Will Metal Gear 4 really run at 1080p 60fps

it's a pity Sony & Nvidia limited RSX to 8 ROPs,
128-bit bus (okay 2x 128-bit busses but only one directly to graphics memory) and no EDRAM.

So what if only one goes to the graphics ram? Can't both be used for graphics?. But the one to the Cell having a little bit of a latency hit?.

So what if only one goes to the graphics ram? Can't both be used for graphics?. But the one to the Cell having a little bit of a latency hit?.

Ye, but then you need some for the OS - and more importantly - rest of the game. Graphics isn't the only thing needing memory in a game, so giving gfx portion of the XDR (or whatever the one connected to Cell was) means cutting it off from something else in the game

Am I confused, or haven't all of the videos and screenshots of the game always been 1280x720? Doesn't that make this whole discussion moot?

Am I confused, or haven't all of the videos and screenshots of the game always been 1280x720? Doesn't that make this whole discussion moot?
I think a long time ago Konami (or an over-enthusiastic game site?) claimed the game would be 1080P but all the screens were 720P. I'd be much more excited for 60 fps personally with all the good animations in this game.

Yes, RSX can also access the CELL's XDR RAM, but not directly. AFAIK.

RSX has to go through CELL to do it. there's a large penalty of latency from what I read. Not only that, it takes away from CELL's bandwidth.

I wouldn't be surprised if the final game is 720p @ 30fps.

I doubt MGS4 will be 60fps. I doubt it'll be 1080p.

I doubt even more that MGS4 will be both 1080p AND 60fps. look what happened to Lair.

A little off subject but wasn't the target for Wardevil suppose to be 1080P 60fps, I wonder whats happening with that project?

Whatever they're aiming for, the last playable demo I saw (CES2008) was a bit unstable in terms of framerate. It definitely seems like 60fps at times, but like previous in-game cutscenes and gameplay has shown, the framerate dips when the action goes up. Not sure how recent the demo is (probably not very; copyright was only up to 2007).

Whatever they're aiming for, the last playable demo I saw (CES2008) was a bit unstable in terms of framerate. It definitely seems like 60fps at times, but like previous in-game cutscenes and gameplay has shown, the framerate dips when the action goes up. Not sure how recent the demo is (probably not very; copyright was only up to 2007).

Yeah, the demo they used at CES was actually the TGS one. Given what CES is, I don't doubt that they just reused it.

1080P/60fps with 8 ROP/20.8GB/seg. GDDR3... i believe or guess only possibility in future with GDDR3 Bandwidth using only for renders/ROPs etc and good portion XDRAM/bandwith for textures,pixel shaders effects...counting in future less use of 7Âş SPE(for more compressing and others) and much less space for OS,game code etc.

MGS4 maybe using 1280x1080 like GT5 prologue or 960x1080P for upscaled.

(sometime im read about psone devs useing only 20% of 2MB main RAM for game code and most part use for textures,graphics etc despite 1MB VRAM for this)

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect that gameplay will be 60fps, but cinematics will be locked to 24fps for better movie effect. Just like in MGS2.

720p offcourse.

Now there's an interesting idea... If they can get 720p at a solid 60fps, but would lock cinematics at 24fps... Could they kick things up to 1080p for the cinematics? Would most TV's right now would be too overt and annoying when switching resolutions? Would backgrounds designed for 720p not get too much benefit from a resolution hop?

I rather assume they would be using higher-quality models and AA/AF increases instead, but I'm curious what technical issues might crop of to try to push things to 1080p.

For 24fps you need motion blur that matches a film camera for it to look right. without any blur it would look like a battle scene from gladiator.

It'd probably not match the TV's refresh rate either, resulting in jittery motion when the camera's panning...

that's true. So I guess you need to run it at 30fps and add 3:2 pulldown or drop a supporting display into 24hz mode.

Were the cinematics in MGS2(and MGS3) really rendered at an intentionally low 24FPS? That explains why they nearly gave me a migraine... I thought the low framerate was from how aggressive the cinematics were... Intentionally rendering at such a low framerate for real time 3D rendering is pretty stupid IMO...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they ran at 25fps for PAL and 30fps for NTSC (PAL having higer resolution also)?

I know that on PAL and my xbox games ran at 25fps or 50fps (50Hz). There was though an option to use 60Hz if the TV supported it making games run at 30/60fps.

Back