Windows 7

As I understand it the drivers you need would be for your bluetooth radio. If there is a driver problem it's not something the maker of the headset can fix. It's a standard function the bluetooth receiver drivers should load.

With some more reading, the problem is once again the Windows bluetooth stack. I have a drive for my radio and I can pair bluetooth devices and most work. For some reason the Windows bluetooth stack has issues with that headset. If my radio used one of the other bluetooth stacks it would work fine. Couldn't use the headset with XP because the XP stack did not support any headsets. Now there is some other feature on this headset that the Windows Vista/7 stack does not support.

Found another game that doesnt work btw. Cryostasis. Best part about it that it will crash your explorer as soon as you enter the disk and want to explore it. You dont even have to click a file for it...

Also I hate the games explorer. Why cant I rename or delete some shortcuts? Seriously can anybody give me even a half decent reason why you shouldnt be allowed to do so? Not to mention that out of all games I installed only 1 got automatically added.

I'm kinda pissed off at the 'upgrade anytime' program. When you start it, it tells you that an upgrade to Professional from Home Premium costs 89$ US.

So I figured what the heck, filled in all the details about my personalia and residence details, only to be presented with a final price of EUR 180. That's about 270$, wtf!

Also I hate the games explorer. Why cant I rename or delete some shortcuts? Seriously can anybody give me even a half decent reason why you shouldnt be allowed to do so? Not to mention that out of all games I installed only 1 got automatically added.

Use the Games "program group": the games explorer will follow suite. Same problem as Vista's games explorer. You get the feeling MS just wants to sell xboxes. That's why I use Games Explorer Editor.

I'm kinda pissed off at the 'upgrade anytime' program. When you start it, it tells you that an upgrade to Professional from Home Premium costs 89$ US.

So I figured what the heck, filled in all the details about my personalia and residence details, only to be presented with a final price of EUR 180. That's about 270$, wtf!

You giving money to MS? Who are you and what have you done with the real Florin?? If you got two prices I'd screenshot and mail MS, maybe they'll send you a complimentary copy. :)

Got the student discount of W7 Pro 64bit and was able to create an ISO, so wish me luck.

Going to dual boot with XP 32bit.

The next time I post it will be through W7.

See ya'll in a few (days :LOL: )

okay, up and running, but I think I botched the dual boot thing with XP. I'm afraid to reboot.

But get this, right when Windows 7 was doing reboot during set up, what happens? Computer turns off and when I turn it back on the Bios settings message appeared (got a low ass battery). That part sucked.

If you installed XP first (or had it pre-installed), Windows 7 later there shouldn't be any way to screw it up

Found another game that doesnt work btw. Cryostasis. Best part about it that it will crash your explorer as soon as you enter the disk and want to explore it. You dont even have to click a file for it...

Does the game setup work though? On insert sounds like some autorun flash intro panel causing problems. Can you browse to the CD files and run the setup then play the game OK?

Use the Games "program group": the games explorer will follow suite. Same problem as Vista's games explorer. You get the feeling MS just wants to sell xboxes.

Tell me about it. The sheer level of incompetence that must have went in to writing that bit of code staggers me. If some random guy can make a vastly superior version working in his spare time with none of microsofts resources or knowledge behind him then WTF were MS playing at to release it in such a state. It would have been better to have no games explorer at all. As it stands its more of an insult than an benefit.

Cheers, I'll give that a try. I started using registry hacks in Vista with very limited success and eventually gave up, hopefully this will get my Win7 explorer into a useable state.

Does the game setup work though? On insert sounds like some autorun flash intro panel causing problems. Can you browse to the CD files and run the setup then play the game OK?

If I want to browse the cd it will crash explorer, same goes if I use the autoplay. SO its really weird, I dont see a reason why it should crash when just browsing the cd, it even crashes without opening any files on the cd.

anyone having any colour palette issues when going full screen on "older" games?

for example master of orion 2
or even dos box, runs fine in a window but as soon as i go full screen the colour palette is wrong. i had to download a beta compile with D3D support to allow full screen to work.

im running X64, I7, 4870.

cheers

anyone having any colour palette issues when going full screen on "older" games?

for example master of orion 2
or even dos box, runs fine in a window but as soon as i go full screen the colour palette is wrong. i had to download a beta compile with D3D support to allow full screen to work.

im running X64, I7, 4870.

cheers

I'm running Ultima IV with no issues :-?

Well, updated to Windows 7 from Vista and so far, I must say Vista is a far better platform.

The UI changes I can mostly get used to and some things are nice (the hover to view desktop for instance). But there are just some mind boggling decisions about useability features, or lack thereof.

For instance who in their right mind though it'd be a good idea to not allow the Explorer status bar to display space remaining on a drive? Really, who was the dumbass that thought of that? It could be argued that not many may have used it but if it was working just peachy before why in the fuck do you remove it?

Likewise removing column headers for easy sorting in any view other than detailed? What "UI" moron thought of that?

Not being able to customize the left hand pane to remove favorites, libraries and homegroup? Oh it's all in the holy grail of useability. WTF? Allowing a user to remove unneeded dross is anti-useability?

