Windows 11 [2021]

Has anyone been offered the W11 upgrade yet? Assuming they will have a very staggered rollout prioritizing newer hardware first. Mine says:

I got it on my main gaming pc (3900x/2080ti/nvme), but one of my laptops (2700u) didnt meet the hardware requirements due to the processor. Theres a work around i might try.
Loving W11 so far, its hardware requirements are somewhat high maybe but that atleast drives more people to upgrade and moves even more hardware. More adoption to ssd/nvme is needed in the pc space i think.

Today marks the 7th day of running Windows 11 on the gaming rig. To be honest, after I figured out how to left-justify the start menu icons ( ;) ) I haven't noticed any real changes from Windows 10. The only nuisance I've bumped into is somehow Edge has stopped allowing me to download plugins from the Microsoft Edge Plugin page. I haven't figured out WTF is with that, however I've honestly spent all of about 90 seconds working on it and then just gave up because it wasn't really important anyway.

but one of my laptops (2700u) didnt meet the hardware requirements due to the processor.
It's my understanding that only Zen+ meets the requirements, whereas 2700U is based on the original Zen architecture. My 2600X meets the minimum specs.

Which things are you wishing for OrangePelupa? I know I miss the full backup functionality...

What's this?

Windows® 11 Performance Variation in Certain Applications on Compatible AMD Processors
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

So what are the tangible benefits of Win11 at the moment? I think it will be pretty much a necessity for the upcoming 12th gen Intel processors with their hybrid architecture? Or will Win10 be updated for that?

I suppose I should get it up and running to learn how to use it.

What's this?

Windows® 11 Performance Variation in Certain Applications on Compatible AMD Processors
Interesting yet nothing new in the grand scheme of Windows core scheduling history. Just like prior history, both issues have fixes already in the pipeline for this month. This seems like a relative non-issue to me.

So what are the tangible benefits of Win11 at the moment? I think it will be pretty much a necessity for the upcoming 12th gen Intel processors with their hybrid architecture? Or will Win10 be updated for that?

I suppose I should get it up and running to learn how to use it.
The only real upswing with Win11 is all the additional focus on a layered, hardware-enforced security model, at least some of which is going to be bypassed by folks disabling the attestation component as a function of TPM 2.0. I realize not many people "care" about desktop security, as if it were something that either just happens or it doesn't. I believe it to be a worthy cause and have turned on the additional optional layers of protection of my own volition (and had them turned on with Windows 10, too.)

For the general consumer using modern supported hardware, it's going to look and perform near-identically to Windows 10.

What's this?

67521431.jpg

:runaway:

Seriously though: I still feel that AMD should actually have their firmware report the appropriate NUMA structure so that a scheduler built to auto-schedule based on reported NUMA structure might do it properly automatically.

That said if the UEFI preferred core isn't being properly detected it sounds like an MS side issue. (unless AMD isn't properly reporting that also?)

Which things are you wishing for OrangePelupa? I know I miss the full backup functionality...

Do you mean this windows 7 backup? its still on W11

upload_2021-10-7_13-55-23.png

a few i remembered off-hand that's still missing
- taskbar position now locked to bottom
- quick instant search by typing to uninstall apps (now need to use the search box that's not instant)
- customisable power profiles (now just 3 options: balanced, battery, performance)

- taskbar position now locked to bottom
- quick instant search by typing to uninstall apps (now need to use the search box that's not instant)
First is apparently permanent.
What do you mean you have to use search box which isn't instant? Press windows key and write like before?

I can't understand wtf MS is thinking with this, its Windows 8 level not caring for PC users and it makes me really inclined to skip Win11.

Personally I keep it locked on bottom in single row (with grouping off because I want to switch window with 1 move & click) but I know of lots of people who use it on side or need multiple rows & I can get away with it in part because I have high resolution -> plenty of taskbar width.
I'd probably need 2 rows if I was stuck on a single, low-res monitor.

The only reason I installed Windows 11 is to use AutoHDR (which, unfortunately, should be able to run perfectly well under Windows 10, except that Microsoft wanted to use it as an incentive to upgrade...)
Other "security features" are mostly already in Windows 10.

Yeah AutoHDR seems like the killer feature but really should have been put into Win10 & its not enough for me to want to live with other BS for.

I can't understand wtf MS is thinking with this, its Windows 8 level not caring for PC users and it makes me really inclined to skip Win11.

Personally I keep it locked on bottom in single row (with grouping off because I want to switch window with 1 move & click) but I know of lots of people who use it on side or need multiple rows & I can get away with it in part because I have high resolution -> plenty of taskbar width.
I'd probably need 2 rows if I was stuck on a single, low-res monitor.
Pretty sure even MS doesn't really understand why they did it. I'm one of those who used it on the side and I'm seriously considering going to therapy due this change

What do you mean you have to use search box which isn't instant? Press windows key and write like before?
in windows 10 (and older windowses), there's a control panel menu on start to uninstall stuff. In this menu, i can simply type "adobe" and it will instantly highlight adobe. I also can use the search box to search waaaaaaaaaay slower (like needing 2-3 seconds to minutes, depending on luck).

In windows 11, this control panel menu is gone from start.
so if using start and type uninstall, it only shows the modern uninstall menu. That requires me to use a search box to search for apps (it would take seconds to find apps). The instant search is gone

to use the control panel uninstall menu, i need to open it by opening control panel first. Or by typing the app name in start, right click, click uninstall, then it opens the control panel uninstall menu, and then i type the app name again (instant search work) and then uninstall.

btw writing this makes me remember.
  • Windows 11 removed the right click menu on taskbar to launch task manager among other stuff. Now its only on the windows/start icon.

Back