Switch graphics are unquantifiably awesome shit. *cycle*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodtwin

Veteran
Supporter
So far we have had a lot of positive results from third parties and the Switch. EA has talked up their custom Fifa engine for Switch, and how it outclasses the previous generation builds in pretty much every way. Ubisoft didn't fail to impress with their engine Snow Drop on Switch, Mario+Rabbids looks excellent, and renders at 900p docked and 600p portable. Digital Foundry walked away from playing Skyrim on Switch with nothing but praise and spoke highly of the rock solid performance. We have even heard rumors of Fallout 4 potentially being ported. There is a Direct later today that is supposedly focused on third party games, so expect a few surprises, and Fallout 4 would be one of them. Ubisoft has recommitted Steep to be ported to Switch, although I am still somewhat skeptical after hearing rumors about poor performance plaguing the port to Switch.

I have also seen new reports suggesting that the retail build of Mario Odyssey will run in 1080p 60fps docked. Splatoon 2 runs at 1080p 60 and so does Mario Kart 8. It has to be getting tough for naysayers, Switch does indeed split the difference between PS4/X1 and PS3/360 pretty nicely. If Switch can maintain good sales momentum I believe it safe to assume that Western publishers who have thus been cautious will likely bring a lot more support in 2018. The titles skipping the platform may end up being the exception rather than the rule.

So far we have had a lot of positive results from third parties and the Switch. EA has talked up their custom Fifa engine for Switch, and how it outclasses the previous generation builds in pretty much every way. Ubisoft didn't fail to impress with their engine Snow Drop on Switch, Mario+Rabbids looks excellent, and renders at 900p docked and 600p portable. Digital Foundry walked away from playing Skyrim on Switch with nothing but praise and spoke highly of the rock solid performance. We have even heard rumors of Fallout 4 potentially being ported. There is a Direct later today that is supposedly focused on third party games, so expect a few surprises, and Fallout 4 would be one of them. Ubisoft has recommitted Steep to be ported to Switch, although I am still somewhat skeptical after hearing rumors about poor performance plaguing the port to Switch.

I have also seen new reports suggesting that the retail build of Mario Odyssey will run in 1080p 60fps docked. Splatoon 2 runs at 1080p 60 and so does Mario Kart 8. It has to be getting tough for naysayers, Switch does indeed split the difference between PS4/X1 and PS3/360 pretty nicely. If Switch can maintain good sales momentum I believe it safe to assume that Western publishers who have thus been cautious will likely bring a lot more support in 2018. The titles skipping the platform may end up being the exception rather than the rule.

Mario rabbids doesn't impress me at all, 900p, and not even a solid 30fps, is not really impressive for those graphics, it looks like a upgraded mario 3d world, but at half the frame rate. splatoon 2 runs at mostly at 860p going by DF video, skyrim will have to wait for the full analysis because it was connected via a meaty-looking cable harness leading into a closed box, according to DF. Fifa shows good results, but they had to make a custom engine for that, NBA2K18 are pretty bad results down graded graphics at 30fps. they showed some footage of doom on switch, and the game looks horrible, like even hard recognize.

So was just watching the Nintendo Direct and DOOM (2016) and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus were announced for Switch:

Definitely surprised.

Getting closer and closer to the big pubs committing to the Switch. In other words not just experimenting with ports of older games. Wolfenstein 2 being a new release. Still not UBIsoft level of commitment with new IP for the console, but it's still good to see 3rd party publishers committing to the platform with large AAA releases.

Also a lot better than in the Wii days where the ports of AAA titles were rather bad or castrated in some way.

It'll be interesting to see how Bethesda's ports end up doing, both in performance and in sales. Right now I'm hearing a lot of good things about Mario + Rabbids and how it's an excellent take on X-com combat that is more accessible without ruining it by dumbing it down too far.

Regards,
SB

Doom strikes me as a game that can scale really well for the Switch. You could probably strip out a good chunk of the effects and still have it look reasonable.

I'm not sure that all AAA titles would fair so well. Blizzard have already said that Overwatch isn't happening. You'd think that if Doom is possible that would be too.

Doom strikes me as a game that can scale really well for the Switch. You could probably strip out a good chunk of the effects and still have it look reasonable.

I'm not sure that all AAA titles would fair so well. Blizzard have already said that Overwatch isn't happening. You'd think that if Doom is possible that would be too.

I think it's more because keeping 4 versions of the game updated would be a pain in the ass, not because the Switch can't run it. They may change their minds in the future if the user base gets big enough.

It's an encouraging sign, though. I'm curious as to see how the final version of Doom on Switch will look and play, though.

I wonder if these bethesda games can achieve 60fps without game logic cutbacks. Doom can run on a potato i3 but 3 cores at 1ghz might be a bit of a stretch...

I kind of expect very similar graphics to the other versions but at 30fps.

These are impressive news! But Switch needs to come down in price a bit for me to get one. Still, first Nintendo console I want since ever!

Honestly with the kind of graphics the switch is pushing it's not tough at all for the naysayers, its games look horrible for 2017 standards . I mean splatoon 2 and Mario kart 8 ? Give me a break....

Oh and based on the trailer doom looks like a joke on this thing.

Why do people like you even bother replying to threads like this?

Name one portable device that has dedicated controls, can be easily hooked up to your tv, has a real software library, costs 300 dollars or less AND has better graphics than switch?