And it isn't even like Win7 is faster than Vista. At least not that I've noticed. Then again Vista was never slower than XP for me. Guess I just never had hardware without Vista optimized drivers.

I do like that media playback is MUCH better on a default Win7 install however.

But seriously, no drive space remaining display in the status bar of Explorer? Microsoft needs to fire their UI guys...

I think I'll be keeping the rest of my machines on Vista.

Edit - Gah, and WMP 12 took a turn for the worse. I kinda like WMP 11, but hate how WMP 12 overlays controls over the video when in a window. That's annoying as all hell. And once again no option to have it done the traditional way with controls as part of the window frame. What's up with this whole no options kick they are on?

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
valid points. You are right that Vista has some advantages. Both have rather annoying UIs, and that they're not more customizable is really disappointing.

WMP 12 took a turn for the worse. I kinda like WMP 11, but hate how WMP 12 overlays controls over the video when in a window.
Not for me, no overlayed video. But I use "Skin" mode, not "Library".

no drive space remaining display in the status bar of Explorer?
I have drive space remaining in my status bar.

I customize things so maybe I somehow enabled that. I don't use tweakers and I haven't reg edited so it must be a folder setting.

Edit: Oops, it's only in the status bar when I click select a drive from within Computer. When navigating a drive it's absent. Is that what you mean?

I just got information that the payment for shipping the upgrade disc has been deducted from my creditcard. So next it's time to wait for the email that confirms the actual shipping, and then we'll see how long it actually takes to get here.

There was an interesting article on I think a Dutch newssite about the payment (something like $14,80) for shipping, which varies wildly among different companies. For instance at the store I bought it, I bought an Acer and this is what Acer has decided to pay. If I had bought a store branded PC (Paradigit) then I would have been able to get the disc for free from the store instead. Other brands charge double the shipping costs (i.e. $28).

A little irritatingly, a colleague's wife's father works at Microsoft and so he gets the full version of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bits for about the same price ($17). :rolleyes::LOL: Ah well.

Not for me, no overlayed video. But I use "Skin" mode, not "Library".

Woo, thanks a lot. That got it back to how I like it. :) Guess I was so frustrated about some of the other things that I just didn't notice I could put it into skin mode.

Edit: Oops, it's only in the status bar when I click select a drive from within Computer. When navigating a drive it's absent. Is that what you mean?

Yup. Additionally, when moving/copying many files of different types it won't tell you how much space it takes up without clicking on "Show more details..." What the hell is the point of that? It works fine with up to 14-15 files of the same type. What's the point of suddenly requiring that you have to click on "Show more details..."

Makes absolutely no bloody sense. Sigh. So far, I think Vista 64 is the best MS OS released this decade. But that said, there's still some nice additions in Win7, they just happened to be overwhelmed (at least for me) by some of the idiotic things they've chosen to do.

Regards,
SB

For instance who in their right mind though it'd be a good idea to not allow the Explorer status bar to display space remaining on a drive?

Agreed. I don't use the status bar myself but I agree with you that they should have left in that feature.

Likewise removing column headers for easy sorting in any view other than detailed? What "UI" moron thought of that?

One of my pet peeves about Win7 also. Usability-wise, definitely the worse regression from Vista.

Not being able to customize the left hand pane to remove favorites, libraries and homegroup?

Also miss this from Vista where I only had Favourites visible and I even used a custom Aero skin that was very close to the original except it hid the word "Favourites" and the "Folders" pull-up botton so you had a cleaner nav bar with just your shortcuts.

And it isn't even like Win7 is faster than Vista. At least not that I've noticed. Then again Vista was never slower than XP for me. Guess I just never had hardware without Vista optimized drivers.

For me Win7 is faster but not by a whole lot. The performance increase is mostly noticeable in background tasks where, in Vista, it would take around 5 mins after boot before I got silky smooth computing whereas in Win7 it's after 30 secs. But yeah, boot, shutdown, etc. not a huge improvement there.

Edit - Gah, and WMP 12 took a turn for the worse. I kinda like WMP 11, but hate how WMP 12 overlays controls over the video when in a window. That's annoying as all hell. And once again no option to have it done the traditional way with controls as part of the window frame. What's up with this whole no options kick they are on?

I've been using the Zune software as my media manager/player for a while now. Don't think I've ever used WMP 10/11/12 so I can't say.

Additionally, when moving/copying many files of different types it won't tell you how much space it takes up without clicking on "Show more details..." What the hell is the point of that? It works fine with up to 14-15 files of the same type. What's the point of suddenly requiring that you have to click on "Show more details..."

You too? I hate that. End-result for me is that the details bar on the bottom is now strictly used when I want to edit meta-data wherea before it was a better status bar. I wish I could reduce its size to lower than "Small" at least.

So far, I think Vista 64 is the best MS OS released this decade.

No way. That'd be Windows 2000, if you take a programmer's view of where to start counting :). Vista, architecturally is a major milestone but it's mired by performance, compatibility and moronic UI decisions to be better than either of the Windows 5.x versions at release time.

Back