Will 5 bundled BD-movies help push PS3 sales?

Well the facts do not support this claim. HD-DVD has like 60% of the standalone market and yet BD are like 70% of HD movie sales. How does that work out if the PS3 has no impact on movie sales?
Nobody's saying it has absolutely no impact whatsoever. They're just saying that the impact of a PS3 is far, far less than that of a standalone player.

Even the article in the link you provided ended on this note: "Of course, if you count the PlayStation 3 (PS3) as a Blu-ray player, there are twenty times more total Blu-ray players on the market." You honestly think PS3 can keep this ratio up? By the time HD-DVD sells 1M units, will PS3 sell 20M?

Heck no. In another post, someone said the ratio was only 5:1 in North America, but even that is impossible to sustain. HD-DVD's lead over BluRay in standalone players could quadruple by year's end. PS3 sales won't. That's the key point here. PS3's share of the HD player market will only fall now, just as it has been ever since its Euro launch. The same is probably true of the XBox player, since the standalones are better and now much cheaper (in terms of total cost). Even with my early skepticism of the PS3's effect as a movie player, I never expected its impact to be so fleeting.

PS3 could have given a knockout blow to HD-DVD, but poor sales and a very weak movie attach rate failed to do so. Since April, it's not even a 2:1 advantage in disc sales, which is nowhere near enough to secure victory.

HD-DVD will live for quite a while now. If it ever starts down the road to obsolescence, my guess is that the earliest we'll see it is in 2009, assuming BluRay can reach cost parity and dominate player sales in holiday 2008, and it'll probably stick around for a while after that.

You honestly think PS3 can keep this ratio up? By the time HD-DVD sells 1M units, will PS3 sell 20M?
HD DVD sold 300K units total including the Xbox add-on in a year since the launch, I think it's not an impossible scenario.

Nobody's saying it has absolutely no impact whatsoever. They're just saying that the impact of a PS3 is far, far less than that of a standalone player.

If I said something inaccurate feel free to correct me, otherwise I'm not sure why you quoted me with your response. The only one who said something unfounded was Sugarcoat, I responded with numbers from my head, he asked for links, I provided them.

Of course a PS3 has far less impact on HD movie sales as a standalone player, that is clear from the data and completely logical, who was arguing otherwise? Not I.

If I said something inaccurate feel free to correct me, otherwise I'm not sure why you quoted me with your response. The only one who said something unfounded was Sugarcoat, I responded with numbers from my head, he asked for links, I provided them.

Of course a PS3 has far less impact on HD movie sales as a standalone player, that is clear from the data and completely logical, who was arguing otherwise? Not I.

actually if you look at what i said, i said the PS3s impact isnt that large, essentially, and you for some reason placed words into my mouth responding as if i said the PS3 literally effected nothing, check your own post, 31, above. The reason why i continued was i thought you were pressing that the PS3 is selling BRD movies well, which is not something i agree with at all, and have never seen such a thing supported in any sales charts.

Again the origonal point i was pressing is that PS3 purchasers are primarily going to want it as a gaming platform, so as i said, this deal looks to me like nothing more then a strategic move to bolster BRD movie numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually if you look at what i said, i said the PS3s impact isnt that large, essentially, and you for some reason placed words into my mouth

Even though the PS3 gave a huge sales boost to Blu-Ray players the actual BRD sales havent moved all that much.

I guess I read this wrong. It reads like you are saying the PS3 has had little effect on BD sales, when in fact it is the only reason BD is out selling HD-DVD every month. When did I put words in your mouth?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25736714

The report's author, Dale Gilliam III, commented, "Today's next-generation games consoles, such as the Xbox 360 or Sony PlayStation 3, are true digital multimedia powerhouses. Yet very few of these devices are connected to the Internet, and even though these same platforms may feature a high-definition DVD playback system, very few consumers are using them for nongaming media applications."

The report criticised the lack of consumer awareness that consoles were also multimedia players. According to the group, the report "demonstrates how poorly many consumers understand the capabilities of today's game consoles and a major barrier to persuading consumers to start using these platforms for nongaming media consumption."

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42401

it is the only reason BD is out selling HD-DVD every month.

