Mysterious crashes on a computer whose components all seem fine

Id suggest removing the driver and disabling onboard graphics in the bios - would be the better option

I've suggested that, but no respond to that, so i assume its a laptop that have no option to disable iGPU. As most Nvidia x Intel laptop doesn't allow intel GPU to be disabled because both iGPU and dGPU were married pretty close in some aspects.

I've suggested that, but no respond to that, so i assume its a laptop that have no option to disable iGPU. As most Nvidia x Intel laptop doesn't allow intel GPU to be disabled because both iGPU and dGPU were married pretty close in some aspects.

Id suggest removing the driver and disabling onboard graphics in the bios - would be the better option

I need to take another look at the BIOS but aren't displays connected to iGPUs on laptops?

I think we have a solid lead now: disabling Turbo enabled the computer to run games for a few hours, until it finally crashed. This is still annoying, of course, but a big improvement over the few minutes it used to last. Still, it's hard to say whether the CPU itself is at fault, or the motherboard is screwing with it somehow.

Perhaps the CPU VRMs not coping with higher frequencies? If that happens to be the case there's not much you could do I guess with a limited BIOS.

Wouldn't this trigger crashes in OCCT? Or do you reckon the CPU throttles so that it avoids them?

Could the power brick be going bad and not supplying enough power?

yep. And if it doesn't fix it,
Also could be the battery too.

So try a different power brick while the battery is disconnected from the motherboard

If the power supply were somehow insufficient, wouldn't the laptop just drain the battery?

Wouldn't this trigger crashes in OCCT? Or do you reckon the CPU throttles so that it avoids them?

If the power supply were somehow insufficient, wouldn't the laptop just drain the battery?
Depends on what is deficient. feeding the rails improperly could lead to crashing. Or more power draw than the PSU can handle under stress can cause brown outs on a rail causing crashing.

Depends on what is deficient. feeding the rails improperly could lead to crashing. Or more power draw than the PSU can handle under stress can cause brown outs on a rail causing crashing.

Then it could be useful to unplug the laptop and test it running from the battery, couldn't it? We'd need to make sure it runs on the same performance profile, though.

Back