WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple solution for Star Wars Wiightsaber game: Make the block hitboxes a bit larger, and make it grow larger as more Force/experience is aquired, at least up to a limit.

But it should allow the player to focus on other things, at least in the puzzlewise department.

As for rendering, I'm notice that characters have this new type of "gloss mapping" (very similar to the "shineiness" skin of NBALive'06 for XB360), or some sort of illumination. I've noticed other next-gen consoles using the same "skin-shimmer" technique. Can it be the much toughted "light-diffusion" for skin?

Last edited by a moderator:
sfried said:
As for rendering, I'm notice that characters have this new type of "gloss mapping" (very similar to the "shineiness" skin of NBALive'06 for XB360), or some sort of illumination. I've noticed other next-gen consoles using the same "skin-shimmer" technique. Can it be the much toughted "light-diffusion" for skin?

Are you talking about sub-surface scattering, the technique that the Crysis engine employs to make the skin look more natural?

pc999 said:
Because ERP coments?

PS: sorry for the OT, just thought it dont worth a new thread, I guess I has wrong.

no not because of ERP comments. just starting not to believe they doubled the amount of pixel pipelines.
I HOPE I'm wrong though.

I do believe the TEV is significantly upgraded.

no problem about the OT, i just said it before anyone else did. i dont actually care.
but usually someone will 'say please get back on-topic'.

think we'll hear anything on that interview? it's been over 2 weeks now.

I have been looking at some video/images and I am starting to get conviced that Wii will have a lot of special purpose or even fixed function HW.

That because lots of games seems to be using very similar fxs for example in Mario Galaxy look at the bullets and look at the robots in Project Hammer the lighting is equal.

Or in MP3 if you look at the shadowing on Samus and on the players of Madden they also look the same (diferent dev teams).

Or the light/selfshadows from the RS trailer, Pokemon, SSBB and Pangya (also all from very diferent dev teams).

Or the smoke from the rockets from MP3 and on CoD3 on Wii.

If true I guess that shading will have a second plane again (ie just some special uses like water and such).

I wonder if this is case if games will not start to look to much similar for it own good...

BTW ANY NEWS FEARSOMEPIRATE :?: ;)

Megadrive1988 said:
no not because of ERP comments. just starting not to believe they doubled the amount of pixel pipelines.
I HOPE I'm wrong though.

I do believe the TEV is significantly upgraded.

no problem about the OT, i just said it before anyone else did. i dont actually care.
but usually someone will 'say please get back on-topic'.

think we'll hear anything on that interview? it's been over 2 weeks now.

You seem to still have the GC Turbo term on your mine. Like I said in a post a page or two back, Ubisoft mentioned using PC's to spec for RS development. There wouldn't be much point in doing so if the hardware is what you think it may be.

I think the problem is, Nintendo is not creating a PS3 or 360 technically. At E3, we finally get to see some games and some don't look that much better than current gen games, particularly non-nintendo games, Ubisoft being the exception. Lets consider the fact that Nintendo may have started development on the same devkits, just alot sooner. Everyone seem to be looking for normal maps, which from looking at alot of Japanese developed games, they don't seem to incoporate them at all.

First fighting game for 360 lack any self-shadowing, also there's of list games on GAF. With Farcry being apart of that list. The list, from my understanding the list is, never mind here's a link, http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/6/15-24

We all know that Farcry was one of the first titles to toute normal maps(polybump maps), so I say expect that and more as far as visual capabilities.

IIRC FC had been planed for GC too, at least in the tech page from Crytech they had GC as (fully?) suported in the engine.

pc999 said:
IIRC FC had been planed for GC too, at least in the tech page from Crytech they had GC as (fully?) suported in the engine.

True, I think memory caused setbacks. It would have more than likely been a port from the Xbox version. Technically that would have been nightmare to port. Only option left, would be going from the ground up, which in Ubisofts likely opinion wasn't financially sound.

pc999 said:
I have been looking at some video/images and I am starting to get conviced that Wii will have a lot of special purpose or even fixed function HW.

That because lots of games seems to be using very similar fxs for example in Mario Galaxy look at the bullets and look at the robots in Project Hammer the lighting is equal.

Or in MP3 if you look at the shadowing on Samus and on the players of Madden they also look the same (diferent dev teams).

Or the light/selfshadows from the RS trailer, Pokemon, SSBB and Pangya (also all from very diferent dev teams).

Or the smoke from the rockets from MP3 and on CoD3 on Wii.

If true I guess that shading will have a second plane again (ie just some special uses like water and such).

I wonder if this is case if games will not start to look to much similar for it own good...

BTW ANY NEWS FEARSOMEPIRATE :?: ;)

It could just be standard dev libraries, a lot of xbox games had identicle looking shaders too.

Ooh-videogames said:
True, I think memory caused setbacks. It would have more than likely been a port from the Xbox version. Technically that would have been nightmare to port. Only option left, would be going from the ground up, which in Ubisofts likely opinion wasn't financially sound.

64 to 24 Mgs can be very bad for such game.

Fox5 said:
It could just be standard dev libraries, a lot of xbox games had identicle looking shaders too.

Meybe, but there is none with original code, improbably I guess.

pc999 said:

Meybe, but there is none with original code, improbably I guess.

If it has a similar shader architecture to gamecube, the standard stuff may be almost required to get devs to make use of it. And many early xbox games all used the same shader effects (heck, even many pc games) so even are more capable architectures devs can be lazy.

pc999 said:

I wouldn't really say it was 64MB to 24MB, considering a lot of game code and all sound code could be put into the 16MB A-Ram (plus GC's on chip ram saved at least 2MB of main memory).

Fox5 said:
If it has a similar shader architecture to gamecube, the standard stuff may be almost required to get devs to make use of it.