I just watched the trailer on my tv and even with crappy YouTube compression it looks fine.

Sure, not that same as on your 1080ti but it's not like it looks as Doom 1 running at 1080p. Pretty sure that for people who haven't played the game on a different platform it is close enough not to be bothered about it.

The truth of the matter is that there were many many pages of discussion on these boards debating about the consequence of using the Tegra X1. The narrative for many was that the hardware limitations were a hard barrier for third party ports, and that Switch would not receive ports because the hardware was not capable enough. Those of us who refuted this never once insinuated that the ports wouldn't see compromises. Of course the ports will not be on par with the PS4/X1, the hardware rocks a fraction of the raw horsepower that those consoles have.

It may be hard to discern much from a lighting standpoint since there could be other factors such as colour grading and compression. The screens are also tiny unless I'm missing the CSI: Miami button. :p

Shadow resolution does take a hit in the scene with the Cyberdemon's fist coming through the door. Cyberdemon also seems blurrier, but it may be due to the overall resolution being lower; ultimately they'll tailor the virtual texture page size to the available RAM.

The scene on the table looks like they keep the DOF, but is lower resolution - not sure if that's because it's doing another downsize step or just because it's starting from a lower res.

Would be pretty interesting to hear what their experience was porting it especially since we know Wolfenstein II is also making use of FP16 shading.

Honestly with the kind of graphics the switch is pushing it's not tough at all for the naysayers, its games look horrible for 2017 standards . I mean splatoon 2 and Mario kart 8 ? Give me a break....

Oh and based on the trailer doom looks like a joke on this thing.

Mario Kart 8 looks good even on Wii U. Though image quality is a bit rough on that console admittedly.

As for Deluxe, it'd look at home on the Ps4. No it doesn't have real time global illumination or physically based rendering, but neither do 60fps games on the PS4 that I know of. Not to mention, those things aren't contingent on whether a game looks good, and may not be the best technical choice based on a given art direction.

Honestly, image quality, loading and pop up are my only real technical gripes left in games today. And performance obviously. Other than that games are all looking pretty nice these days, even on low end hardware.

The truth of the matter is that there were many many pages of discussion on these boards debating about the consequence of using the Tegra X1. The narrative for many was that the hardware limitations were a hard barrier for third party ports, and that Switch would not receive ports because the hardware was not capable enough. Those of us who refuted this never once insinuated that the ports wouldn't see compromises. Of course the ports will not be on par with the PS4/X1, the hardware rocks a fraction of the raw horsepower that those consoles have.
Most scheptics of next-gen ports also never argued that with enough downgrading ps4bone games couldnt be made to run on switch somehow. The matter was if the financial return would be there to make the investmebt required for such ports economically viable. Sales of Doom and Wolfenstein will further inform us on this tale.

On a technical note, Doom is one of the most scalable AAA games out there. It uses virtual memory systems for texturing, shadow-mapping and particle lighting. Put on top of that dynamic resolution, 60fps and the kind of clean code id software likes to write. Wolfenstein probably shares the same tech. Not all other engines are on that same level, although, scalability has been an important consideration for almost all studios for the last decade.

Most scheptics of next-gen ports also never argued that with enough downgrading ps4bone games couldnt be made to run on switch somehow. The matter was if the financial return would be there to make the investmebt required for such ports economically viable. Sales of Doom and Wolfenstein will further inform us on this tale.

On a technical note, Doom is one of the most scalable AAA games out there. It uses virtual memory systems for texturing, shadow-mapping and particle lighting. Put on top of that dynamic resolution, 60fps and the kind of clean code id software likes to write. Wolfenstein probably shares the same tech. Not all other engines are on that same level, although, scalability has been an important consideration for almost all studios for the last decade.

True, but you also have Skyrim and potentially Fallout 4 coming to the platform. Those are the complete antithesis of Doom and presumably Wolfenstein 2 with regards to clean code and bugginess. I think Skyrim and Fallout 4 may give us an idea of how well more generalized ports may do.

Of course, that always comes with the caveate of how much time and resources was spent on the port. And whether sales on the Switch will warrant a significant investment of time and resources (assuming a significant investment is required for a good port) to port AAA titles over. It may be that the fact that the Switch uses a fairly standard NV GPU core will make ports potentially easier, especially when compared with past Nintendo console (both home and portable) architectures. The ARM CPU cores do potentially complicate things, however.

Regards,
SB

Is your point that the engine is so old it won't scale up to Switch hardware because the game is coming up on 6 years from it's initial release?

Is your point that the engine is so old it won't scale up to Switch hardware because the game is coming up on 6 years from it's initial release?

More the fact that I don't think anyone considered any of the Bethesda TES engines (used for Fallout as well) to be especially clean or efficient while many consider the latest iDsoft engine for Doom to be particularly clean/efficient. The terminology may not be correctly, but I'm working on little sleep here and my brain can't think of a more appropriate description.

Regards,
SB

It may be that the fact that the Switch uses a fairly standard NV GPU core will make ports potentially easier, especially when compared with past Nintendo console (both home and portable) architectures. The ARM CPU cores do potentially complicate things, however.

That may well be one of the, if not the most important reason. Plus nvidia might even be providing engineers to help with it, since they already do for PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back