I honestly dont understand how you can come to that conclusion without factoring in release dates of titles out of each camp, as in the fact that more interesting/popular releases have been coming out on BRD over the last 6 months which is huge. Another thing is the quality of the movies is now matching that of HD-DVD where previously they were generally of poorer quality, again this matters quite a bit to early adopters. Or again the fact that the sales growth have been pretty stagnant, not constantly increasing with the PS3s growing & huge user base. The first significant jump that BRD had over HD-DVD was right around the time when the PS3 hit its first million sold (where it peaked), it has NOT gained significant percent, over its growth back in the start of the year which it indeed would as the PS3 userbase doubled and then tripled which it has up to this date i believe. Marketing the PS3 as a BRD player simply isnt a strength. BRD is outselling HD-DVD but it is NOT only because of the PS3 which is exactly what you make it sound like. That is an obtuse view. And of course the best part is most data is taken on faith without researching where its coming from, and most posts, like the one you linked to, use multiple sources, so you have no idea how accurate or inaccurate any data, and thus conclusions, are. The fact that you and others here see perhaps huge potential in the fact that the PS3 is a BRD movie player, doesnt mean all the owners, and surely not the majority, do. If the PS3 was such a huge hit as a movie player HD-DVD would literally be obliterated. No contest. We arent seeing that.

Further more any effect you see the PS3 have since its release is quite literally going to be the best case scenerio for the time being. The early adopters are the best chance at users who are serious about spending the bucks on the new format movies as well and creating a significant HD library. As the PS3 ages in the first few years and comes down in price it will return further to being known/wanted primarily to play popular game titles, especially to kids who are ignorant to even the existence of any format war.

When did I put words in your mouth?

Pretty sure the bolded is implying i said that no?

How does that work out if the PS3 has no impact on movie sales?

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly dont understand how you can come to that conclusion without factoring in release dates of titles out of each camp, as in the fact that more interesting/popular releases have been coming out on BRD over the last 6 months which is huge. Another thing is the quality of the movies is now matching that of HD-DVD where previously they were generally of poorer quality, again this matters quite a bit to early adopters. Or again the fact that the sales growth have been pretty stagnant, not constantly increasing with the PS3s growing & huge user base. The first significant jump that BRD had over HD-DVD was right around the time when the PS3 hit its first million sold (where it peaked), it has NOT gained significant percent, over its growth back in the start of the year which it indeed would as the PS3 userbase doubled and then tripled which it has up to this date i believe. Marketing the PS3 as a BRD player simply isnt a strength. BRD is outselling HD-DVD but it is NOT only because of the PS3 which is exactly what you make it sound like. That is an obtuse view. And of course the best part is most data is taken on faith without researching where its coming from, and most posts, like the one you linked to, use multiple sources, so you have no idea how accurate or inaccurate any data, and thus conclusions, are. The fact that you and others here see perhaps huge potential in the fact that the PS3 is a BRD movie player, doesnt mean all the owners, and surely not the majority, do. If the PS3 was such a huge hit as a movie player HD-DVD would literally be obliterated. No contest. We arent seeing that.

Further more any effect you see the PS3 have since its release is quite literally going to be the best case scenerio for the time being. The early adopters are the best chance at users who are serious about spending the bucks on the new format movies as well and creating a significant HD library. As the PS3 ages in the first few years and comes down in price it will return further to being known/wanted primarily to play popular game titles, especially to kids who are ignorant to even the existence of any format war.

I presented data with links, you write a thesis based on what, feelings? The facts remain, BD standalone units are 40% of the market yet BD sell 65% of the movies, the difference is the PS3. If you have something of substance to add, find some numbers or articles.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25736714
...The report criticised the lack of consumer awareness that consoles were also multimedia players. According to the group, the report "demonstrates how poorly many consumers understand the capabilities of today's game consoles and a major barrier to persuading consumers to start using these platforms for nongaming media consumption."
I saw this article but didn't post it here because it doesn't contribute much to this particular subject, as it doesn't isolate BRD from DVD. It broadly pushes PS3 in with 80% don't use it for media playback, but that's a mean average. Take 3 million PS3s, out of maybe 170 million consoles, and even if 100% use PS3 for media playback it'll affect the average very little.

Free is good and attractive no matter what your income. I can afford 5 BD-ROM movies(they're barely more expensive than new DVD's anyway)but if I didn't already own a PS3, 5 free movies would certainly be an attractive offer.

I presented data with links, you write a thesis based on what, feelings? The facts remain, BD standalone units are 40% of the market yet BD sell 65% of the movies, the difference is the PS3. If you have something of substance to add, find some numbers or articles.

i prefer common sense and logical reasoning over coming to a conclusion based on my brand loyalty which, if you dont mind my say so, it seems you're doing on a large part. As i said, your view is very obtuse in crowning the PS3 the sole reason for the increase. And with that, im finished in this thread since we'll be running in circles.

Back