance and a little future proof as well.

13W TDP lowered multithreaded cinebench score only from 2.79 to 2.67 (4.3%). That's on par with the 17W Sandy Bridge score. Not bad from a chip that consumes 4W less, and has a much faster GPU to boot.

17W Sandy Bridge chips get nowhere near 2.6 points. That's actually almost on par with top 35W Sandy Bridge chip scores.

But we should still expect drops to be greater than Anandtech review has shown. I'm expecting somewhere around 10%.

So today was a big day

ACER

Iconia W700

That first flavor packs a relatively massive 11.6-inch full HD (1920 x 1080) display with touch support for up to 10 fingers, and ships with a cradle that positions the device at 70 degrees for landscape viewing or 20 degrees for touch use. It offers more than 8 hours of battery life and also includes a trio of USB 3.0 ports, along with Dolby Home Theater for enhanced audio. Acer appears to be marketing the W700 as a "desktop replacement" when paired with a cradle and keyboard. Unlike the W510, the dock is only used to hold and position the device -- you'll need to use Bluetooth to add an external keyboard. The tablet includes a bevy of connectivity options, including Thunderbolt, micro HDMI, USB 3.0 and a power jack on the left side, a pair of red-grilled speakers on the bottom, and a power button, headphone jack and volume rocker on the right. There's also a five-megapixel autofocus camera and microphone on the rear, and a Windows key and front-facing camera flanking the large, high-res display.

Iconia W510

The Iconia W510 includes a 10.1-inch IPS display and a detachable chiclet keyboard dock that doubles as an extended battery, enabling up to 18 hours of use. You can also rotate the device 295 degrees for presentations -- assuming you're lecturing a small group and not a packed auditorium, of course. On the bottom, there's a docking port and latch, speakers on each side, a SIM card slot, microSD, micro-USB and HDMI ports, followed by a volume rocker and microphone on the right, along with a power button, lock toggle and headphone jack up top. The dock itself includes a full-size USB 2.0 port on the right hand side and a proprietary connector on the left. Both the tablet and dock are very thin and light, and offer very responsive performance -- no qualms there. Sadly, there's no detailed specs, pricing and availability to speak of just yet -- we're hoping to see that hit later in the week. For a closer look, hop over to our pair of hands-on videos just past the break.

ASUS

600 series

Like any Android-powered Transformer, the 600 packs a quad-core Tegra 3 chip, except it has twice the RAM (2GB). At the center of it all is a 10.1-inch, 600-nit, 1366 x 768 Super IPS+ display with viewing angles similar to what you'll find on current Transformer tablets. Around back, it has an auto-focusing 8-megapixel camera with an LED flash, complemented by a 2-megapixel shooter up front. Other specs include WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and your usual array of sensors, including GPS, a gyroscope, e-compass and, last but not least, NFC.

810 Series

Moving on, the 810 features an unspecified Intel Medfield CPU with 2GB of RAM. Like the 600, it has a Super IPS+ display with 1366 x 768 resolution, only the panel here is a bit larger, measuring 11.6 inches. What's more, this guy makes use of a Wacom dual digitizer, allowing for both pen and finger input.

TACHI Series

Two displays in one tablet? Yes you can. ASUS' new TAICHI series packs displays on both the front and the rear, letting you use the device in a variety of configurations. In 'notebook' mode, you can use TAICHI with a backlit QWERTY keyboard and trackpad. Once you close the lid, however, it's stylus time. TAICHI includes Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7 processors, 4 gigs of RAM, SSD storage, dual-band 802.11n WiFi, FHD/Super IPS+ displays and, naturally, dual cameras. Despite the display duo, both the 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch configurations are reportedly as thin and light as the Zenbook line. Both variants will offer 1920 x 1080 pixels on each side, and displays can be used independently, so you can even share the device with a friend -- with completely different content on each LCD.

Transformer Books

if you were wondering which side of the laptop / tablet hybrid fence these fall onto, that should clear it up for you. Another sign these are notebooks first and tabs second? Look no further than the large screen sizes: 11.6, 13 and 14 inches. As mentioned, they pack laptop-grade chips to match, including a Core i7 Ivy Bridge processor, backed by discrete graphics. Storage options include SSDs and traditional hard drives, and we're told these lappies can accommodate up to 4GB of RAM.

SAMSUNG

SERIES 5

The Hybrid is rated for 10 hours of battery life and has a pair of 2- and 8-megapixel cameras. It also supports pen input, and will come bundled with the same S-Pen and S-Memo software used on the Galaxy Note 10.1 (but modified for Windows, of course). This might be a good time to clarify that unlike the 10.1 (or any other Galaxy Tab, for that matter), this is not an ARM-based slate, but rather, an X86 PC. This means, of course, that it runs full Windows 8, and not just the RT version. As it happens, Engadget had the chance to check out a prototype in advance of the launch, and it was running a two-watt Intel Clover Trail CPU. At the time, a Samsung rep told us the company was considering an ultra low voltage notebook-grade processor. Other possible specs: a 1080p display option, with some lower, unspecified resolution offered as well. Lastly, the early model we saw had a USIM slot, a microSD reader and a Superspeed USB port. Keep in mind, though, that all these details are subject to change.

Lenovo

ThinkPad

Though Lenovo won't say much about specs, we do know it's running some unspecified Intel Clover Trail processor, and the battery is expected to max out at 10-plus hours on a charge. Taking a tour around the device, we may as well begin with that 10.1-inch screen, whose 1366 x 768 resolution seems pretty standard for a Windows 8 tablet of this size. On board, you'll also find a pair of 2- and 8-megapixel cameras, as well as micro-HDMI and a docking connector, which suggests some peripherals are on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very interested in the w510 . If it uses a brazos 2 or even some form of trinity it will be a no brainer for me , if its using something from intel then i will have to pass as it wont run the games i'd want.

The Tachi's are interesting but i'd be freaked out about scratching the top screen. The others are all way to big from what i'd want out of a tablet.

I'm very interested in the w510 . If it uses a brazos 2 or even some form of trinity it will be a no brainer for me , if its using something from intel then i will have to pass as it wont run the games i'd want.

The Tachi's are interesting but i'd be freaked out about scratching the top screen. The others are all way to big from what i'd want out of a tablet.

Is this what you're looking for?

Though this is using the 18W E-series at 1.8GHz, not the lower-power 4W C-series version.
I'd say it's very likely we'll see the C-series in thin 10.1" tablets.

Looks nice , i wonder what battery life will be. They also have a compal A6 trinity tablet but the huge heat vents scared me away. The real problem is that it doesn't have any makers. Compal is exactly what in the united states ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Compal is exactly what in the united states ?
An ODM for several companies whose brand presence you've probably heard of. Like they are pretty much everywhere else. If that thing is destined for market, and not just for attracting bigger customers by presenting a workable design, it'll probably be available from some of the smaller "custom notebooks" outfits selling under their own name.

Back