Windows tablets

Disappointed?

AMZN reached an all time high as they were doing their briefing.

We'll have to wait for reviews and see what their sales look like, especially after Xmas.

I think Apple may have a hard time if they come out with the rumored iPad Mini at anything over $250 for a 7.85 inch, 1024x768, 16 GB tablet.

I'm not a fan of ad supported devices with limited storage space . The only interesting tablet was the $500 one and its way to over priced for what it is.

everyone has diffrent wants however. I think barnes and noble will have the better tablet at the better price once again.

Where did you read that ?

Latest info puts Haswell in Q2

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012071001_Launch_schedule_of_Intel_Haswell_processors.html

Quad core GT2: April 2013
Quad core GT3 mobile: March 2013
ULT: June-August 2013

Here's another: http://translate.google.ca/translat...a=X&ei=TllJUK2RLeyVjAKP4YGIAQ&ved=0CCYQ7gEwAA

Introduced in the second quarter of 2013 as the first quad-core version of the first SV. Dual-core version of the ULT, Haswell chip version 1.0 will be invested in other words in the third quarter of 2013 quarter from behind it. SV dual-core version is expected to be in the fourth quarter of 2013 and then after one quarter.

Quad core SV: 2nd quarter 2013
Dual core ULT: 3rd quarter 2013
Dual core SV: 4th quarter 2013

The thing is, Ivy Bridge based Ultrabooks only started being available little after Computex. It was mid to end July.

IF we go by your second link , second quarter starts in April . A febuary surface pro release with haswell isn't out of the picture if intel does a special run for MS.

Guess we will see in a few days though

IF we go by your second link , second quarter starts in April . A febuary surface pro release with haswell isn't out of the picture if intel does a special run for MS.

Guess we will see in a few days though

Highly doubt that. You should look into release dates of many CPUs and GPUs and see how many have exceeded their dates. In this industry, its almost always "on-time" to "later". It's never early, unless its like special circumstance like with Prescott and Core 2(1. Intel didn't redesign from the ground up, since mobile version were in plans, and desktop chips were merely scaled up 2. They were in serious trouble).

By looking at normal voltage chips, you are far closer. But ULT chips are coming in July or later. That would mean not a 2 months early chip, but a 4-6 months early one. Again, not going to happen.

This is the second chip on intel's 22nm so there shouldn't be any process problems and intel has already met with a bunch of its partners to insure a fast roll out.

Only what 4-7 days before we find out at this point .

would be nice esp if its got adjustable TDP . You coudl move up to 17watts when you need more horse power and back down when your just web surfing

If you were to design a tablet for adjustible TDP you'd have to design the chassis for max TDP anyway so you can't get the same benefits of a lower fixed TDP design like thinner chassis.

If you were to design a tablet for adjustible TDP you'd have to design the chassis for max TDP anyway so you can't get the same benefits of a lower fixed TDP design like thinner chassis.

battery life is more important than thickness to me.

Why?

You are designing the tablet. You control the entire thing. Just limit the TDP to the level your chasis will support.

battery life is more important than thickness to me.

It's not about what you as an individual wants, it's about what the target market wants. If the manufacturer thinks a $500 1 inch thick tablet that has a 6 hr battery running at Max TDP is not marketable they won't make it.

Why?

You are designing the tablet. You control the entire thing. Just limit the TDP to the level your chasis will support.

I was responding to the notion that the upper limit would be Max TDP of the chip itself....not what TDP it has to be restricted to in order to fit into a certain chassis size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can these compete on price with the $200 tablets?

If MS subsidizes the RT Surface to compete on price with Kindle and Nexus 7, not to mention why iPad Mini may be priced at, is there going to be any breathing room for the OEMs?

How much does the inclusion of win8 actually cost an OEM? $30 maybe? Do you have some reason to expect windows branded hardware to be more expensive?

However I'm unaware of any 7" windows surface tablets announced so I wouldn't expect them to compete with 7" devices.

The only interesting tablet was the $500 one and its way to over priced for what it is.
Overpriced? It's a freakin bargain. Where else are you going to get 250MB/mo of 4G for only $50/yr? As long as you do your major downloads on WiFi, that's plenty. On any other comparable tablet, you're out $1000+ after only two years instead of $600.

I actually think Amazon is doing themselves a disservice with that plan. They should sell it for $199 on a two year, $20/mo contract. They'll make more money and it'll look cheaper.

Well at least it's only $50 a year.

Who knows if it's even SIM unlocked so you can use it on overseas trips?

Whats the point in having a 4g connection if you got a 250mb data cap?
Sounds like a killer deal to me. Good enough for doing your emergency RSS reading and email. It's hard to find a place in the US that doesn't have wifi, so the 4G is only needed for those rare cases where you don't, without having to pay $30 for just a month.

Back