Windows 11 [2021]

Apparently Windows 10 gets that too.
Not everything, storage stack optimizations for DirectStorage are present only on Win11
Storage stack optimizations: On Windows 11, this consists of an upgraded OS storage stack that unlocks the full potential of DirectStorage, and on Windows 10, games will still benefit from the more efficient use of the legacy OS storage stack

Question is how much difference will the Win11 storage stack optimizations make vs Win10 Direct Storage performance? A consistent, minimum 20% performance increase across the board?
Maybe then I'd consider this feature worth considering as one reason to upgrade.

It’s possible the scripts runs with MingW but MingW still has some compatibility issues and since there’s WSL now I guess it’s easier to just use WSL.

I was faffing around with making VMs in Hyper-V Manager & decided to install the 'Windows 11 dev environment' VM.
I don't like it -> deleted.
There are some bits that seem to be improvements over Win10 & some of the changes I could live with but generally it left a bitter Win8 taste.

It will be interesting to see how much they backpedal on the UI. As usual. lol

Yeah, it's absolutely bizarre how hard they are trying to make the UI into MacOS with no options to make things more like traditional Windows. It's not like the majority of Windows users wanted a MacOS like UI, otherwise they'd probably be using a Mac. So, it's like they are deliberately attempting to piss off as many Windows users as they can because for some reason they want less people using the OS. It's absolutely bizarre.

There's no technical reason that they couldn't still have an expandable task bar that can still be pinned on any side of the display. I have a hard time trying to convince myself to upgrade to Windows 11 without having the ability to expand the taskbar to multiple rows.

Regards,
SB

Yeah I don't know. I understand that changes can be good but they remove things that were useful and they reduce flexibility. And they seem to rush it all out the door before it's baked. Maybe because it's all reactionary within the company.

Last edited:
Back