It is that hard make (good) use of the TEV?

And many early xbox games all used the same shader effects (heck, even many pc games) so even are more capable architectures devs can be lazy.

But if it is similar to GC then those are experienced devs they should have a good portfolio of shaders to be used.

Teasy said:
I wouldn't really say it was 64MB to 24MB, considering a lot of game code and all sound code could be put into the 16MB A-Ram (plus GC's on chip ram saved at least 2MB of main memory).

Ok, IIRC memory/loading has been the main problem and even if we suposse 16Mgs just for sound/code (which is really a lot for last gen standards specially given that many has been streamed) it still have more 22Mgs, almost twice the memory usefull for gfx work in GC, that must do diference in a game like this here memory is king.

Here is a new Red Steel (French) interview: http://www.overgame.com/page/21836.htm

The most interesting comment in the interview is the part where, the interviewer ask how the Wii compare to the Xbox:
(Babel Fish Translation) "I do not have the right to speak in details of what Wii can do graphically. What one can say, it is that on the sum of all that it can do, Wii is more powerful than Xbox. But there are things which Xbox can make and which Wii cannot make."

So the Wii is more powerful than the XBox, but the Xbox can do some GFX effect than the Wii cannot do? So the TEV limits are still there?

human translation (approximative) from part of the interview..

How are managed katana fight ?

It consists of moves detections. They are recorded, compared to a database of known moves and, if there is a matching, the software run the corresponding animation. This is not real positioning.

[...]

Could Red Steel be the pioneer of a game style where are more used to find on PS2 or xbox, with a different interface ?

It's what we tried to do. It's becuase of that Nintendo came to us. They said they can do games like Zelda or Mario, but ther need ud - one could said out expertise - to do thing they may be unable to do : FPS that are a little bit adult-oriented, a bit more action-oriented. Metroids, despite its FPS base, is more of a aventure/platform game.

Here the universer is a lot darker.

We'll try to be rated "Teens" [in the US], relating to the trouble videogames suffer in the country. It's because of that there will be no blood or limb or dismembering. This is for marketing reasons, concerning the US. But the background and scenario will be definitively dark.

Is RedSteel an universe that can evolve, the beginning of a new franchise.

We'll try to do that. It's a little bit the objective of this partnership with nintendo.

c_k_i_t said:
Here is a new Red Steel (French) interview: http://www.overgame.com/page/21836.htm

The most interesting comment in the interview is the part where, the interviewer ask how the Wii compare to the Xbox:
(Babel Fish Translation) "I do not have the right to speak in details of what Wii can do graphically. What one can say, it is that on the sum of all that it can do, Wii is more powerful than Xbox. But there are things which Xbox can make and which Wii cannot make."

So the Wii is more powerful than the XBox, but the Xbox can do some GFX effect than the Wii cannot do? So the TEV limits are still there?

I wouldn't put too much stock into that comment, the TEV isn't DirectX based. I believe its up to devs to come up with the code for certain GFX, most GFX for DirectX are already common knowledge. To echo Julian of Factor 5 said, you just have to do it differently.

hupfinsgack said:
For all the French speaking folks: That is a really good interview.

Yes very nice.

Will graphics of Wii be also progressing?

With my opinion, quality will remain relatively stable. Wii is rather close to Gamecube. It is more powerful but that remains the same type of environment; these are things that the developers know well. I think that it is about a console which, upon the departure, will put the graphic bar at the neighbourhoods of the maximum of its capacities. There will be surely people who will a little further push it but as it is about an architecture very easy to control, one sees all quickly that one can make with.

"I do not have the right to speak in details of what Wii can do graphically. What one can say, it is that on the sum of all that it can do, Wii is more powerful than Xbox. But there are things which Xbox can make and which Wii cannot make."

This is strage as we saw at least a few fx (like ss) that are way better than XB shows and if the flipper cant do it then it should be the CPU, while out side this fxs there is nothingh that couldnt be done (and surpassed) on the XB unless they had put in there a monster CPU, strage very strange IMO...

(It is also strage for a lot of other things)

How are managed katana fight ?

It consists of moves detections. They are recorded, compared to a database of known moves and, if there is a matching, the software run the corresponding animation. This is not real positioning.

This is really bad IMO, unless they have a huge (near infinite) database, it didnt looked this way from the trailer. Will this ever change:?: :?: :?:

c_k_i_t said:

hmmm, it could indicate certain types of pixel shader effects. i know NV2A can do some pixel shadings that TEV cannot do, but also, TEV can do some things that NV2A cannot do.

also, NV2A has 8 texture mapping units. the Flipper has the equivalent of 4, all combined in the TEV.

NV2A can pump out 1864M texels/sec or 1.86 billion texels/sec. (bilinear filtered)
the Flipper can only pump out 648M texels/sec (trilinear filtered) so Flippers texel rate is equal to that of its pixel fillrate. but NV2A's texel rate is twice that of its pixel fillrate.

however, Flipper does have more framebuffer / graphics memory bandwidth internally with the embedded IT-SRAM.

Assuming that Hollywood does not have 2 TEV units, or a single TEV unit that can push out *8* texels per clock cycle, then NV2A would still have an advantage in texel rate. however even with 4 pixel pipelines/ROPs Hollywood could have an advantage over NV2A in pixel fillrate, as long as the core is clocked higher than 233 MHz (NV2A's clock). Developers have been working with 243 MHz Flippers or Flipper+ units.

will be interesting to see what the final Hollywood is clocked at. I think also, that Hollywood will have some neat tricks that NV2A cannot do.

but the word from the interview is, Wii as a whole is more powerful than Xbox.

c_k_i_t - thanks for posting part of the translation of the new Red Steel interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back